1100-1200 Calories a day

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    i try to work out every day but sometimes i feel tired. i think i dont eat enough, but i dont want to.

I used to do the same thing. I'd eat barely enough to make it through my day, but not enough to get through a workout. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, but nobody could tell because my fat stayed and my muscle left. I saw a picture of myself and I looked so lumpy and gross, and had dark circles under my eyes. I still looked fat in a bikini and had zero energy, and developed all kinds of issues over food and body image and ended up having to go to counseling. Now, I am at the same weight I was after I lost all that weight the wrong way, but I am 3 sizes smaller this time, have lots of energy, can sleep like a normal person (no rx pills to fall asleep), and look good naked for the first time in my life.

I would suggest increasing cals a little bit, maybe like 300 more per day, and add in a short 20-30 minute workout 5-6 days a week.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

You may want to add some strength training to mix things up....lots of great stories on here about that!!!

im 5'4 130 pounds

i eat based on a bmr for someone who is 100 pounds- but im thinking i should take it up to 110. 100 seems scary low.

my BMR is 1414. so should i take the daily recommended calories, subtract 250, and burn the other 250 off with exercise? will that really work? it seems so simple.

That will really work ;)

Sorry friend, but that is her BMR not her TDEE.

Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure while the BMR is what you use if you just lie in bed.
    Given your activity level your TDEE is 1.4 to 1.5 time your BMR.

Let's use the lower level.

Your TDEE is about 1900-2000.

Which means that taking 10-15% off of that is 1600. This will create a deficit that you can lose at, have energy and not destroy your metabolism by losing to much LBM.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been confused about this since Day 1, for some reason, I'm just not getting it.

I am 5'2", 34 y/o, CW is 180, GW is 135.
    I don't know my body fat percentage.

If I input those numbers into the calculator on fat2fitradio.com, It says my BMR is 1570. It also says TDEE at sedentary is 1649.

So if I want to lose 1 lb per week, at a sendetary lifestyle, how many calories should I be eating????
    Because it seems I only lose any weight if I average around 1200 calories per day, so I don't see any way I could eat above 1500 and lose weight at all. Are these numbers just off because I don't know my bodyfat?

Someone please clearly explain this to me. Thanks!

*UPDATE* I just calculated my body fat, it is 41.9%. So if I input that into the calculator, I get BMR: 1401, TDEE at sedentary: 1649.

If I use my CW as my GW, it gives me a TDEE of 1884 to maintain. So to lose 1 lb per week, should I be eating 1384?
    I'm so confused!

You should eat at a 20% deficit and you will lose weight - but you are so close to your goal it will be slower weight loss (like .5 pound a week). I am in the same boat and I average 2 pounds each month so I only weigh once a month. When I reach my goal, I will continue to eat the same way and maintain. You should not eat below your BMR, but you could cut your calories to 1500 for for a 20% deficit (.5 pound a week)... Then, if you want more food, work out more and adjust your activity level up to lightly active for more calories.
  • TwistedFun
    Options
    If you continue to eat that little, you will probably catabolize more lean muscle mass that fat. And why do you think you have to eat 1100 calories to lose fat? All that is doing is teaching your body to survive on little to no calories. If you want to cut fat, you want a moderate deficit and generally a combination of HIIT and heavy weight training. If you want to look like the girl in the link below on the left, then keep eating the way you are, but if you want to look lean and fit, then you need to eat like one. Which is generally closer to 1800 (based on your current BMR and workout routine this is where you should be daily) calories or more. Additionally, you feel tired because you don't' eat enough (sadly you know this but don't' want to change it). I think the biggest thing you need to change is your perception of a fueling your body. Also, stop worrying about the weight, worry about body composition. The more muscle you have, the tighter your body will be so you do NOT want to be ok with losing muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

WOW.

guys i have done it, i upped my calories goal to 1500, somewhere between my tdee and bmr (1414-1630+)
    hopefully doing this will give me more energy, as i have been unable to do my workouts because of the huge deficit.
    this might be a stupid question, but if a person has a small frame, and alot of flab, does it mean that they are skinny fat? and does a skinny fat person have to do the same as a fat-fat person to lose weight?

my wrist is 5.5 inches, but my hips are wide 36.5 inches (sometimes 37 dependes where i measure)

i am also suspecting a hormone imbalance which causes me to cling to fat in the midsection and back. even though im still pear shaped, its just barely. i want my middle fat to go.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    this might be a stupid question, but if a person has a small frame, and alot of flab, does it mean that they are skinny fat? and does a skinny fat person have to do the same as a fat-fat person to lose weight?

my wrist is 5.5 inches, but my hips are wide 36.5 inches (sometimes 37 dependes where i measure)

i am also suspecting a hormone imbalance which causes me to cling to fat in the midsection and back. even though im still pear shaped, its just barely. i want my middle fat to go.

Maybe. skinny fat is just someone with a high amount of body fat at a lower overall weight. Body fat is often measured in percent. So you will see %bf.

You can calculate your %bf using one of the many on-line calculators or using several other methods. Whatever it comes up with, to get rid of that and to improve your body composition one of the best solutions is strength training. Look into it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been confused about this since Day 1, for some reason, I'm just not getting it.

If I input those numbers into the calculator on fat2fitradio.com, It says my BMR is 1570. It also says TDEE at sedentary is 1649.

So if I want to lose 1 lb per week, at a sendetary lifestyle, how many calories should I be eating????
    Because it seems I only lose any weight if I average around 1200 calories per day, so I don't see any way I could eat above 1500 and lose weight at all. Are these numbers just off because I don't know my bodyfat?

*UPDATE* I just calculated my body fat, it is 41.9%. So if I input that into the calculator, I get BMR: 1401, TDEE at sedentary: 1649.

If I use my CW as my GW, it gives me a TDEE of 1884 to maintain. So to lose 1 lb per week, should I be eating 1384?
    I'm so confused!

You should eat at a 20% deficit and you will lose weight - but you are so close to your goal it will be slower weight loss (like .5 pound a week). I am in the same boat and I average 2 pounds each month so I only weigh once a month. When I reach my goal, I will continue to eat the same way and maintain. You should not eat below your BMR, but you could cut your calories to 1500 for for a 20% deficit (.5 pound a week)... Then, if you want more food, work out more and adjust your activity level up to lightly active for more calories.
    well 20% deficit would be 1320 calories which is exactly what MFP tells me to eat. but anytime I eat over 1300, I gain weight or lose nothing. Also, how am I close to my goal when I still have over 40 lbs to lose??!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lift. Eat. Rinse. Repeat.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you continue to eat that little, you will probably catabolize more lean muscle mass that fat. And why do you think you have to eat 1100 calories to lose fat? All that is doing is teaching your body to survive on little to no calories. If you want to cut fat, you want a moderate deficit and generally a combination of HIIT and heavy weight training. If you want to look like the girl in the link below on the left, then keep eating the way you are, but if you want to look lean and fit, then you need to eat like one. Which is generally closer to 1800 (based on your current BMR and workout routine this is where you should be daily) calories or more. Additionally, you feel tired because you don't' eat enough (sadly you know this but don't' want to change it). I think the biggest thing you need to change is your perception of a fueling your body. Also, stop worrying about the weight, worry about body composition. The more muscle you have, the tighter your body will be so you do NOT want to be ok with losing muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

WOW.

guys i have done it, i upped my calories goal to 1500, somewhere between my tdee and bmr (1414-1630+)
    hopefully doing this will give me more energy, as i have been unable to do my workouts because of the huge deficit.

My wrist is 6" and my hips are 40.5 (I'm 5'2" btw). You can't spot reduce where the fat comes off. I know my stomach is going to be the last thing to go because I've always carried weight there. If you're worried about being "skinny fat" then start weight training. Be patient. This should be a lifestyle change. It's not going to happen overnight.
  • zpbonjour
    Options
    Funny you should mention the lack of energy... I suffered from the same thing. Notice the past tense? The one and only thing that I had in common with you was my love of carbohydrates. I loved cereals, yogurts, fruits, breads, and pasta! I always felt sluggish and tired, and I thought that was normal! Today, I am FULL of energy! Personally, I feel the best when I eat less than 50g of carbs and around 1200 calories per day. Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto for more info.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I'm so confused!

well 20% deficit would be 1320 calories which is exactly what MFP tells me to eat. but anytime I eat over 1300, I gain weight or lose nothing. Also, how am I close to my goal when I still have over 40 lbs to lose??!

Ok - mis-statement about your goal being so close. I confused with the OP stats.

However, based on your maintenance number of 1884, a 20% deficit is not 1320, it is 1570.

As for gaining at anything over 1300 I cannot explain it - but how often do you weigh? our bodies shift up to 5 pounds in one day from water and other factors. When you shift from VLC eating to TDEE eating you should give yourself 30 days to adjust and avoid the scale. I was terrified to try it, but it worked for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm so confused!

1320 is not your TDEE, it's your deficit. Your TDEE is 1820 (if that is with 1 lb per week) and that does NOT include exercise. If you exercise and burn another 300 calories, your TDEE is 2120. So you will not be able to gain FAT unless you are eating over 2120. You can gain water weight from extra carbs as they are more prone to storing water/glycogen but it's impossible to gain fat. I Bet I can have you eat 1700-1800 calories (especially higher in protein) and within a month, it will stabilize and you will drop weight again.

Unfortunately, too many people try to up their calories for a week or less, get on a scale and freak out that "it's not working for them". The general reason they gain weight is; they added more sodium to their diet, they added more carbs or they have been on a lcd for so long their body is learning how to adapt to getting more calories in.
  • CM9178
    Options

I'm so confused!

1320 is not your TDEE, it's your deficit. Your TDEE is 1820 (if that is with 1 lb per week) and that does NOT include exercise. If you exercise and burn another 300 calories, your TDEE is 2120. So you will not be able to gain FAT unless you are eating over 2120. You can gain water weight from extra carbs as they are more prone to storing water/glycogen but it's impossible to gain fat. I Bet I can have you eat 1700-1800 calories (especially higher in protein) and within a month, it will stabilize and you will drop weight again.

Unfortunately, too many people try to up their calories for a week or less, get on a scale and freak out that "it's not working for them". The general reason they gain weight is; they added more sodium to their diet, they added more carbs or they have been on a lcd for so long their body is learning how to adapt to getting more calories in.
    I understand 1820 is my TDEE,and to lose weight I'd need to create a deficit which is 1320. But my question is why is that number less than my BMR?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight.

You will also be tired, weak, unhappy, skinny fat and unable to eat a decent amount of calories without gaining.

Bodies are efficient machines, they adapt to suit their needs. If you are teaching your body to run on nothing it will. For a time anyway, why would you want to teach your body to live on fewer calories?

You say that you don't think you eat enough, but you don't want to eat more. Why?

This....
  • CM9178
    Options

I'm so confused!

Ok - mis-statement about your goal being so close. I confused with the OP stats.

However, based on your maintenance number of 1884, a 20% deficit is not 1320, it is 1570.

As for gaining at anything over 1300 I cannot explain it - but how often do you weigh? our bodies shift up to 5 pounds in one day from water and other factors. When you shift from VLC eating to TDEE eating you should give yourself 30 days to adjust and avoid the scale. I was terrified to try it, but it worked for me.
    I weigh once a week, same day same time.
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I read this book call "South Beach Diet" before I did the diet plan.

I learned a lot from the author, it is not what you eat, it is how you eat it.

For breakfast everything you named contained sugar which turns into fat and putting that in your system early in the morning is not good.

Changing how you eat will make a difference.

Cutting out the sugar and flour products will decrease the cravings and starvation.

I did not think I could do it because I did not want to be hungry and suprisingly enough I was not hungry with just protein and vegetables and cut out the sugar and flour products did it for only two (2) weeks.

When I feel that craving for sweets I take a day or 2 and decrease my sugar and flour intake.

There is a book called, "Blood Sugar" I forgot the name will get it later.

When you find out how sugar and flour products and fast foods are killing us you outlook on food will be changed.
  • JAPANFOXX
    Options
    Well... I lost my 85 pounds over a year and half ago... I am toned. I didn't eat large amounts of calories.. Averaged over 1200 calories burned in the gym. Very seldom ate over 1200 calories... I am very healthy n fit. Under eating is VERY RELATIVE... just my 2 cents.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking a large portion of your cardio hours, and lift weights instead. It will help you keep as much muscle as possible while you are losing weight, and you will be much more happy with your final result.

And your new calorie goal seems like a better fit, just give it a good long try before you assess your results, like 4-6 weeks as someone else mentioned. And TAKE PICS AND MEASUREMENTS!! If you start lifting, not all your results will show up on the scale right away!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

You may want to add some strength training to mix things up....lots of great stories on here about that!!!

im 5'4 130 pounds

i eat based on a bmr for someone who is 100 pounds- but im thinking i should take it up to 110. 100 seems scary low.

my BMR is 1414. so should i take the daily recommended calories, subtract 250, and burn the other 250 off with exercise? will that really work? it seems so simple.
    Oh I thought it said above your BMR was 1290, if your BMR is in the 1400 then you should be netting a few hundred calories above that so my guess is 1600-1700 net. So yeah you are not eating enough. BTW we are the same height but my guess is you are younger than me since your BMR is higher. And to the person who said 100 is too light for a 5'4" person this is going to vary. That is too light for me but my frame is only small not tiny. I know a few tiny framed women who would probably do okay there, so my point is it is hard to know if this is too low. I trust people know their own bodies.

ETA: OP okay we are the same height and wrist measurements, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are also small framed but not tiny. So you might want to change your goal to 110-115. This is going to depend on where you carry your weight. I tend to lose everywhere fairly fast except my belly so I tend to look gaunt and bony under 115, but you might look good and be healthy all the way down to 110. But yeah I'm thinking you are not going to like what 100 looks on you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking a large portion of your cardio hours, and lift weights instead. It will help you keep as much muscle as possible while you are losing weight, and you will be much more happy with your final result.

And your new calorie goal seems like a better fit, just give it a good long try before you assess your results, like 4-6 weeks as someone else mentioned. And TAKE PICS AND MEASUREMENTS!! If you start lifting, not all your results will show up on the scale right away!
    ^this.