Slipped on ice, need treadmill but low on $$ & obese ADVICE?

Options

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    In the small town I spend a lot of time in during the summer, it gets very snowy in the winter. The local elementary school lets townspeople use their gym equipment during the winter. And the local hospital has a gym with very cheap fees. So maybe look for non-traditional gym-like avenues?
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get the cleated shoe grips for icy/snowy weather. They work awesome, slip onto most any boot or shoe. I use them all winter and still take my walks. They're under $20.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Get a membership to Planet Fitness or similar $10/month gym. They have tons of options for cardio equipment and commercial treadmills are going to be much more likely to be suitable than any inexpensive home one.

This. Then you don't have to keep going when it gets nicer outside. Or, you can keep the membership and only go when it's too hot or too cold, since it's super cheap.

I also like the mall option. I actually forgot people do that, went to the mall early the other day, and nearly got flattened.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    check out Yak trax they go on over your shoes and help you not slip in the winter. google or amazon should help you be able to find them. saftey first and always wear reflective
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Is there a park or someplace close that has walking paths? I know around here, you can use the local high school track for walking if need be. There are also a couple of community centers with indoor tracks that are not too terribly far from where I live, you could look into something like that.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you like walking outside you can get cleated grippers you put on over your shoes/boots to give you traction. Walking on a treadmill is terminally boring. Get a reflective vest and a pair of ice grippers and keep on walking outside.

This is surely to be less expensive than a treadmill too. :drinker:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Get a membership to Planet Fitness or similar $10/month gym. They have tons of options for cardio equipment and commercial treadmills are going to be much more likely to be suitable than any inexpensive home one.

This. Then you don't have to keep going when it gets nicer outside. Or, you can keep the membership and only go when it's too hot or too cold, since it's super cheap.

I also like the mall option. I actually forgot people do that, went to the mall early the other day, and nearly got flattened.

^^^ this

When I first started out (over 250lbs) I found that I was higher the weight limit on most 'cheap' treadmills -- and it actually was cheaper to join a gym that purchase one myself.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Any shopping malls near where you live?

MallWalking.jpg
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY&list=FL2vtfU3r6zbQoQzKzeDa8uQ&index=1

That's a link to Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walk she has others, also. I didn't think doing that in the house would be much, I was pleasantly surprised! :flowerforyou:
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    Well you live in a small town, so I doubt there is much for gyms. If you are lucky enough to have a gym there, then that is definitely your best route. If not, then I'd recommend looking at the treadmills on Overstock.com and their other fitness machines. I've gotten a number of things off of there and been satisifed. I just did a quick look and I saw equipment that would take up to 400lbs, so it's definitely an option. Also, like others have said, malls are always great for winter walking.
  • one15ts
    Options
    A quick way to get in 30 mins of low impact exercise is to turn on your favorite TV show and just walk in place the entire time. Do that a couple of times a day and you've got a 60 min walk in. :)

agree. you can also get a stepper, and step up and down in place. :)
  • creativecarabao
    Options
    I walk in the mall during my lunch. I can get at least a mile in less than 20 minutes. It's better thannothing...just stay away from the food court.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    for now maybe walk in place indoors? there are several videos on youtube regarding walking indoors. It really does burn a lot more calories than it sounds. :)
  • Johnsprime
    Options
    Go old people style and walk around the mall

HA ha ha... I DID IT.

I live about 40 minutes from the nearest city with a mall, but I had a dentist appointment in town today and I went to the mall and I walked from one end to the other, up and down the isles in Sears and Macy's and even crossed the parking lot to a neighboring mall and was able to get in about an hour of solid walk time.
  • Johnsprime
    Options
    Well you live in a small town, so I doubt there is much for gyms. If you are lucky enough to have a gym there, then that is definitely your best route. If not, then I'd recommend looking at the treadmills on Overstock.com and their other fitness machines. I've gotten a number of things off of there and been satisifed. I just did a quick look and I saw equipment that would take up to 400lbs, so it's definitely an option. Also, like others have said, malls are always great for winter walking.

Yes, you are correct about there not being any gyms here.

Thanks for the tip on Overstock I will check that out.
  • Johnsprime
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY&list=FL2vtfU3r6zbQoQzKzeDa8uQ&index=1

That's a link to Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walk she has others, also. I didn't think doing that in the house would be much, I was pleasantly surprised! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the link. Just checked it out and think I may try this tomorrow.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Go old people style and walk around the mall

Ooooh thats a good idea too!

I agree about an outdoor track--many schools have one and don't mind you using it in the evenings after practice. Baseball and soccer fields can also work.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you like walking outside you can get cleated grippers you put on over your shoes/boots to give you traction. Walking on a treadmill is terminally boring. Get a reflective vest and a pair of ice grippers and keep on walking outside.

best advice
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In my town, some people walk around the mall in the mornings.
    Also, you could check the paper or craigslist for used treadmills?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've traded going to the doctor for weight related issues to going to the doctor for injuries sustained while exercising. Things like that are going to happen if you're active.

Two suggestions:

1. Screwing your shoes will be cheaper than a treadmill or Yaktrax: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

2. If your small town is like any small town I've lived in, the HS track is always open if classes aren't in session. Might want to ask around about using it.