morning weight vs afternoon weight

Options
I've weighed myself every morning and have seen a decrease. Because I had such a great workout today I decided to jump back on the scale. Really just to see that great number again. But... I ask surprised by seeing a good five pound weight increase. It looks like the start of my journey almost 2 Weeks ago!
Why is there such a difference at different times? It just makes me want to give up and eat!

Replies

• lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You gain weight from food and water throughout the day. Most people are 2-5 pounds heavier at the end of the day. That's why everyone recommends weighing yourself first thing in the morning.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Wake up in the morning, go to the bathroom and weigh yourself, presumably naked or close to it. Hours later, after you've eaten, drank, put clothes on, worked out (and may be retaining water to repair muscles) you WILL weigh more. It's natural. Stop weighing so much if it will make you crazy.

I weigh multiple times a day. At night, right before bed is always 1.5 to 2 lbs. more than first thing in the am. After dinner? Could be several pounds higher.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Weigh yourself once a week.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've actually stopped weighing myself because my clothes actually tell me how much progress I am making. You will get there when you are ready.
  • JennyLam23
    JennyLam23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Most likely it is just water weight and of course you gain weight during the day because you're eating etc. When you first wake up in the morning and weigh yourself you havent consumed anything yet so that's why your weight is lower. Also if your working out and such, you could be gaining muscle weight too, and muscle weighs more than fat by a lot! Don't weigh yourself everyday but limit it to 1-2 times a week and you'll start seeing the weight drop and that will give you more motivation!
  • matthewlamere
    matthewlamere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I Personally go by what i weigh at night because it's my body weight on a full stomach and well hydrated. The weight in the morning is your "i just slept for 8 hours so i've digested all the food in my stomach and absorbed all the water" weight. Both are accurate and the morning weight is the best to go by how much you've lost because your afternoon weight will fluctuate day to day depending on how much you've eaten each day. Best way to do it is only weigh in once a week. Dont even touch a scale at all. that way you're always wondering how much you weigh and your diet is always on your mind.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You will drive yourself crazy weighing yourself multiple times a day. As pointed out above, food, water, etc., will increase your weight throughout the day. If you want to weigh daily (and I'm not judging, I do it myself), weigh in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom, wearing the same amount of clothing each time.

Just know that fluctuations day to day are normal, too (due to salt intake, hormonal fluctuations, etc.) and don't put too much emphasis on it. Take your measurements - those will be a better indicator of your progress, along with how your clothes are fitting.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've weighed myself every morning and have seen a decrease. Because I had such a great workout today I decided to jump back on the scale. Really just to see that great number again. But... I ask surprised by seeing a good five pound weight increase. It looks like the start of my journey almost 2 Weeks ago!
    Why is there such a difference at different times? It just makes me want to give up and eat!

When I began I weighed three times a day because people kept telling me our bodies shift up to five pounds in a day because of water weight. Well, it was true for me - 4 pounds a day on average. Don't continue to weigh more than once in a day unless you fully understand that it is just water weight that will go away by morning - otherwise it is torture!

After I saw my natural curve, I began to weigh only once a day until I lost about 30 pounds. Then I moved to once a week until 65 pounds and now I weigh only once a month. As you get close to your goal the weight comes off slower so it is better for your sanity (well, mine at least) to remember that and weigh accordingly.

Also, something I didn't do, but now regret, is take my measurements at the beginning. I did take them at 50 pounds lost and now I can see changes that are not reflected on the scale as well. Great motivator, especially when the scale is pissing you off. :wink:

You can do this! Don't get discouraged!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    one time i weight, drank a glass of water, then weighed again. i was up a whole pound. i was like WTF!
  • mbruntz
    Options
    one time i weight, drank a glass of water, then weighed again. i was up a whole pound. i was like WTF!

Yes, just one glass of water can definitely add a pound!! Crazy!!

I always weigh in the morning. If I do weigh myself randomly at night, the next morning I am always down 1-2 pounds.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Don't Stop Believin'
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time everyday.
    I personally weigh in the mornings. After I wake up, after I relieve myself and before I eat anything.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah... your weight can fluctuate +-5(ish) pounds a day. You eat, you sweat, you drink water, you go to the bathroom... pretty much everything will have an impact.

Also, most people weigh more later in the day than earlier in the day.

Just pick one time of day (and preferably a day of the week or month) to weigh in and stick with that. Wear the same thing (or nothing at all) every time. Only pay attention to those.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Yes, just one glass of water can definitely add a pound!! Crazy!!

I always weigh in the morning. If I do weigh myself randomly at night, the next morning I am always down 1-2 pounds.

it's no fair. i don't even get it. water is colorless and tasteless and odorless, they say it supposedly has no calories, but it can make us gain wait. what gives!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! Same thing happened to me last weekend. I had lost 4 lbs in the morning, and was in such disbelief (and really excited) that I jumped on again in the afternoon, and only saw a 2.2 lb. loss. I thought my scale was unreliable and I got really discouraged. Now that I know it's normal, I feel 100% better!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day. EVERYONE'S weight fluctuates through out the day. PIck a day and time and weigh in once a week.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If it really makes you want to give up and eat, stay off the scale. Why would you not just wait until the morning to see if there was a difference?
  • puritanln
    puritanln Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it's no fair. i don't even get it. water is colorless and tasteless and odorless, they say it supposedly has no calories, but it can make us gain wait. what gives!

It doesn't have calories, but of course it has weight. 8.34 lbs per gallon actually. That isn't a bad thing.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why would that make you want to give up and eat? Everyones weight fluctuates from morning to evening, it's not as though this is abnormal. Stop weighing yourself so often if it's that much of a problem.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are absolutely natural. I sometimes weigh myself in the morning, and after my night time workout, but it's for informational purposes only, and to find patterns.

I don't get all torched out of shape if I'm up a pound from that morning.