What Do You Do For Extra Money?

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Unfortunately, not a whole lot these days. I simply don't have the time with two rug rats in the house.

Exactly my problem (not that having kids is a problem)....I'm a banker and I don't get home until at least 7pm each night. Then I have to help take care of kids. Anything I do for extra needs to be something that doesn't require a ton of time during the week. For me I think doing the surveys and maybe starting a small eBay business is probably going to be my best bet. With eBay I can at least list things on the weekends and then ship out whatever needs to be shipped the following saturday.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    I used to do ebay things, but it seems few things do well nowadays.

I am mostly a stay at home Mama, but I do make money sewing. Not a huge amount, and I suppose I could make more if I put more effort into and expand the type of items I am willing to sew for the public....but I limit things now to only a few things because of time.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I'm thinking about getting back into photography. I've been told by nearly everyone who has seen my pictures that I have amazing talent, and if I were to put my work into a gallery, people would buy it.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    play in a cover band.. I make about $100 - $150 a gig and drink for free. The band gigs on average 3-5 times a month, so it works out nicely. If you in a Wedding band or a higher paid tribute band, you can make some serious $$$. I had an aquaintance in a Sublime Tribute band that cleared over $100k a year in the band.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    *bump* I'm curious.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    It's a little late for the holidays but my dad makes cedar and pine wreathes and gets about $20 a pop during the Christmas season.

All his basic cost is the wire from Walmart and his time. All the materials, wild grapevines and greenery comes from the woods since we're fortunate to live in the country.

Also I've found changing habits, like just buying used books instead of new and then trading them back with the store has put money back in my pocket so maybe look at your buying habits and see if there's a new way to do things without missing out.

Good luck to you. :happy:
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    I sell over priced and over hyped protein shakes...Need a hook up?

Can I ask which one?
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    I teach Zumba, and I also wrap presents for friends/loved ones/anyone else that asks me to do it. I've actually made 95 dollars this month off of that alone!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    It's more for insanity prevention than for any kind of steady income, but I draw, paint, photograph ... stuff.

I also buy, fix and sell motorcycles on occasion.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I used to work for an event service company - you could pick what days/events you wanted to work, and you'd usher or act as security for concerts, sports games, parties, etc. If you did one event per week you'd probably make an extra $1500/yr.

If you can commit a lot more time, theaters, opera houses, sports venues, etc. are often looking for people to do the grunt work before/during productions or games.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    I was a preschool teacher who is now a nanny. I have one full time 8-6 job, and then a second job 5:30-7:30am for a family who work in healthcare and daycares don't open when they have shifts so I cover if they need it (typically 2 times a week).

I also do product testing randomly, todays was $50 for about 30 minutes to smell and rate deoderent scents. lol
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    *bump*
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    I used to run an Etsy shop. I made really good money doing it, but found it was taking too much time away from my real job, which is being a Mom. I wasn't spending my days keeping house and raising my daughter. I was spending all my time working on my shop and orders. If I ever did it again it would have to be my full time job and I would have to put my kiddo in daycare. It was too much trying to be a SAHM and work. I don't know how work from home parents do it. I commend them, that's for sure!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Bump for later
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    I buy and sell used drum sets and I play drums in an 80s cover band. I do it for fun but there is a good monetary benefit.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Part time seasonal job Decorate Cruise Ships for the Holidays it's fun and money is pretty good

Also someone told me that cruise ships hire greeters to go to the port and greet and smile and I think you only have to committ to 2 weekends a month
  • I teach ZUMBA!!!!! :) LA Fitness in Washington and I love it!!
  • Secret Shoppers get PAID extra money from companies wanting to see how their employees are doing...you can go online and sign up for your specific area and they will let you know when they need someone, it usually pays like $20-75 each one.
  • I sell things on eBay and am a Justice of the Peace!
  • I am a dancer.....