How long can i keep tofu?

Options
Hi there! I have just started replacing some meats with tofu, and it's not bad! However, I never use a full container (my husband won't touch the stuff!) so I need to know how long it lasts in the fridge, and can i freeze it? I googled the answer, but there were a lot of conflicting answers. Also, does anyone have some good tofu recipes?

--still a meat eater, but in moderation!

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Is there no expiration date on the package?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The package should have an expiration date. It lasts quite a while if I remember correctly. I am not sure, cause at my house it gets eaten pretty quickly. You can freeze it, and then thaw it out and reuse it. I make a tofu scramble on weekends from the Happy Herbivore cookbook that is delicious. Even my meat eating hubby loves it!
  • devilheels
    Options
    Well, I guess I should have asked a better question lol. How long can I keep tofu in the fridge once it has been opened? The package, unopened, has an expiration day, but doesn't say how long it keeps in the fridge once I open it. I didn't know what people's experiences were. I will try freezing single servings!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Tofu is best when you freeze it solid and then let it thaw out in the fridge 24 hours before you cook it. You can leave it in the freezer for ages that way. If you want to pre-portion, you can open it, cut it up, put each block in a bag with enough water to cover it, and freeze, it'll be fine, just don't re-freeze it once it's already been frozen/thawed.

If you want to use it in a smoothie or a creamy sauce, though, don't do this, because the texture changes. Just deal with the fridge and use it up quickly.

My standard recipe goes like this:

a block of thawed, previously-frozen tofu, squeezed and cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 Tbsp (or less) olive oil
    1/4 c nutritional yeast
    some soy sauce or bullion (concentrated)
    some water
    whatever else sounds like it would be good in a sauce today (ketchup, tomato paste, nut butter, PB2, cheese powder, tabasco, spices, herbs, etc.)

Fry up the tofu in the oil until it's nice and golden. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients with enough water to make a thickish sauce and pour that over the tofu, stirring to coat. Cook until sauce is crisped onto the tofu. (Work quickly on this part, from adding to done only takes a minute or two.) Nutritional info depends on what you make the sauce out of, but it's generally high-protein and tasty. Plus it's quick, and you can add vegetables and rice or whatever to turn it into a stir-fry.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You should pick it up in store and walk to the nearest garbage can.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've kept an opened container of tofu for up to a week in my fridge, just change the water every day. It might last even longer, but I haven't tried.
    You're right about the expiration date, that is only useful before it's opened.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You can freeze tofu, but it changes the texture. It makes it chewier, some people prefer it that way.

In the fridge, it really depends on the brand and how firm it is, but it should keep for a few days. Just change the water daily and keep it in an airtight container.

And ways I cook it....I love slow roasting it in the oven. I just cut it into slices and roast it on low for however long it takes for it to crisp up. That is how I used to make it all the time (haven't had it in awhile though), I would marinade it however I wanted. I used to make this sandwich a lot, http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/tlt-sandwich-recipe.html

Actually, that whole website has a lot of great ideas.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tofu is best when you freeze it solid and then let it thaw out in the fridge 24 hours before you cook it. You can leave it in the freezer for ages that way. If you want to pre-portion, you can open it, cut it up, put each block in a bag with enough water to cover it, and freeze, it'll be fine, just don't re-freeze it once it's already been frozen/thawed.

If you want to use it in a smoothie or a creamy sauce, though, don't do this, because the texture changes. Just deal with the fridge and use it up quickly.

My standard recipe goes like this:

a block of thawed, previously-frozen tofu, squeezed and cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 Tbsp (or less) olive oil
    1/4 c nutritional yeast
    some soy sauce or bullion (concentrated)
    some water
    whatever else sounds like it would be good in a sauce today (ketchup, tomato paste, nut butter, PB2, cheese powder, tabasco, spices, herbs, etc.)

Fry up the tofu in the oil until it's nice and golden. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients with enough water to make a thickish sauce and pour that over the tofu, stirring to coat. Cook until sauce is crisped onto the tofu. (Work quickly on this part, from adding to done only takes a minute or two.) Nutritional info depends on what you make the sauce out of, but it's generally high-protein and tasty. Plus it's quick, and you can add vegetables and rice or whatever to turn it into a stir-fry.

haven't cooked with tofu yet but i've eaten it out and love it, bumpity bump! thanks for sharing :)
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I hate tofu!! But my husband likes it deep fried. He gets it when he orders at a Chinese Restaurant. I tried to make deep fried but he doesn't like it. He is the only one who likes it so that is fine with me.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    The only think I like is Tofu Crumbles. It is easy to put in taco's, spaghetti. It is sold in the Produce. They usually have it next to the Tofu as well. My hubby said if you are going to freeze tofu you might as well buy a Veggie Produce. There is a recipe for a Tofu Soup that I don't mind.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yeah my veggie friend introduced me to deep fried tofu at the Chinese too, it's gorgoeous I love it. I did then buy some full of intentions to do something with it, but I chucked in the end. I'll just have it at the chinese instead!