How do you eat well during stressful times? HELP!

Options
I am running into the most insane, busiest time of the year at work - I will literally be there 6 days a week until 10 or 11pm until mid-January.

I have an hour commute each way and I generally get up at 5:30am to walk for an hour. I am dead tired and live to sleep on Saturdays.

I work in midtown manhattan and am surrounded by restaurants that aren't healthy.

I have so much stress, little time to make food for myself (or much else), and am exhausted. I am ready to make some poor food choices and would like to avoid that. I don't want to self sabotage!

What are your tips for getting healthy food into your body?

I am still in the very beginning of my journey and don't want to consider a "cheat" day or week yet...

TIA

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would say pack your own food as much as possible to avoid the temptation or convenience of grabbing something at a restaurant. Cut your walk short if you need to in order to have enough time to prepare & pack the healthy stuff - in the long run, eating the healthy stuff & getting a shorter walk would be better than the full walk with the junky foods.
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Use part of a day of the weekend to make something that will last for lunches for the week. I love making soups from Skinnytaste.com and having the leftovers for the week. I know it is hard- I'm a doctoral student and I work and I'm married... You have to keep in mind why you want this! It seems like you will be there for a long time-- pack healthy snacks! Good luck, stay determined.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    PACK SNACKS! The healthy kind. And keep them within reach at all times!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Use Saturday to make something like soup or some kind of meal. Put it in containers for the rest of the week. That way in the mornings, you can grab your food and go.

And like others said, pack snacks! When you go to the grocery store, grab some healthy snacks. Leave some at the office to have when you forget to bring it in the morning too, that way you won't be tempted to get something unhealthy.

It's hard, but it's do-able. :smile:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Pack your own food. Make sure that your meals are planned ahead of time as much as possible, and always keep healthy snacks with you. I literally carry bananas and packages of nuts in my purse anytime I think I might be in a situation where I will need them. For me, now that I am in control of my eating, it makes stressful times a tiny it less stressful. And when I come out on the other side of the chaos, I feel good about myself for making good choices even when I was under stress.
  • BooBerrie77
    BooBerrie77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i have a very hectic schedule too ... i find that if i do not "prep" my meals on Sunday ... i struggle

i chop all veggies, plan out my meals and pack as many lunches as i can that day ... it takes about 2 or so hours on sunday, but it is a huge help to just be able to grab something out of the fridge in the morning and go .... and i know it is good for me

a lil time on Sunday saves me mucho time during the week
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST: Don't skip just to save calories and time!! This will help lose weight just find something quick and low calories that you don't need to fuss around with so you have more time for yourself. When I'm @ school I eat protein bars because they fill you up and are super simple just unwrap. Watch the calorie content on these you can find ones around 200-250 calories and when you do stock up.

LUNCH: Pack your own lunch of a high protein meat and fresh veggies OR find a restaurant that offers healthier options and use lunch as your "large" meal of the day.

DINNER:I love making lean cuisines for dinner there pre-portioned and come in so many flavors and different cuisines. I just add a large salad and dinner is done no fuss and no mess to clean-up after. The less time I spend in the kitchen the less time I get tempted to start snacking.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY DIETING :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I sit down on the weekends and pre-plan an entire weeks meals, including snacks and then I go shopping. If something is cumbersome and takes awhile to make, I will prepare those things over the weekend and freeze for later. This time of year in particular, I do a lot of stews and stoups. A couple different batches of a hardy stew that serve 6-8 will last me all week switching off between lunches and dinner. I also do a lot of easy stuff like cottage cheese and an orange as my AM snack...greek yogurt and blueberries as my PM snack...nuts (I especially love almonds)...whole grain/seed crackers...fruit in general, etc that require little to no preparation and I can eat on the go.

This not only helps me in the preparing my own meals department, but keeps me out of the store every night, where I may be tempted to just impulse buy something I shouldn't be having
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You guys have such great ideas. Here's my problem: I am an orthodox jew who keeps the sabbath and keeps kosher - which means I don't cook on Saturdays :( and I am working Sundays...

The kosher part means I can't rely on preprepared foods like lean cuisine which aren't kosher.

So either I have to make it or I have to buy it from a kosher establishment - most restaurant food (kosher or otherwise) I find is a HUGE danger zone - sugar, oil, etc. I can only look at so many take out salads before I want to scream. Even a turkey burger comes only with a white hamburger bun and a white potato (hey, it isn't french fries). I can't resist the white flour bun... so hard...
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others have said, PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!!! I will input my breakfast and lunch for the upcoming day the evening before when I'm getting ready for bed. This helps me to stick to my plan. If I know I'm going to be grabbing something at a restaurant, I pull up their menu before I walk over there (I'm on a University campus with TONS of restaurants within walking distance), so that I can make the best decision possible and don't have any surprises! I also keep hot tea and snacks (nuts, no sugar added fruit cups, individually wrapped dark chocolate squares, popcorn, fat free greek yogurt, etc) at the office for when I'm feeling snackish to give me less temptation of heading somewhere that I will likely make poor decisions.

When I have a free hour in the evening I will make up some breakfast burritos to heat up for breakfast throughout the week. I will cook 2-3 nights a week and go ahead and portion out the leftovers so that I can throw them in my lunch bag...and not have to eat the same thing every day.

Hot beverages, especially teas, will help to curb emotional/stress eating for me as well. I have a tea/coffee station set up in a highly visible place at work and home to encourage tea over eating.

I have the added complication of high BP and water retention that can both be controlled by watching my sodium intake. So Lean Cuisines and the like are totally out of question for me. I have to make my own freezer dinners :)

The weeks that I pack my lunch and breakfast are the weeks I see the most progress in inches and pounds!
  • ethieman
    Options
    Feel free to add me and you can stalk my diary for food ideas. I also work 6 days a week...and although I'm not Jewish, I don't do a damn thing on Saturdays (including cooking) because I deserve a day off!
  • gettingto98
    Options
    well, luckily you're in midtown manhattan! i know that there are LOTS of places there with calorie counts that you can just run and get things. pick out a few meals from those places and just get in a routine of getting those. this can be a little more expensive, but if you truly don't have enough time, it'll be easier.

some chain ideas: cosi, just salad, energy kitchen, chipotle, jamba juice, au bon pain, le pain quotidien, pret a manger

all of these have nutrition info & the low cal stuff is filling and tastes good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    While you are sleeping, cook your food in a crockpot. Cook a pot full of healthy soup or stew, or some beans and brown rice. Something you can take to work all week without fixing more.

Buy a bag(s) of precut veggies and take to work with some pre-made hummus or peanut butter for those days when you just want a little something different. There are also plenty of premixed salads available these days, which are super easy.

Or have a bag of steam in the bag veggies and a glass of almond milk with protien powder for a super quick and easy lunch.
  • ethieman
    Options
    Here's a great website too: http://www.fat2fitpowertips.com/
  • bcattoes
    Options
    While you are sleeping, cook your food in a crockpot. Cook a pot full of healthy soup or stew, or some beans and brown rice. Something you can take to work all week without fixing more.

Buy a bag(s) of precut veggies and take to work with some pre-made hummus or peanut butter for those days when you just want a little something different. There are also plenty of premixed salads available these days, which are super easy.

Or have a bag of steam in the bag veggies and a glass of almond milk with protien powder for a super quick and easy lunch.

Edited: Just read your response re: kosher. If you can't cook on Saturday, you can do the crockpot overnight or even all day while you work (on low). Crockpots are wonderful time savers.

My local grocery sells kosher hummus and baba ganoush. I can't remember the brand right now, but I'm sure it's available in NY if they sell it in my little town.
  • FunnyGirl613
    Options
    I did order myself some thermoses from amazon today so I can take soup with me to work (I would have soup at every meal).

I am feeling squeezed in many areas...

I really want fried chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch - bad choices...
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what everyone else has said: Plan, Plan, Plan! You mentioned some additional restraints because of keeping Kosher, so you know what dietary restrictions there are because of that.

Do you have access to a fridge at work?
    Do you have a place to keep healthy non-perishable foods at work?
    What does your lunch time/break times look like (hour long lunch?)
    Do you have a kitchen/microwave at work?

IF you have an hour lunch, try bringing a change of clothes and walking at lunch instead of the morning. This way, you're not tempted to go out for lunch and you're getting a little more rest in the morning. If you need to use that time to pack your lunch in the morning, then do it.

Can you rest at all during your commute (are you taking public transportation?) if so, close your eyes, practice deep breathing/relaxation, listen to some relaxing music. This way, you may be more relaxed when you get home and be able to get to sleep quicker.

But honestly, pack your lunches and snacks. Even if it's a salad and a sandwich with soup.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I did order myself some thermoses from amazon today so I can take soup with me to work (I would have soup at every meal).

I am feeling squeezed in many areas...

I really want fried chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch - bad choices...

Roast chicken in the crockpot along with some cauliflower and 1-2 potatoes (optional). When done, toss the cauliflower and potato (if used) in a food processor with some low fat sour cream. There is your mashed potatoes. Enjoy with the roast chicken. (also works well if you use parsnips or turnips with/instead of the cauliflower). If you want gravy, add mushroom to the pot and puree with some chicken stock and a little cornstarch.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think this is pretty good ... If the worse comes to the worse, just hurl your snacks at the people annoying you - the sound of peanuts bouncing over someone's bonce is quite satisfying!
  • FunnyGirl613
    Options
    I think this is pretty good ... If the worse comes to the worse, just hurl your snacks at the people annoying you - the sound of peanuts bouncing over someone's bonce is quite satisfying!
    :drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: