Being Told What To Do and Eat

Options
My family members, especially my grandmother, butt into my eating habits way too often. They either tell me I eat way too little("starving myself") or way too much or I should drink more water or stay away from certain foods.
Just stop giving me tips and stop commenting on what I eat. I did just fine losing 40lbs on my own, without their comments.
I know they are probably trying to help but each time they tell me something they speak like they know exactly what they are talking about and I'm the clueless one.

Anyways, just getting some frustration out. Hope everyone is having an awesome day! :P

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Oh believe me, you just can't win.

My family was full of comments when I started working out regularly. Comments about how I should do X or Y or Z instead, some other program, some other diet.

Then I finished the program I was on and started doing something different and all of a sudden it was, "Why aren't you doing that thing you were doing before? That was working really well."

Just be happy those comments don't have as far to travel as they used to when you let them roll of your back.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Dang, that's got to be super annoying to have lost 41 lbs and still have people thinking they know weight loss better than you. Hope they wise up soon. (Congrats on the weight loss, BTW!)
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel you, sweetie. Just keep doing what you're doing...it's obviously working. Also, they need to keep in mind that everyone is different...their advice may help or harm you.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Tell them to SFTU if they bother you; or politely tell them you have it under control.

Either way, it's better to confront the people causing you to rant.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel better to see others understand what I'm going through :)
    Thank you everyone <3
  • firefoxxie
    Options
    Tell them to SFTU if they bother you; or politely tell them you have it under control.

Either way, it's better to confront the people causing you to rant.
    lol I honestly have tried telling them as politely as I could but it's not so easy when you grow up in a household following old fashion beliefs such as "the older the wiser" or "respect your elders, don't talk back"
  • wharmychippy
    Options
    Not all advice is good advice. They are probably just trying to be helpful. Just keep doing your thing it sounds like it is working!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    its because they care.... they think that they are older and wiser... i wish i had people who care i just have my sister mainly... if i had more motavation i would do better i think.... its annoying at times but they just want to make sure u succeed and reach ur goal.. and dont binge or starve urself... lol..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just be all, "you ain't even mah real dad"
  • firefoxxie
    Options
    Just be all, "you ain't even mah real dad"
    lol I'm sure that works every time! :P