what to eat when you have poisoning?

Options
Just came home from the hospital with poisoning.. not feeling too great.
Flat lemonade and bread seems the only things which I can keep down.

Suggestions?

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    In these circumstances I like flat lemonade and bread actually
    also jelly (not jam, jelly)
  • tishka11
    Options
    You need to be having gastrolyte or hydralyte or something similar that contains the electrolytes and energy that your body is losing through the poisoning

Drinking flat lemonade to make you feel better is a myth. It will only dehydrate your body causing you to feel more sick - trust me - it is something they highly emphasised throughout my medical university course!

Try eating and drinking simple, plain things that are not too salty or sweet, but perhaps aim for higher calorie things as you may not feel like eating huge amounts

Also stay away from acidic things, such as acidic fruits ie apples, lemons, oranges etc as these will cause further stomach upsets

Hope this helps!

If you are still unwell in a few days i would suggest returing to your doctor :)
  • sophasaurusxx
    Options
    I had food poisoning few months ago from Mcdonalds. I was in hospital for 2 days, i couldnt eat anything, i just had to drinks lots of water :(
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    plain rice.

look up congee recipes. Absolutely brilliant.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    You need to be having gastrolyte or hydralyte or something similar that contains the electrolytes and energy that your body is losing through the poisoning

Drinking flat lemonade to make you feel better is a myth. It will only dehydrate your body causing you to feel more sick - trust me - it is something they highly emphasised throughout my medical university course!

Try eating and drinking simple, plain things that are not too salty or sweet, but perhaps aim for higher calorie things as you may not feel like eating huge amounts

Also stay away from acidic things, such as acidic fruits ie apples, lemons, oranges etc as these will cause further stomach upsets

Hope this helps!

If you are still unwell in a few days i would suggest returing to your doctor :)

Thanks! It's all good, I know what it was from.. not food poisoning but poisoning all the same.
    When I was in hospital they gave us these popsicle things which help to hydrate you.. cos I couldn't have powerade or water without vomiting.. do you think they would sell these at chemists or anywhere?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ooh, and peppermint tea if you are feeling nauseous. great for settling the stomach.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    In these circumstances I like flat lemonade and bread actually
    also jelly (not jam, jelly)

ohokay? really?
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Slightly salted basmati rice with some peas and plain ham... it's been my go-to food when i'm sick since forever (sometimes I crave it when i'm simply under the weather)
    Edit- Oh and lemon and ginger tea. Ginger supresses nausea.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    I had food poisoning few months ago from Mcdonalds. I was in hospital for 2 days, i couldnt eat anything, i just had to drinks lots of water :(

:( even water makes me vomit
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    When I'm nauseous, I go for the old stand-bys of plain pasta and jell-o. If you are having trouble drinking, see if you can get your hands on some fresh ginger. A small piece, a tsp. of honey, and hot water are awesome and it will help settle your stomach.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink whatever you can keep down.

What kind of poisoning is it? You say it's not food, so I'm curious.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A nurse told me this when I got really sick from the flu one time, but it works for anytime you can't hold anything down: BRAT - Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast. Banana is the one I have the hardest time with, but if you can hold it down, it will help ALOT!!!
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    What kind of poisoning is it? You say it's not food, so I'm curious.

No offense but I don't really want to post it on an online forum.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can have someone go to the store for ginger candy? If you have a World Market nearby, you can get them there. If not, candied pieces of ginger in the spice aisle of your grocery store. Ginger has been used by pregnant ladies forever, and I don't know why, but it worked for me when I was really sick last year. It might stop the nausea long enough for you to get a little food in you.

Rice porridge is good. Just mix a 1/4 cup water with a cup of cooked rice, or if you can handle it weak chicken or veggie stock, into rice over low heat until it thickens a little.
  • nesshess04
    Options
    The BRAT(banana,rice, applesauce, and toast) diet and ginger ale for 2-3 days should help.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Have nothing until you feel better. It isn't essential to eat, just try to stay hydrated. If food won't stay down it's your body's way of telling you it doesn't want food!
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have some tomato or chicken soup! You still need some kind of nourishment. I totally agree with the ginger candy. You can also add some ginger, garlic and soy sauce to chicken stock or soup, or have lemon ginger tea.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Steamed/boiled rice....steamed plain vegetable, unbuttered or lightly buttered toast.

sorry for you x
  • armin_gt
    Options
    Activated charcoal( a bunch), l-glutathione, chlorella. All good for quick detox
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Ginger in any form - ginger tea, gingerale (if it's made from real ginger), ginger balls, pickled ginger...also peppermint and chammomile are good for nausea, so again any form tea, candy, extract, essential oils, whatever you have or can get...with food poisoning anti-histamines help, not sure if that is the case with other forms or poisoning, but it might be worth a try and you can usually get them in a liquid form (try the childrens formulas which are usually labeled for the adult dosage) to make it easier on your body to absorb...small sips every 15 min. or so...get better soon!!!