Nearly 60 lbs gone since February 2012

Options
I have always been overweight. When I was in 6th grade I weighed 180 pounds. When I was 13 years old I developed Graves disease and had to have my thyroid removed. If my unhealthy lifestyle as a child contributed to the onset of this illness or not, I still do not know. What I do know is that I continued to be overweight after my operation and thyroid replacement hormone treatment.

I was convinced that I was simply destined to be an overweight individual. I've lost weight once before. When I was 14 I got up to 217 lbs, and my doctor feared that I had developed diabetes. I was so scared that I got myself into shape and got down to 156 lbs in about a year. However, When I was 16 I found my life becoming increasingly busy. I got a job, starting having more of a social life, and simply lost focus on my health. Over the next few years, my weight would creep back up to 215.

So here I was in early 2012, 5'6 215 lbs pants size 14-16 at 21 years old. Unfortunately, I have a very apple shaped body and much of my excess weight went straight to my midsection. As you may know, this is the most dangerous place on the body to carry one's weight. I already had high cholesterol, had a couple of glucose scares, and was generally just very sluggish and depressed with my weight. Of course there were the aesthetic reasons. I wanted to be an attractive young woman. However, the health reasons were very real to me as well.

So over the last 10 months I got serious about my health and lost nearly 60 lbs. The difference between this time and last time? I did my research. I read up on how nutrition and fitness really worked. The other difference has been that I have been able to find some balance. I am a full-time student in my senior year of college, I work about 20 hours a week at a part time retail job, and I carry on a pretty active social life. I am still able to work out usually 5-6 times a week and focus on my nutrition. The key has been keeping myself accountable through calorie counting apps such as this one and a contract I established with myself that stated that I was to work out AT LEAST 4 days a week unless there was some injury or other emergency. This contract, silly as it might sound, made me get my butt to the gym on days that I would have otherwise missed.

I hover around 150 lbs now with a pants size of 7-9, and would like to get to around a lean 135 lbs. I have developed a love for fitness that I never knew I could. I love running and weight lifting, and you can actually see the muscles in my arms and legs now. I also love healthy food, even more surprisingly! I mean, I still love pizza, but I also love green beans, tofu, broccoli, brown rice, almonds, peas, green peppers, cucumbers, and lots of other healthy foods that I would not have dreamed I ever would.

My goal is to keep getting better. Keep setting goals. I know that if I don't I could easily revert back to what I was in a couple of years or less. I'm not exactly sure what my "uh huh" moment was this time around, but I really want to keep this weight off permanently. This is my new life.

Here are some before pics:

Before_zpsb3f2951e.jpg

Beforepic_zps499d157f.jpg

I don't have too many after pics, but here are a couple!

20121211_1642042_zps2c6bfa64.jpg

2012-11-04222627_zps8584e488.jpg

Replies

• Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    WE cannot see your photois. But I am proud of you. I too have Graves and hyperthyroidism not to mention I had to have radiation treatments for calciated tumors on my throat. All of the meds I take and being 53, has made it difficult to control the weight. But like you I have found that I need to be healthy. For me and my family. I love to work out and love to get on here and track my food and follow everyone on our common journeys.

I too hope to achieve my goal. Who knows maybe I too will get to the 150's one day. Baby steps.
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    now I can see the photos! You look fantastic! congrats!
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    ...cant see the pictures either... but that is amazing way to go!!!
  • JimmyJazzMX
    JimmyJazzMX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Nice job, keep it up!
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    amazing transformatiion! great job! :-)
  • Sugarhiccup03
    Sugarhiccup03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • Kurls4Daze
    Kurls4Daze Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    WAY TO DECIDE. COMMIT. AND SUCCEED!!!! YOU LOOK GREAT!!
    I have always been overweight. When I was in 6th grade I weighed 180 pounds. When I was 13 years old I developed Graves disease and had to have my thyroid removed. If my unhealthy lifestyle as a child contributed to the onset of this illness or not, I still do not know. What I do know is that I continued to be overweight after my operation and thyroid replacement hormone treatment.

I was convinced that I was simply destined to be an overweight individual. I've lost weight once before. When I was 14 I got up to 217 lbs, and my doctor feared that I had developed diabetes. I was so scared that I got myself into shape and got down to 156 lbs in about a year. However, When I was 16 I found my life becoming increasingly busy. I got a job, starting having more of a social life, and simply lost focus on my health. Over the next few years, my weight would creep back up to 215.

So here I was in early 2012, 5'6 215 lbs pants size 14-16 at 21 years old. Unfortunately, I have a very apple shaped body and much of my excess weight went straight to my midsection. As you may know, this is the most dangerous place on the body to carry one's weight. I already had high cholesterol, had a couple of glucose scares, and was generally just very sluggish and depressed with my weight. Of course there were the aesthetic reasons. I wanted to be an attractive young woman. However, the health reasons were very real to me as well.

So over the last 10 months I got serious about my health and lost nearly 60 lbs. The difference between this time and last time? I did my research. I read up on how nutrition and fitness really worked. The other difference has been that I have been able to find some balance. I am a full-time student in my senior year of college, I work about 20 hours a week at a part time retail job, and I carry on a pretty active social life. I am still able to work out usually 5-6 times a week and focus on my nutrition. The key has been keeping myself accountable through calorie counting apps such as this one and a contract I established with myself that stated that I was to work out AT LEAST 4 days a week unless there was some injury or other emergency. This contract, silly as it might sound, made me get my butt to the gym on days that I would have otherwise missed.

I hover around 150 lbs now with a pants size of 7-9, and would like to get to around a lean 135 lbs. I have developed a love for fitness that I never knew I could. I love running and weight lifting, and you can actually see the muscles in my arms and legs now. I also love healthy food, even more surprisingly! I mean, I still love pizza, but I also love green beans, tofu, broccoli, brown rice, almonds, peas, green peppers, cucumbers, and lots of other healthy foods that I would not have dreamed I ever would.

My goal is to keep getting better. Keep setting goals. I know that if I don't I could easily revert back to what I was in a couple of years or less. I'm not exactly sure what my "uh huh" moment was this time around, but I really want to keep this weight off permanently. This is my new life.

Here are some before pics:

Before_zpsb3f2951e.jpg

Beforepic_zps499d157f.jpg

I don't have too many after pics, but here are a couple!

20121211_1642042_zps2c6bfa64.jpg

2012-11-04222627_zps8584e488.jpg
  • ShannieRay
    ShannieRay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFULLL!!!!!
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful girl! You were beautiful then, and your even more beautiful now! Congrats on your new you!:bigsmile:
  • Evoken
    Evoken Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Awesome work girl!!!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Look at you and your cute little figure, awesome job!
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sorry that the pictures are so huge.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!