Bad Eating Habits

Options
So I have some really horrible eating habits and I was wondering if anyone had some advice to help me break them? I was on very strict meal times ( 3 meals a day, no snacks) growing up. Since I got out of the house, I just eat even when I am not hungry. I try not to, but I always end up caving in. I think it is because I know I can eat whenever I want to, so I do, even hough it isn't good for me.

Also, I never get enough water. I never feel thisty. If I'm luck I'll get in maybe a glass or two. Any tips to help this improve? I know you sometimes feel hungry when your body really wants water.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• jaldrick
    jaldrick Posts: 4
    Options
    What is it you eat when you snack? I have always found it's essential to keep a good stock pile of cut up cucumber and baby carrots around. Vary low cal, super healthy and chewing on a carrot uses much more effort than chomping on a chocolate bar!! I also keep homemade hummus around to dip into. If you want my recipe, give me a shout, I will post.

As for the water thing you are absolutely right. I regularly have a mug of warm water with a quarter fresh lemon squeezed into it to start my day. It is supposed to help detox you ready for the day and I have to say it does help my energy levels and I'm not good with mornings!! You should aim to drink a glass of water when you feel hungry and wait 10 minutes. if the craving passes then your body is simply thirsty so drink another glass! 8 glasses a day or upwards of 1.5 litres is recommended. I also drink decaffienated green tea through the day which adds some variation. Green tea is also known to boost your metabolism which can only be a good thing for weightloss!

Good luck!!!!
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Usually it depends on what is around. I try to go for granola bars over things like jelly beans. I've also been trying to buy less junk, so hopefully that will help too. I've never had hummus, but I am willing to give it a try! I'd love to try your recipe to start with. And thanks for the tips about the water!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    for the water, you could try this.
    drink what you drink now. and try a glass more the next day. then try drinking again the same amount for another day then increase it the next day. so every other day increase it by one. :)
    hope that helps
    and as for eating even when not hungry. i say go work out. :) that usually ease the feeling of wanting to eat more.
    hope that helps
  • emay45
    Options
    I will give that a shot! Thank you!
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For upping your water intake: Pick a few things through out your day to be "water triggers"

When you get up, have a glass, have a glass before and during every meal, and when you go to bed have a glass. Tada! that's eight glasses!
  • jaldrick
    jaldrick Posts: 4
    Options
    Here's the recipe:

1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
    2 tbsp tahini
    half a cup of fat free plain yogurt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    half a freshly squeezed lemon (substitute for 1 tbsp concentrated lemon juice if you have to)
    1 large clove garlic
    half cup of cilantro

Just whizz it up in a blender and serve. It will keep in the fridge for about 3 days and a regular serving size is 2tbsp. It comes in at about 70 cals a serving which might sound a bit high but it's packed with protein and is low fat. if you spread it on low fat crisp bread it makes a great lunch.

You could also try a simple yogurt dip by mixing 2 cups fat free plain yogurt, half a diced cucumber, 1 clove garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice and a handful of some chopped fresh mint. no need to blend that one either :-)

Let us know how it goes!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Snacking is not a problem... but making sure that you PLAN your snacks is really important. I eat every 2 hours... so I'm pretty much snacking all day. Granola Bars can be high in calories, sodium and sugar... so be careful... the sugar alone will set you up for cravings. Here are snacks that I keep on hand:
    String Cheese
    Apples
    Bananas
    Cauliflower (break it up small - spray it with I can't believe it's not butter and sprinkle with a touch of salt substitute and you'll think you're eating crunchy popcorn)
    Flavored mini rice cakes
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    100 calorie Almond packs
    Yogurt
    Coleslaw - (I buy the bagged slaw mix then mix with balsamic vinegar and fat free plain yogurt)

If you're planning meals and snacks every 2 hours... you won't be hungry.

Water....
    A couple things... for some reason I find it much easier to drink water out of a bottle... so I buy bottled water and refill my bottles for about a week - then recycle them and get new ones.
    I sometimes like some flavor - lemons, cucumbers, mint, ginger... all help to add flavor. Occasionally I'll add part of a packet of crystal light if I'm really craving something sweet.
    I agree with finding drinking triggers throughout the day. I drink a full bottle of water before I drink my coffee. Everytime I take my dogs out I drink a bottle of water. When I'm watching tv - I drink for every commercial. We play "drinking games" when we watch tv... with water... everyone picks a character on the show and when that character speaks - you have to drink. Eventually you WILL feel thirsty and you'll be able to recognize that feeling for what it is.
  • emay45
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips so far everyone! They sound awesome!!!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Buy a really big bottle/jug/cup for water. A liter size bottle holds just over 3 cups of water. I can go through 3 of those a day, easy. The bigger container I drink out of the more I feel the need to drink. Weird I know, but it works for me.

I've actually noticed over the last few weeks that if I don't have access to water for 30-45 minutes I feel partched and my throat starts hurting. I think I'm addicted!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    water was a big issue for me when i started dieting. i just wasn't thirsty enough to drink that much water. a few sips and i was fine.
    Now, i know how many oz of water my kitchen glasses hold & my water bottle at the gym & bottle on my desk at work. one of the rules i made for myself was to fill my 16oz water bottle and empty it as part of my workout. i'm not done with my workout until i've emptied the bottle.

gradually i have improved. now when i take a drink it is a large swallow. And though for a while i really drank water almost exclusively to make sure i got enough daily, i now have nearly always gotten my minimum of 8 glasses by early afternoon. (so, now days i'm almost always at 10 cups or more) & i can enjoy some coffee or even a diet coke.

i like the suggestion that you set a plan to increase daily amounts & tie it to activities to help. good luck- katie
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    The trick I used for getting more water was to make sure that every other beverage I drank was a glass of water. And that glass had to be as big as whatever I drank previously. So if I drank a bottle of soda, I had to drink a bottle's worth of water before I could move on to another soda or other beverage. If it wasn't plain water, it was considered "other". Eventually I worked my way up to two glasses of water between other beverages. It wasn't long before my body craved just water. I would see the sodas in the fridge, but didn't want them anymore. I do have one on occasion (maybe once a week), but otherwise it's just water because that's all I want anymore.

The snacking isn't a big deal as long as it's healthy. You already mentioned not buying so much junk, so that's a good start. Make sure you read the labels and ingredients lists of everything you buy. I was shocked at how junk-filled many of these "healthy" foods actually are. Also be careful with low fat, low sugar, low calorie, whatever foods. I've found they're often worse than eating the original version because of all the additives they need to keep the flavor while providing less fat/sugar/calories/etc. Not everything, of course, just read the labels carefully, do some comparisons, etc so that you can make the best choices possible before the food even gets to your pantry. We all know once it's there, we're going to eat it no matter what because we spend our hard-earned money on it. Make sure it's worth your money, worth the calorie count, and worth the nutritional value.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I struggled with getting enough water in because like you, I waited to be thirsty. It may not be true but I was told that if you are thirsty then you have probably gone too long without drinking water and are dehydrated. I just make it a habit to drink no less than 8 glasses a day but I aim for more. I have a water bottle that holds 4 cups of water and I know I need to drink two of the bottles a day ( I try and get one in before lunch and then another before dinner) I drink a cup or two of herb tea and I add sliced lemon to my water bottle. For snacks I keep dried apricots, cashews, almonds measured and in small snack bags. I always have raw veggies and fruit on hand of course. I find if I am hungry between meals it helps to have something already planned so I don't grab the first thing I find.
  • emay45
    Options
    I always drain at least one 16 oz water bottle during my work outs, so that is good. And I don't drink soda or coffee, so the water I do drink is what makes up most of my liquids. I've started carrying a water bottle with me every day, so eventually I should be able to get up the full amount! =)