Couch to 5k challenge anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I did W1, D1 today! I ran 14 minutes at the beginning and then did the first run of C25K! I'm excited - I hope I can stick it out this time! I walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.3 and felt pretty good. I'm not fast and God knows I'm not graceful, but I felt good! I'm excited to do it again! W1, D1 doesn't seem that hard since I've been noodling with running for a few weeks and can actually run for a bit, so I'm thinking about doing it again tomorrow - too soon? Should I take days off, even if I felt like it wasn't a huge challenge?

I would definitely take a day off in between runs. You may not feel it but your body needs time to recover. Good luck!

I did day 1 of week 5 yesterday and the 5-min runs felt so much easier than last week. I pushed the last run to 8 minutes. Four more weeks until my first 5k race!
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I love it. I have been able to keep up with the program and even though it can be tough, I find that on days that I jog I feel awesome, almost as good as when I was 20 years younger. I used to be a runner when I was in my late teens - early 20's. Sometimes I wonder if my body is remembering that after all of these years.:smile:
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I would really like to do it. I would like to participate in a 5k which is next month in Newtown Ct. I'm not supposed to run, but I figure I can put up with some pain; it will be nothing compared to what they have gone through.

I am also from CT and would love to do the 5k in Newtown, CT. We are so heart broken. It will be such a great honor to do it. Do you know when the deadline for registration is? Thanks

I am from CT as well. About 30 minutes from Newtown. I wish I could be ready to run 5k by then, but I am only on week 4 of c25k. Maybe I can find a way to support it in another way.
  • sepibo
    sepibo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in! :-) Thanks for the post! I just downloaded the C25K Free and will do it when I get home tonight.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started Week 6 yesterday - On week 1 day 1 I struggled with running 60 seconds so to have got this far is a huge achievement for me!

I would strongly recommend this program to anyone, no matter how fit/unfit you are - it IS possible :)
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would really like to do it. I would like to participate in a 5k which is next month in Newtown Ct. I'm not supposed to run, but I figure I can put up with some pain; it will be nothing compared to what they have gone through.

I am also from CT and would love to do the 5k in Newtown, CT. We are so heart broken. It will be such a great honor to do it. Do you know when the deadline for registration is? Thanks

I am from CT as well. About 30 minutes from Newtown. I wish I could be ready to run 5k by then, but I am only on week 4 of c25k. Maybe I can find a way to support it in another way.

There is a "virtual" 2.6 run/walk invite going around on Facebook for the Sandy Hook Angels! I will be running for them on Saturday!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll join you, although I've already started. I'm currently in Week 5 of the NHS (UK) C5K programme. I'm loving it but I find it very, very tough. I struggle to find people online who've found it as tough as me! (to give you an idea, I did 9 runs, not 3, in Week 4 before I could finish it). This week I'm facing a 20-minute run at the end of the week and I'm absolutely bricking it!

I couldn't run a minute when I started. Now I'm running 8 minutes (just!!), so I'm pretty pleased with myself! If you can do 6 minutes already you'll be fine.

I run on a treadmill indoors because at the moment I live in Malaysia and there's no way I'm running outside!

Good luck!
    Kate

I just did Week 5 Day 2 today, and then read what I should be doing on Friday, 20 MINUTES!!!! I'm game to give it a try! I run outside in Scotland so I've had frost, ice, snow flurries, fog and drizzle over the 5 weeks :smile: being perfectly honest I am LOVING it!
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options

There is a "virtual" 2.6 run/walk invite going around on Facebook for the Sandy Hook Angels! I will be running for them on Saturday!

Here is the info from Facebook:
    :: Saturday, December 22nd ::

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Walk or run.
    2.6 miles for 26 precious lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary.

If you'd like, wear green or white, Sandy Hook’s school colors.
    Embark by yourself. With others. With your community.
    Gather and unite.

May we help Sandy Hook find the strength to move forward.
    One foot in front of the other.
  • xJAMES311x
    Options
    I'm currently doing c25k too... Wk3 d2 is tonight... walking at 2.5 and running at 6.0... determined to not quit this time...
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm in... I just started on Week 7 of the program. I'm jogging for 25 mins straight (about 12 min/mile). I NEVER was able to jog or runner prior to staring this program. Stick with it and it will work!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner runner, Im on week 3 ...ill join add me! I cant run very long but can run for the 90 seconds :laugh: im hoping this program will help me run a mile without stopping!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Another graduate here. I've actually graduated twice, as I used the program to ease back into running after surgery (not injury related). Anyone is welcome to add me as a friend, or just let me know if you have any questions. I also highly suggest the following group, where there's lots of support and common questions already answered:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • TheNewJFR
    TheNewJFR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did W1D1 today, and realized how very out of shape I am. I did a marathon in 2001... I did about half of the runs, and then just power walked.

I am going to repeat week 1 once or twice until I get my groove back. Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays will be C25K days. Other days is strenght training.

I want it all back!
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have done one session. I walked at 3.5 and jogged at 5.5. That seemed like a reasonable pace for me. It was fun. I also did it on a treadmill.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Made it through week 5. I am starting week 6 tomorrow.
  • meganann77
    Options
    I'm in too! I started W5 D2 this morning... I couldn't finish the stage though! I've found the program great, but I had a busy week last week (work in retail... Christmas...failed to plan ahead and figure out WHEN to run... excuses excuses!!) and so I have gone 6 days without doing a run and really felt it today.

I took it slow and felt good during the first two runs but about 1 min into the 3rd run THE BURN hit like a brick wall and I gave up. I've paused the app and am planning on completing the workout later today (I know that splitting the workouts is pretty much useless but I may as well continue to get another 15 mins of cardio into my day).

It is disappointing to fail a stage after getting through the first four weeks fairly easily, but I'm glad I gave it a crack... I have failed the whole program before because I get distracted for a few days, which turns into a few weeks, which turns into a month, which turns into a year. This time I feel OK about backtracking a few stages if I need to... I'd rather get there slowly than not at all.

Good luck everyone else : )
  • smexime
    smexime Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in:> I started this morning with D1W1 of the c25k running plan on coolrunning.com.
    5 min. warm-up then alternate between 60 sec. jogging and 90 sec. brisk walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Don't know distance I ran but i was more going for completing 30 minutes( i know the plan says to start off with 20 but I felt I still had more energy or something for a lil longer). I totally surprised myself by actually finishing the whole 30 minutes. I have always thought runners looked so free, strong and graceful. I am looking forward to slowly but surely becoming one myself!
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did the Day two of Week One session. I hit the pavement instead of the treadmill. I could tell a huge difference. The pavement is tougher on the joints. I will probably continue the sessions on the treadmill. I was fitted at Omega Sports for the proper running shoe. I ran on a treadmill barefoot while a trained associate accessed my gait. It was videotaped, so I could actually see my ankles rolling inwardly. It has caused a lot of pain and injuries in the past! The shoes I bought to help prevent that from occuring are Asics. THese shoes helped immensely! I highly suggest being fitted for proper running shoes, otherwise it can lead to future injuries down the road.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to join! I am just finding and downloading the Android app now.

I have been walking/running regularly since August (before that it had been maybe four years but I've never been a real runner), and I am very proud that I have gone from walking an 18 min mile to running a 12 minute mile. Meaning, I can keep up a 5.0 running pace for 12 mins, then, even if I could go on, I always stop 'cause I'm tired and it's time to pat myself on the back and walk. I could probably do more if a bear were chasing me...

By alternating walking and running, I can finish 4.5 miles in an hour if I push myself. I can run at 6.0 for two minutes currently, and I have never done above 6.0.

I would love to get to the point of keeping a running pace for 5k (and then maybe more!) but I need the motivation to push through. I have been doing it on my own and it sounds like the structure of this program would be great for me to build endurance. I am on the treadmill almost every night anyway.

I look forward to doing this program with all of you!
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just finished W6d3 tonight. Feel good about how far I've come. Ready to tackle week 7 on Sunday.