How are you surviving holiday treats and goodies?

2»

Replies

• I'm taking some survival classes and self defense classes. That way I can live off grubs and bark and I can also fight off anyone who wants to give me cake or turkey or pie or anything festive or yummy. I've also retained a grief councilor just incase I give in and eat some food and I can't deal with the guilt.

OR...

I'm going to realize that one or two or even three days of food and fun with my family isn't going to sabotage or ruin anything and that a couple of days of not logging food or watching my "diet" isn't going to ruin all the hard work I put in for the last 5-6 months. Nor is it going to derail any of the work I plan on continuing to do. Also, I can realize that there are going to be a lot of outings with family and friends where my "diet" just isn't going to fit into the festivities and being sociable and enjoying myself is part of being a person with friends and family.

LOL on the former!! Aww the grief counselor.... The latter is most realistic!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I calculated my true TDEE from several months of logging. So long as I don't go over that, then I'm good. Where's the dessert table?
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    I bake them and then I put them in my tummy
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    I am doing terribly as it relates to eating Christmas goodies.
    On the other hand, I have remained diligent in my exercise, and I think that has played a role in keeping my weight maintained.

It's all about balance, and I have had to bust my rump to keep those scales even.
  • One of the best tips I can give that's worked wonders for me is to freeze any freezable treats you can! My biggest problem with holiday social events was the treats were only available that one time so I though "I MUST eat this now... all of it!!" Well, I've found that allowing myself 1 treat and bringing home a to-go container of a sampler of all the things I want and then placing them in the freezer helped so much! I have a stash of cookies and brownies in my freezer now and whenever I need a sweet treat I pull one out and let it thaw - It's just as delicious as the day it was prepared! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I'm surviving by keeping my normal workout routine and eating habits and if I eat a little more at a party or on Christmas day, I'm just not worried about it. Why would I be. It's not what you do in the next few days that will matter. It's what you do the other 51 weeks of the year. Don't fear food!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I am doing terribly as it relates to eating Christmas goodies.
    On the other hand, I have remained diligent in my exercise, and I think that has played a role in keeping my weight maintained.

It's all about balance, and I have had to bust my rump to keep those scales even.

This I can relate to.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Somedays, I'm a saint. Other days, I'm horrible and go way way way way way over. It's just depends.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Sadly - I'm. Not. But I am at least trying to make conscious decisions that when I indulge, it's something truly spectacular and worth it. Last Christmas I was more than 50 lbs heavier than this one, even if I backslide a little, I'm still significantly ahead of then and living my life in a manner I can sustain for the rest of it.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    I wouldn't steer clear of it, but eat it in moderation. I allow myself a treat here and there, log it and make sure I stay within my limits. If I feel the need to over indulge then I make it up in exercise. That way you don't feel cheated and you know what it will take to burn it off. Sometimes just knowing how long on the elliptical, will make me think twice about that cookie!

^This. I've been doing pretty terrible on this as well. I'll get this binge thing going on because I'm bored, and then I end up making myself exercise it off. It turns out well in the end, but it's not a great idea. I swear after January 1st when all the holiday mayhem is over, I'm upping my exercise and sticking to a healthy diet. But with everything going on, I just try and make sure I'm exercising everything off.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    I basically do the same thing as you -- I indulge, but in moderation. I try to track everything, and burn some of the excess off with exercise. So far it's working out pretty well! I'd love to lose weight by Christmas, but i can live with just maintaining.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Honestly, I'm not doing well at all. I have been baking cookies for the last week (to give out to neighbors) and I've been eating way too much of it. But, it's something (baking cookies) that my boys and I like to do together and I figure that these 2 (or even 3) weeks of eating it isn't going to totally derail all of my efforts. Last Christmas I had way better restraint, but it's all about living my life and I have to realize that this is part of my life and I need to learn to deal with it. That being said, I still feel like crap when I eat a bunch of it, but I need to learn to get rid of my sweet tooth!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    I'm cured of almost all such temptations since finding out that exposure to even small amounts of dairy or gluten can trigger my migraines and the miserable digestive system problems that had plagued me for years. I'm not a fan of migraines. I'll pass on the goodies, thanks.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    i've been bad.. not by eating the treats given to me but by *gasp* regifting food items to others. lol
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    I have a bite of my daughters, and that one bite is just enough. I call it the cookie tax!
  • One of the best tips I can give that's worked wonders for me is to freeze any freezable treats you can! My biggest problem with holiday social events was the treats were only available that one time so I though "I MUST eat this now... all of it!!" Well, I've found that allowing myself 1 treat and bringing home a to-go container of a sampler of all the things I want and then placing them in the freezer helped so much! I have a stash of cookies and brownies in my freezer now and whenever I need a sweet treat I pull one out and let it thaw - It's just as delicious as the day it was prepared! :)

That is a really good idea! I might try that!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I log a little of the food in advance each day that I plan to eat at holiday festivities. That way, I have built up a weekly deficit so I don't ruin my week. For example, right now it looks like I have had pretty significant snacks each night this week, but actually that is food I plan on eating Sun & Mon. Also, I try to be really active to earn a few more calories. In the days after Tuesday, I will cut back my calories to make up for what I eat Christmas Day.