My NSV: Running in 2012

Options
You "real" runners may not think it's a huge number, but I finished my first year of running with just over 250 miles in the books, at an average pace of 9:03 min/mi. That's 37 hours beating the pavement in 2012. Not bad for a guy who couldn't run two miles straight in 2011. Plagued by chronic knee pain I struggled to get moving consistently in the begging of the year, but by mid summer I was really moving!. Those numbers also include my 1st 10K (53:00) and my 1st half marathon (1:54:42), not to mention dropping a solid 20 pounds over the year, and keeping it off. Check that August out: 57.5 miles run at an average 8:15 pace. Killin it.

2012_zps201a938a-1_zpsa75a46b5.jpg

2013 goals:
325+miles run.
Sub 21min 5K
Sub 50min 10K
Run the Tough Mudder
Run two+ Half Marathons, aiming for a 1:45 time.
Still contemplating the May 25K in GR... damn that's a long way.

That ought to keep me busy! Some of these goals I'll clobber, some of them will be mighty tough.

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    calories burned: 266 twinkies, or 13 whole Pizza Hut Large pepperoni Pan Pizzas. :tongue:
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's quite the achievement :)
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Definitely something to brag about!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I would say you are a runner. If you put one foot infront of the other as fast as you can, you are running! Be proud of your achievement! 2013 toqlw look great too! keep it up
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    Good for you! Everyone has to start somewhere, and you just kept on going. and I agree with the person above me - you're a runner if you 'just do it'. =)
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :happy:
  • soo_z
    soo_z Posts: 42
    Options
    Awesome work!!!

I have to ask, what did you use to track all of this?? I'm looking for this exact type of set up for myself for 2013.
  • carleemaeb
    Options
    Way to go!! Definitely something to brag about!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Yes it is...
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!!!
  • Crystal82186
    Crystal82186 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    haha! What is a "real runner" anyways? You kicked *kitten* and took names and for that I applaud you :) If you run, you are a runner, if you attempt to run, you are a runner! Awesome job, that is really something to be proud of!

Keep it up and set a goal for next year! Oh wait..the world is ending tomorrow, isn't it. damn! lol J/K Have a great holiday!

Edit: So, I just saw that you have goals for next year...I need better attention to detail, lol!
  • javajinny
    Options
    Awesome! Your 9 minute miles are a lot better than my 17 minute miles (walking briskly, but down from 19 minute miles). I'm trying to get myself running (jogging really). It's a mind thing, though; I think I'm afraid of getting winded too quickly, being discouraged, and giving up. Running is my goal in 2013. I do a lot of 5 and 8K's, walking briskly. Always the last the to finish, but I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. :) Congrats, 9 minute miles are really something to brag about.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    WIN.

Running is by no means easy. Anyone who says it is, is full of it. Well done.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great job! That is an awesome accomplishment!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your 9 minute miles are a lot better than my 17 minute miles (walking briskly, but down from 19 minute miles). I'm trying to get myself running (jogging really). It's a mind thing, though; I think I'm afraid of getting winded too quickly, being discouraged, and giving up. Running is my goal in 2013. I do a lot of 5 and 8K's, walking briskly. Always the last the to finish, but I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. :) Congrats, 9 minute miles are really something to brag about.

I would try couch to 5 k (C25K). It builds you up to running from 30 seconds at a time to 30 minutes. It's supposed to be a 9 week program, but I repeated several weeks so that I felt comfortable before going to my next interval, so it took me longer to complete. At least check it out to see if it is something you may want to do. Good luck!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow....I totally salute you! You are fast - especially for having just started this year!

I got started in June - and logged similar total mileage to you....but at a MUCH slower pace. Especially the early runs included a lot of walking mixed in. I however, am still working to get under that elusive 10 min mile.

running_zps21804bbe-1_zps282bdc3b.jpg

Goals for 2013

Run a 10k (April) - Goal 1:05 or less
    5k time under 30min (Curr PR 32:39)
    Run 1Mile at 9min pace (Curr PR 10:07)
    complete sprint length triathalon in August

Good luck to you, and keep us posted when you hit your milestones this year!
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    Awesome work!!!

I have to ask, what did you use to track all of this?? I'm looking for this exact type of set up for myself for 2013.

Thanks! I have a blackberry, best program I've found for it is MiCoach by Adidas, real nice program. If you have and iPhone or Android I think Nike+ or mapmyrun are alot more prevalent.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!!

Thanks! I have a blackberry, best program I've found for it is MiCoach by Adidas, real nice program. If you have and iPhone or Android I think Nike+ or mapmyrun are alot more prevalent.

The screenshot on my post is from Nike+ for comparison. I use with iphone.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options

Thanks! You can do it! Like I said, I was hardly running at all in 2011, couldn't consistently run two miles. before I was winded and broken. Beginning of the year those are all short runs, 2-4 miles... built up over the whole year.

When I ran my first 5K in may I said "I don't EVER want to run farther than that"

When I ran my first 10K in late June I said "I don't EVER want to run farther than that"

When I ran my first Half in November I said "I don't EVER want to run farther than that"

LOL.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    Wow....I totally salute you! You are fast - especially for having just started this year!

I got started in June - and logged similar total mileage to you....but at a MUCH slower pace. Especially the early runs included a lot of walking mixed in. I however, am still working to get under that elusive 10 min mile.

running_zps21804bbe-1_zps282bdc3b.jpg

Goals for 2013

Run a 10k (April) - Goal 1:05 or less
    5k time under 30min (Curr PR 32:39)
    Run 1Mile at 9min pace (Curr PR 10:07)
    complete sprint length triathalon in August

Good luck to you, and keep us posted when you hit your milestones this year!

That's a huge amount of mileage in 6 months! I salute you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!