are kids getting taller

I recently went to my oldest sisters middle school and I felt short. I've always considered myself a little over average at 5'9" but it seems different than when I went to school. Maybe because I went to a smaller school

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    haha, not all of them, but I think the things we add to our foods are adding to their height. My 14 yr old son is 6'3 & my 12 yr old daughter is 5'7. Can't wait to see how tall they are when they are done growing!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I recently went to my oldest sisters middle school and I felt short. I've always considered myself a little over average at 5'9" but it seems different than when I went to school. Maybe because I went to a smaller school

I have thought they were getting taller for the last 20 years...

I went to a small high school, and we shared a building with an elementary school. At 5'1" tall, I was mistaken for a 5th grader several times :(
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    I am the oldest of my cousins on both sides. My youngest cousin on one side is 21 and on the other side 17. I am in the top 3 of the smallest cousins on both side and i'm 5'8. :laugh: So maybe, depending on genetics, kids are taller now?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

dude...you seem to have body issues.

small calves, small wrists, now middle schoolers are taller than you.

you are what you are.

with acceptance comes happiness.

focus on the good and stop comparing yourself to everyone.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Most kids are taller than their parents and the girls are also more developed at a younger age. When I was in grade school 12 and 13 yr old girls were not wearing bras apart from maybe 1 or 2 in the whole class. Not so now.

It's all the hormones in the food and water that result from the medicating of most of the livestock that is consumed and that leeches into the drinking water from the things that are put into the ground. Not to mention the antibiotics and hormones in the milk. We have so many chemicals in our bodies I am surprised were not all allergic to everything and ADHD.
  • My son is 6ft 4 and my youngest daughter is 5ft 7 aged 16. yet my eldest daughter is 5ft 6 aged 24. im 5ft 10 and their father was over 6ft
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    As food becomes more available, people generally get taller. Of course there is a limit to this. A really telling statistic is if you look at the difference in average height of South Koreans vs. North Koreans. They are genetically the same people (and one of the most homogenous societies in the world) but there is a VERY significant height difference between the two areas due to the scarcity of food in North Korea. I want to say it's something like 3" shorter on average. I'll look and see if I can find the actual numbers.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    haha, not all of them, but I think the things we add to our foods are adding to their height. My 14 yr old son is 6'3 & my 12 yr old daughter is 5'7. Can't wait to see how tall they are when they are done growing!!

I'm with you. My son is 6'4" and my daughter is 5'7". My wife is 5'10" and I am 6'. Both taller than our parents.
    My daughter has stalled at 5'7" but she may still get another growth spurt. So far it seems my son has leveled off at 6'4" which is fine with him. It is already difficult finding pants at stores because "Big & Tall" stores only stock "Wide & Tall" not slim and tall sizes.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    This says 13 cm difference between North and South Korea (for children). That is a HUGE difference and solely the cause of nutritional issues!

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=2703912