Starting A Diet At Xmas, Good Idea???

Options
hi,

I've just joined MFP as I've heard loads of great stuff about it, so hoping it will give me the extra push and motivation needed... Starting the diet TODAY!!! So I'm already for a positive start to the new year without it being a real shock to the system!

Anyone else starting or recently started a diet.... any tips would be great.... I've got about 2 stone to lose and hoping I can do it withing 3 months... :noway:

Replies

• BooBerrie77
    BooBerrie77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i just started this monday

i like doing it this time of year because then if i survive the holiday in tact, i know i am ready to change

i plan my meals out , including treats (because what is the point of life without a lil sweet) and when i am eating, i take my time and if i want to eat , i think about whether or not i am really hungry (i am a boredom, stress, and emotional eater)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I always get more motivated around the holidays :) Good luck!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    If you can be disciplined during Christmas, then you can do it the rest of the year.... hahaha :wink:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    think of it this way, if you start today, your 11 days ahead of progress than you would be if you started jan 1! no reason you have to eat bad all 11 days just because its christmas! make a plan, stick to the plan. example, my plan is to stay on track, but allow myself the 24th, 25th and 31st as free days that i dont have to worry... that still leaves 8 days for good eating though, between now and the 1st!
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I restarted on Sunday.... I find I manage better if I start on a Sunday. I'm gonna be logging everyday now until Xmas day when I'll let myself have a good day and then jump back on it xxx Only problem lies in people saying that its Christmas and eating everything in sight and bringing lots of goodies to work. Add me as a friend anyone :) xxxx

I have around 16lbs to lose x
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    in september, i was 246 pounds... ive lost 44 pounds, still having a couple days a month as my reward days (every other saturday to be exact) and i still lose constantly! its when 1 day turns into 5 days, 10 days, 30 days... then you have a problem! just make a plan and stick to it!!!
  • Avril84
    Options
    cheers for the tips guys.... If I can do it now when there are boxes of chocolates open EVERYWHERE I seem to go ... then it should be a piece of cake when January comes around!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's always a good time to start a healthy lifestyle! And you're ahead of all the New Year's resolutionist!
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sure! Start now while you have the motivation.
  • TJanel101
    TJanel101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say stay motivated and dont focus on time, take your time and just make it a everyday thing. Do it like Clock work, remember to nourish your body. Give it what it needs, and try to get addicted to working out! you can do it!:smile::smile:
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    cheers for the tips guys.... If I can do it now when there are boxes of chocolates open EVERYWHERE I seem to go ... then it should be a piece of cake when January comes around!

Exactly!
  • TJanel101
    TJanel101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck I always get morivated also!
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I just got my Fit armband and even though I considered waiting until New Years, I figured why not start now? It's been excellent to motivate me to leave the office goodies table alone and I've been walking more (shopping more too).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Any time is a good time to start.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I started September 12th... and I'm SO glad I did. I've lost almost 50 pounds, instead of gaining almost 50 from all the wonderfully delicious holiday treats I would love to get my claws on and choke down shamelessly. LoL. I'm sorry.. What does a stone equal to for a pound? :)
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    Sod that! Im gonna eat all i can over Christmas then workout like a beast after New Year. :smile:

33141513.png
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    and you will find so many good recipes on here, eventually, you will actually prefer the healthy choices over the non-healthy ones...

example, i have 5 kids, taking them to the balboa island boat parade tonight... anyone who knows about it knows that means ice cream, pizza, hot chocolate smothered in whipped cream, fried chicken, and many other crazy food choices... so, im going to sprouts, and grabbing stuff to make some homemade salsa and veggies for dipping (chips for the kids)... then going to make my home-made pizza rolls, and some 25 cal hot chocolate... pack it and bring it with... that way, im not sitting there starving while everyone is shoveling...

if you know people at work are bringing goodies, bring your own goodies to pick at... there are lots of choices, like fresh frozen berries, mixed with fat free cool whip, let sit for 45 minutes, turns into a sorbet mousse type treat...
  • Avril84
    Options
    I started September 12th... and I'm SO glad I did. I've lost almost 50 pounds, instead of gaining almost 50 from all the wonderfully delicious holiday treats I would love to get my claws on and choke down shamelessly. LoL. I'm sorry.. What does a stone equal to for a pound? :)

A stone is 14lb....
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Actually I think anytime is a good time..because it really shouldnt be a *diet*. People always say that diets fail...and its true..they do. You stay on it long enough to lose weight, then go right back to the bad eating habits you had before and gain it all back. Its all about a real lifestyle change and making permanent changes to your eating habits. MFP is an awesome tool to help accomplish this. By logging what I eat I really see what it is "costing me" and I can either make a better choice, or I can plan for it better. The motivation from other people is pretty awesome too! Best of luck to you!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    "Now" is always a good place to start. If you decide to do "free days" like some have suggested, still log everything that goes past your lips (good or bad). Always know what a serving size is. You don't have to have a whole serving of everything, but be aware of how much you are eating. If you are like me and like everything and don't want to miss out or feel deprived, try a quarter serving of each. Sometimes it's amazing to me how much I would have piled on my plate before, and not realized how many servings I was eating at a time. You want to enjoy, but still be aware.