Not eating after a certain time?

Options
I read that you should go to bed hungry so you wake up hungry for breakfast. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Cause for example, I'm hungry right now but it's after 9 o'clock. Should I eat or wait until morning? What's your take on eating at night?

Replies

• rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I say eat something if you're hungry. If you're concerned about calories, make it healthy / nutritious -- banana, apple, orange,
  • Redirishmike
    Options
    I try hard not to eat late at night. If I do, I choose something that is high in protein and low in carbs/fat. Fat free cottage cheese or a scoop of protein powder and skim milk (made into lame pudding) works well for me. It sits in my gut and keeps me from hunger. In reality, its very few calores. On another note, there are threads here in the forum that cover intermittent fasting, you should read up on that as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry or just bored or want to eat out of habit? If you are truly hungry so that a piece of fruit, some veggies or a small yogurt sounds good then I'd eat it and log it. You may need to start leaving a few calories for a late night snack if you find that helps. Your body has no idea what time it is so eat when you need to eat.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    get grapefruit.....
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Do you like going to bed hungry (I don't, but some people here seem to like it)? Or do you have heartburn or digestive issues if you go to bed with a full belly? If no, then eat something. As long as you're within your calorie goals, it doesn't matter when you eat. I consume the VAST majority of my calories after 8pm and often eat in bed just before I go to bed. It works for me.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay in your calorie macros, you can eat. I save some calories for a healthy snack before bed time. I also do intermittent fasting. I don't eat till about noon and quit about 8.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    nope!
    eat whenever you want.

i have coffee in the morning and like to save my calories for when i enjoy eating.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every night right before bed
  • Iron_warrior33
    Options
    Do you like going to bed hungry (I don't, but some people here seem to like it)? Or do you have heartburn or digestive issues if you go to bed with a full belly? If no, then eat something. As long as you're within your calorie goals, it doesn't matter when you eat. I consume the VAST majority of my calories after 8pm and often eat in bed just before I go to bed. It works for me.
    ^^ deffinately this. It takes 24 hours for your food to digest, therefore you have 24 hours to burn the calories, so it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • lovelight30
    Options
    I like your inputs. Thanks!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas in this thread! Be careful of grapefruit if your on certain medications though. Cheers! :D
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Me too!! Thanks to her^^^ ;)
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Me too!! Thanks to her^^^ ;)

I'm such a good influence :) Ice cream for everyone!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Assuming your calorie targets are hit, nutrient timing is absolutely irrelevant.
  • healthylife56
    Options
    If you really are hungry, then yes eat something. Sometimes people eat when they are bored, stressed, or doing other things and not necessarily because they are hungry. Listen to your body. I usually eat greek yogurt before bed.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I read that you should go to bed hungry so you wake up hungry for breakfast. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Cause for example, I'm hungry right now but it's after 9 o'clock. Should I eat or wait until morning? What's your take on eating at night?

when you read articles like that always look for the source of the information...in the popular magazines it's often just fluff with no real backing

most fitness magazines are basically pages of ads trying to sell us junk

the idea of meal timing and being hungry at certain times is meaningless. there is no metabolic advantage
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your caloric intake for the day there is no meal frequency just get those calories in regardless of time.. I never go to bed without a 400-500 calorie snack and it hasn't effected my weight loss in the least bit... Best of Luck..... :drinker:
  • fearless_
    Options
    depends
    for some reason
    if I eat after 9 I just eat complete crap
    and lots of it, so i try not to
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    depends
    for some reason
    if I eat after 9 I just eat complete crap
    and lots of it, so i try not to

good reason to keep crap out of the house
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Your body is a biological machine, burning calories 24/7. It just burns them a bit slower while sleeping. If you're hungry, eat something. If you ran out of calories in your daily allotment, go for a short run, or do some other exercise. Happy, healthy living to you.