Cravings- HELP

Options
The first two weeks of eating healthier were so easy. But today, I just want to eat everything I see. I guess coworkers bringing in food isn't helping. What can I do to get my mind off of bread, chocolate, candy, etc.?

Replies

• luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. During the holidays the company I work for receives tons of cookies and candies and chocolates from our vendors and suppliers. It's hard to stay away when there's so much good junk food out on the break room table. What I do, is I tell myself that if there's anything left when I go to eat lunch, I'll let myself have one or two (depending on what it is). It takes some will power, but usually it's all gone by then. :smile:
  • tonya_2010
    tonya_2010 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's so hard. lol I wish they would hide it from me! I'm trying to work on my self-control. lol
  • lalaleche
    lalaleche Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad to indulge once in a while! Its actually working towards your efforts and will keep you in the game for the long run if you do so. At least once a week reward yourself with a favorite food or something you crave, it will satisfy you mentally and physically. Especially after a continuous diet of a week it recommended to eat a "Treat meal" for so many positive reasons. So go ahead, enjoy yourself, but don't over do it! :happy:
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just stuck a piece of gum in my mouth to keep me from indulging in my office's feast of junk.
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    I fight cravings by figuring how many xtra minutes of cardio I will need to do to counter act the xtra calories I've consumed, sometimes just not worth it. Once a week I will indulge in something yummy that passes my desk....using the 3 bite rule, enjoying it , savor it and I'm good!
  • choozy0001
    Options
    It's hard during the holidays, if you can I'd say eat something just satisfy the craving. If you are like me, once I start I might not start for a while. I just try to avoid all the office spots that have the goodies. Try water, apples, bananas to keep your tummy full.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like to imagine that whoever brought the stuff in or made it didn't wash their hands....and it's so gross to me that I don't even WANT to eat it!! :laugh:
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The best thing my trainer taught me was not to deprive myself! He said if I crave chocolate, allow myself a glass chocolate milk (skim milk with sugar free chocolate syrup) or two devils food cookies (fat free- low calories). If I crave salty, I allow myself to eat some air popped popcorn with low sodium salt. The key to long term weightloss is to not feel deprived bc people usually fail or stop when they start to feel deprived. Good luck!!!! Hope this helps......:smile:
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The best thing my trainer taught me was not to deprive myself! He said if I crave chocolate, allow myself a glass chocolate milk (skim milk with sugar free chocolate syrup) or two devils food cookies (fat free- low calories). If I crave salty, I allow myself to eat some air popped popcorn with low sodium salt. The key to long term weightloss is to not feel deprived bc people usually fail or stop when they start to feel deprived. Good luck!!!! Hope this helps......:smile:

^^^ agree with not depriving myself of anything. The key is moderation! And chew gum/brush your teeth, that does help at times!

But this time of the year it IS very hard for me to resist the sweets and cheese tray and....you get my point.

I will get back on track after the new year!!!!

Good luck!!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, at my work-place we always get ridiculously yummy food that you shouldn't have if you're watching your weight. I'll sometimes let myself have half a serving of whatever it is or else I bring in my own healthy snack. It's worked pretty well so far.
  • tonya_2010
    tonya_2010 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good tips. I caved in and ate half of one of the big cresent rolls. Yummy! Now I want more but, I will resist.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It also helps to keep water at your desk. Every time you THINK about the extra food - try taking a drink of water. I agree with the do not deprive, but water helps to minimize the amount you indulge with.

Our director brought in cookies today. I had a cookie and almost 2 cups of water so I wouldn't be "hungry" for more!!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My husband can eat WHATEVER he wants... so I usually take a cookie or brownie or whatever home, let him eat it and I get a bite or two. It helps keep me in line and I don't feel like I'm missing out (and don't hurt anyone's feelings if they made it themselves). I also bring lots of low cal snacks to work with me so if I want to grab a bite of that cookie before I get home, I grab my grape tomatoes or almonds instead.
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad to indulge once in a while! Its actually working towards your efforts and will keep you in the game for the long run if you do so. At least once a week reward yourself with a favorite food or something you crave, it will satisfy you mentally and physically. Especially after a continuous diet of a week it recommended to eat a "Treat meal" for so many positive reasons. So go ahead, enjoy yourself, but don't over do it! :happy:

Great answer! This is a lifelong journey.....so you have to balance your choices and not deprive yourself all the time!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It also helps to keep water at your desk. Every time you THINK about the extra food - try taking a drink of water. I agree with the do not deprive, but water helps to minimize the amount you indulge with.

Our director brought in cookies today. I had a cookie and almost 2 cups of water so I wouldn't be "hungry" for more!!

THIS!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I went back to my lower carb (and leaner low carb) lifestyle- within a week my cravings were gone. I never think about bread unless I am at Costco and that nice lady has samples with butter- so I have it- yeah that was good- then move on. But when my diet is high in processed foods, especially non nutrious carbs- I am hungry all the time.

Even now when I am hungry- I automatically grab a big glass of water before decided what to have.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Low carb helps me immensely with my cravings. Whenever I go off it I start eating everything I can get my hands on. Not just junk, either. I noticed this past month when I was off low carb that I was eating everything. I mean, everything I could get my hands on!

Your mileage, as they say, may vary.