how to count cals in fried foods?

Options
So my husband started making these "chicken bites" which are basically boneless skinless chicken breast lightly rolled in flour and deep fried. how do you account for the fact that they are fried and not baked?

I also have jalapeno poppers that have the option to bake or fry. let's face it those suckers taste better fried.

How do I account for the oil? or how much (oil) do you think I actually eat if I dab off excess? a tablespoon? or what?

Assuming you eat something fried do you even account for the oil? and how so?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you really truly wanted to account for it, weigh oil pre frying, fry, and weigh oil after. That is how much got absorbed assuming no splatter
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You could measure the oil before and after cooked to find out how much was used for the food.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just put it in the recipe as the oil I put in before cooking. Use as little as possible. Too messy to weigh after...
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just put it in the recipe as the oil I put in before cooking. Use as little as possible. Too messy to weigh after...

I just assumed put in like 1/8c for the whole recipe. At least I'm accounting for something vs nothing.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I "fry" things in a pan instead. It makes it a lot easier to account for the oil used in cooking. Measure first and add ... anything left you can measure out and just deduct.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have you discovered coconut oil? It gives me a good excuse to fry my fish. I use it about everyday and I think it tastes a ton better. Otherwise I use olive oil. You can even use coconut oil in place of butter. :)

E for spelling
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You would be shocked how much is absorbed when deep frying....maybe try to lightly fry in a pan?

Next time you deep fry one, take it out and squish it to nothing....check out the oil that escapes....I bet you'll stop eating them lol.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them, therefore you don't have to log it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

That was my thought. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to find healthier ways if eating. Experiment with this recipe but don't ever deep fry.
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    actually just read an article saying that if the oil is at the right temperature when you fry it the food does not absorb that much oil. The example in the article said "A chicken leg contains only 16 more calories when fried then it does roasted"
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I pan fry and calculate with half the oil I used in the pan.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to comment, please don't fry food in olive oil. Olive oil heats up and smokes if you get it hot enough to "fry" food. Fire danger :)
  • lizsmith1976
    Options
    And don't listen to people who say don't eat them.

I live in TX, and we are the world champions of deep-fat frying. If it fits in your macros and you are counting calories and exercising, why would anyone say that there is anything you "can't" have :)
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options

^^ NOT this.

Lightly fry in a pan instead of deep frying. Than way you can see exactly how much oil you are putting in and using. And it'll take just as good.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to comment, please don't fry food in olive oil. Olive oil heats up and smokes if you get it hot enough to "fry" food. Fire danger :)

There is a much worse point to frying with Olive Oil.....it has a very low burning temperture and it will taste bitter when cooked at high temps. I'd much rather catch on fire then have bad tasting Olive Oil....priorities!
  • lizsmith1976
    Options

There is a much worse point to frying with Olive Oil.....it has a very low burning temperture and it will taste bitter when cooked at high temps. I'd much rather catch on fire then have bad tasting Olive Oil....priorities!

LOL!! Point taken :)
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We exclusively use coconut oil and clarified butter when we fry or sauté for exactly this reason.

Eta: This was supposed to be quoting lizsmith's post about olive oil's smoke point.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of entries in the data base for fried foods The oil is already accounted for.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    yeah, you could never eat them if you REALLY want to lose weight (says no one ever).

you can also never be on an airplane or go on a roller coaster or drink alcohol if you REALLY want to beat death and live forever.

seriously though, if you're THAT intent on knowing, weight before and after. there's not really any other way to know how much will be absorbed. :( personally, I'm a fan of pan frying stuff (my kitchen is way too small to have a real deep fryer and I don't have enough counter space). give it a shot :)

moderation never killed anyone. enjoy your life. :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Very good question; never thought about it... I guess I would weigh the food before breading & frying & then after.

Also be aware of just how calorie loaded breaded & deep fried food can be. I croaked when I discovered a Popeyes Chicken breast was 440 cals! (+ biscuit 260 cals) Wow that is a 700 cal kick to the butt.