Am I going to die?

Options
Hi all
I am in need of some advice. I am 63 years old and very over weight. I was so unfit I got out of breath bending down to tie my shoelaces, I am now doing something about it.
Last September I started walking and moved on to what I call running. I built up a bit at a time till I could run up to 5 miles but at a speed of only 4.5 MPH.
I have entered my local 10km race on Jan 20th. With an estimated of 1hr 30 min finishing time the organisers are happy with this.
When I reached the 5 mile distance with out stopping, 1 hr 07 mins, I rewarded my self with a new toy, a Polar heart monitor, GPS watch.
This has scared the living day lights out of me. HR at rest 67 this is good. As soon as I start running it goes up to 150 - 160. It stays in this range for the whole run.
The Polar web site training program says I should be working for most of my training at lower heart rates. I can not run at this lower heart rate.
First question, if I keep running, at this high HR level, 2/3 times a week, am I going to drop dead????

Next puzzle MFP makes my runs about 1000 cals burnt. Polar watch makes same run 2000 cals burnt. Both can' be right, which one do I go by?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, someday...we all will. But specific to your question, probably not because of your runs. It is always good to clear with your doctor if you are concerned. That said, you are up to 5 miles non stop in a little over 13 min. miles without any problems...well done.

HR is a tricky thing, everyone is different and all the formulas are just estimates of where you should be, but may or may not be accurate for you as your Max HR may be higher than the formula assumes and the only real way to know is to measure it (I know mine max is at least 15 BPM more than the formulas assume.) If your runs are easy and you can carry on a conversation you are pretty much right where you should be. If you are stuggling on your runs, then slow down, your HR will decrease and you will find you can build your endurance more effectively. As you lose weight and continue to build endurance, you will find your HR will decrease for the same running speed/distance.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good idea to check with your doctor. That is a pretty high heart rate for your age.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Well, someday...we all will. But specific to your question, probably not because of your runs. It is always good to clear with your doctor if you are concerned. That said, you are up to 5 miles non stop in a little over 13 min. miles without any problems...well done.

HR is a tricky thing, everyone is different and all the formulas are just estimates of where you should be, but may or may not be accurate for you as your Max HR may be higher than the formula assumes and the only real way to know is to measure it (I know mine max is at least 15 BPM more than the formulas assume.) If your runs are easy and you can carry on a conversation you are pretty much right where you should be. If you are stuggling on your runs, then slow down, your HR will decrease and you will find you can build your endurance more effectively. As you lose weight and continue to build endurance, you will find your HR will decrease for the same running speed/distance.

THIS
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    HR is very individual so it's all what is your range. Like suggested, I would figure out what your range is based on your resting rate. For me, my resting (just woke up) range is in the low 60's and just from trial and error I know that when I'm exercising I can go anywhere from 155-165 and feel like I'm working at a decent pace. Higher than that and I can really tell the difference. If you feel like you're doing fine in the 150-160 range, I would think it would be OK. It doesn't sound that high to me but again, it's what's high for you. If you don't feel like your heart is going to be right out of your chest, I wouldn't think you are pushing too hard.
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good job on taking control of your health.

Ask the doctor.

When you do any cardio your heart rate does go up if I am not mistaken but consult your doctor.

No need to worry yourself unnecessarily.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest, only a Doc can give you the real answer, but I will share this with you.. I've been doing Insanity on and off since last July. (Off due to injury and not laziness :)) I'm also doing Les Mills Pump and Les Mills Combat.. So, I am constantly doing some type of cardio, 6 days a week minimum. Some days, twice a day. During my more intense workouts, like Insanity or long Combat routines, my heart rate will average in the mid 150's and will normally be right around 168-173 during peak times according to my HRM. I recover quickly, but my rate is pretty much up there when actually doing the routines and I have no fear of dropping dead anytime soon. :) Granted, the HRM tells me it's too high, but bodies are so different, it's just giving us a generic average of everyone. Check with your Doc and if they say your ok, then you should be good.

As for MFP readings, I got to where I don't use them. Let your HRM with your specific body info tell you the calories burned.

Hope this helps to alleviate the worries just a bit.. Oh, and congrats on trying to make a chnage for the better in yourself..
    **D**
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As above speak to your doctor if you have any concerns over cardiovascular health, noone on here can answer that for you. Perhaps in the meantime if your high heart rate is worrying you perhaps just take power walks and keep your heart rate within a comfortable range until you've spoken to a doc and hopefully she/he can put your mind at ease. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm 55, not overweight, run a lot and my HR while running any distance is never under 150. If I can hold it under 160 it's a good day, sometimes I'm in the 170's. I haven't died yet although I assume I will someday. I'm hoping it's while I'm running because it will look so much better to say I died while out on a run than sitting on the couch watching TV with a bag of Doritos.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you have the FT7 I believe that will measure your VO2Max pretty accurately (I have the FT4 and it does this). You may just have a high heart rate during cardiovascular activity (I do and I'm 29). Check out the VO2Max calculation function, if you're really concerned your GP can refer you to a clinic that can more accurately measure what your max HR should be

I should add: No you're not going to die from having a high heart rate. You have a resting heart rate of 57 and you can run ten kilometers. You're not going to have a heart attack during a run. Congratulations on your fantastic achievements!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, you are not going to die from a HR of 150-160. Do see a doctor to get an EKG because that will help determine if you have any abnormalities that might show up - this is a good idea for any sedentary person starting up a heavy physical activity like running, especially for anyone over 45-50.

A HR of 150-160 sustained over a log distance means that a) your max HR is higher than the 220 - age. b) you are out of shape. Once you get in shape your sustained HR will drop a little bit for equivalent effort.

If you are concerned, do slow down a little and use the upper alarm on your HRM to keep a HR a bit lower. Build up your running slowly.

And like I said - Do see a doctor to get a physical - HR & BP are factors in heart disease but so is your weight. A check-up with the change in activity is highly on the "best" things to do.

Just to give you an idea - my HR (at @46) is usually in the 145 to 165 but up to 175 max on runs depending on a bunch of factors (my HRmax is 189). High natural HRs are not that uncommon.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor
  • harthurt
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but you should probably be more concerned about blood pressure. Blood pressure is a big problem, if it is too high, it is dangerous.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    congrats on taking steps towards your health... pun intended.

talk to your doctor if you are concerned.

you are a big guy, and older. you've obviously been sedentary for a long time, so you are going to have a higher heart rate when working out, and you are going to burn a lot more calories.

but if you are concerned, try slowing yourself down a little bit. i know you're probably thinking you already go slow enough, but just try.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm 55, not overweight, run a lot and my HR while running any distance is never under 150. If I can hold it under 160 it's a good day, sometimes I'm in the 170's. I haven't died yet although I assume I will someday. I'm hoping it's while I'm running because it will look so much better to say I died while out on a run than sitting on the couch watching TV with a bag of Doritos.

:laugh: This is me exactly, except I'm 42, not 55.

Original poster - definitely check with your doctor, run tests if necessary. But it sounds like you are doing everything right by building up your distances gradually. Way to go!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Sometimes more information is dangerous to those of us who don't really know what to do with it. I agree with HR as an individual thing. I would think the monitor is more accurate than the estimates but as far as calorie count estimates I would probably pick a point between the two... Even HR monitors are not 100%... Always good to check with the Doc though....

Best wishes on your continued success.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    When I do long distance sprints my heart rate goes to about 205. I have photos of this if you don't believe me :P
    I had my doctor check it out, everything is fine, I just have a fast heart rate when I work out....
    I would recommend you do the same with your doctor, just to be on the safe side, if you are that concerned.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been to see my doctor last week for a full check up and am waiting for the results of the blood tests. My blood pressure is OK and he is happy for me to run up to half marathon distance but no further. I can just about talk when I run and recover quite rapidly when I stop running. It's just the high readings which worry me. The watch is a Polar RC3 GPS and has many functions which I don't understand yet, VmaxO2 etc. My last run had a "training Load" of over 300, what ever that means.

Thanks for the helpful advice I will run again tomorrow and see what reading I get
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Darlin Im pretty sure if you walk for at least 45 minutes a day, CONSISTENTLY, you will be improving far more than you think and definitely giving yourself years. But you gotta keep it up! Everyone thinks walking wont cause powerful changes, but its the basic building block of fitness. Being self-propelled is beautiful.

BIG HUGS
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing the HR formula of 220 - Age will tell you and that's a number that's 220 less your age. Its an entirely worthless formula. I'd say it means nothing but as you're seeing it actually means less than nothing as its making your use of an HRM meaningless.

The challenge is finding your true HR max. Generally I'd say you should just push yourself on hills or a treadmill at high incline until you can find it. In your case though that would be dangerous. You should discuss with a medical professional a way to do it because it can be done in a controlled and safe environment.

Your HR sounds like mine though. I'm often in the 160s when I run and that's normal (Z3) for me .
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been to see my doctor last week for a full check up and am waiting for the results of the blood tests. My blood pressure is OK and he is happy for me to run up to half marathon distance but no further. I can just about talk when I run and recover quite rapidly when I stop running. It's just the high readings which worry me. The watch is a Polar RC3 GPS and has many functions which I don't understand yet, VmaxO2 etc. My last run had a "training Load" of over 300, what ever that means.

Thanks for the helpful advice I will run again tomorrow and see what reading I get

BTW, I also have the same watch...love it. If you have a PPT account I'd be happy for another friend over there 8)

Training load is Polar's way of calculating how hard you worked. 300 is a fairly hard workout. The rapid HR recovery after running is the most important thing.