Irritable/depressed after workout?

Options
This is a bit embarrassing to talk about but does anyone else experience this?
I strength train usually 3 days a week and cardio usually once per week. The problem is that immediately after working out, I get this burst of extreme irritability and depression. As in, I start yelling at people for no reason, I feel totally out of control, and get really depressed to the point of not wanting to do anything or leave my house ever again. It's crazy! It takes about an hour or two for this burst to wear off and then I'm fine. I'm normally a very positive and calm person. Normally, nothing ever bothers me much. I don't even get PMS!

I have tried:
Working out in the mornings before I've eaten
Eating before a workout and not after
Eating after and not before
Now I am eating carbs before a workout and protein after
I am eating 1550 calories per day right now but I had the same effects at 1200 and whatever I was eating before I started counting calories (obviously too many). I've always experienced this after a workout as far as I remember.

Could this be hormonal? Or something I'm doing wrong? Or just mixed up signals to my brain? O_o
I've tried googling it but cant find anything other than people who overtrain and obviously I don't overtrain lol.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This is weird. Exercise endorphins normal put people at peace, not leave them in an aggressive state. What type of workouts are you doing?

What's your total bodyweight right now? Judging by your ticker alone, 1500 may not be enough cals.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I always feel awesome...seriously.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 208lbs

I do 30DS, running, squats, planks, pushups, crunches, etc. Things like that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How long has it been happening? Is working out relatively new for you?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 208lbs

I think you aren't eating enough. I eat more than you (around 1800-1900 lately) and I'm 5"2, older and 117lbs... no lifting yet either so I'll eat even more then.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like crap after a workout, and my mood really takes a dive. Other times I get really sleepy. I never really gave it much of a thought but it's possible it could be hormonal...
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest eating a bit more maybe.. also, have you tried changing your work-out routine?
    do you enjoy doing what you're doing?

I just know, for me, I always feel kick-*kitten* after running, because I love doing it.

Maybe you have to find a sport that you actually enjoy doing and then you'll feel much better afterwards?:)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Possibly lack of enough fuel, or lack of enough water, or lack of enough vitamins and minerals. Could be too much cortisol (this is a stress hormone, it increases with any kind of physical or emotional stress on your body, including lack of sleep, dieting, and physical exertion).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 208lbs

I do 30DS, running, squats, planks, pushups, crunches, etc. Things like that.

Lets get you up to 1800, plus exercise cals, then figure out what to do from there. As you adjust to the exercise you may be able to get by with 1500, but early on, I never recommend someone cut their calories at all, much less down to 1200-1500. Too much stress. Stress makes people angry. Angry people lash out.

Eat more
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This has been happening as long as I remember. All throughout my different calorie levels. I do enjoy the exercises while I'm doing them and my mind is pretty clear while I'm working out. It's just like a burst of (bad) energy right after. I just recently increased my calories to 1550 from 1400. Before that I was at 1200. I'm slowly increasing my calories but so far it hasn't helped with this. I will try increasing my calories more anyway.
  • EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options
    Interesting. I tend to get the same way after a workout. I've written it off as being too hard on myself and not appreciating the accomplishment but rather what I wish I could do.
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You might try "treating" yourself to a healthy, sweetened smoothie right afterwards just to tell your body and mind "good job".
    Or a nice sweet cup of your favorite yogurt. When I weight trained 3X a week this is what I did because when I did not I left feeling drained of mind and body. I LOVED weight training, and sometimes poured too much into it and had nothing left for the rest of the day. This always helped. The sugar probably helped alot, too, with picking me up.:happy:
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This has been happening as long as I remember. All throughout my different calorie levels. I do enjoy the exercises while I'm doing them and my mind is pretty clear while I'm working out. It's just like a burst of (bad) energy right after. I just recently increased my calories to 1550 from 1400. Before that I was at 1200. I'm slowly increasing my calories but so far it hasn't helped with this. I will try increasing my calories more anyway.

It could very well be hormonal. Is there any way you can go to a doctor about it? Maybe there is some imbalance somewhere. I do recommend as others have said to eat more though to start!
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi. I really understand this. I know it sounds weird. I have been working out 5 - 6 days a week for over a year now, and I LOVE it! Seriously love it. If I miss (like go on holiday), I feel blue. That being said, around August I decided to do Insanity. I really didn't enjoy it, but once I start something I have to finish. I completed the full 9 weeks and was miserable every day of it. It really made me depressed and unhappy. Once completed, I went back to a Jillian Michael's workout, and literally within days of starting it, I was happy and pumped and motivated again.

My point? Maybe it is the workout program you are doing. Maybe you just don't enjoy that type of exercise. Though I liked the sweat and improvement of endurance whilst doing Insanity, I just hated the constant high intensity workouts. I thought I was mad because everybody loves them so much. But it really made me depressed.

Just a thought.....
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Are you pushing yourself too hard? Maybe try mixing up your routine. Try a different cardio something like dancing
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 208lbs

I think you aren't eating enough. I eat more than you (around 1800-1900 lately) and I'm 5"2, older and 117lbs... no lifting yet either so I'll eat even more then.

i agree here. It seems like you aren't eating enough and are crashing afterward.