Needing some exercise ideas.

Options
I live in a small house and don't have room for large machines, but we have a very low income and can't afford a trip to the gym, let alone a full membership. I don't own a bicycle and even if i did, I was never taught to ride. :blushing:
I REALLY wanna start losing inches, and getting in better shape because my husband and I plan to start p90x together soon and he wants us to both at least be in fairly good shape before we start it. I have absolutely no idea what to do by ways of exercise and was wondering if anyone could help me. I would love to do Jillian micaels 30 day shred or something like that, and could probably afford the DVD, but not the weights needed for the program. I'm tired of not knowing how to exercise and ending up just counting walking and stretching as my exercise for the day. Any ideas?

Replies

• charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is available on youtube for free (as are many workout videos!)....and you can use cans of veggies/soup, water bottles for weights or something like that.

Walkings is always a good start...maybe increase to a jog/walk combo?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    See if your health insurance will pay for a gym membership. Mine does.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can also use your body weight for many exercises.

Push ups
    Squats
    Sit ups
    Crunches
    Reverse Cruches
    etc

If you like to move... turn up the music and dance!
  • 42StepC42
    Options
    I'm in kind of the same situation. I stay home with our two younger children (ages 5 and 23 months) so I've had to find ways to exercise around the apartment. I've been jogging in place for 15 minutes at least once a day, more if I can fit it in around their schedules. Then I do about 30 crunches, leg lifts and the like. I'm getting to the point where I need to up the reps or add weights myself and have been considering using cans, or laundry detergent bottles. ;)

Added bonus to exercising around the house, the little ones try to exercise along with me. Watching a 23 month old trying to figure out how to do a push up is priceless!!
  • MartialAngel
    MartialAngel Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of te canned veggies and things for weights. Thanks s much! It's Nice, too, because We have my husbands Xbox hooked up in the living room and we can get YouTube on the large tv so it's just like watching the DVD.

@mostlywater I have no health insurance. Im a SAHM and my husbands insurance only covers him. My daughter is on Medicaid. And I don't have a vehicle or a babysitter to get to the gym anyway.

@dahkneeka. Ie been doing those, but I have muscle under all of my fat from my days teaching TKD, so i rarely feel anything from those exercise anymore, even when I push hard. I still do them, and will contue to do so, but I want something that pushes me just a little more.

@42stepc42. I agree with your added bonus! However, my daughter is arely 12 months old, and isn't quite into copy's GATT in depth just yet. Besides she's so demanding of attention that my only chance to workout is while she's napping.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above who recommended using your own body weight to work out. You can do so many exercises with no equipment. Also, since you have the internet, go to the Blogilates website. Cassey has a really great site, and I always watch her videos at home. The only thing she uses are 5lb weights for some of her workouts, but you don't even really need those. But yeah, try lunges, squats, push ups, tricep dips, crunches, planks, etc. You've got a lot of options... just look into them :)
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance, I would recommend the Zumba Exhilarate DVD set. I absolutely love it! I did it a lot last spring with some co-wokers and then once school ended it never started back up again, so I bought my own program and I LOVE IT! It's fun and the music is great and it just keeps you moving.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live (it's chilly but not terribly cold here in Ohio) I would say taking a long walk with stroller (30-60 min) would definitely help, more so with one of those baby back/frontpacks. I recommend doing some intense cardio (if you can't run because of the baby, speedwalk) for 15-20 min, followed by another 15-20 of regular, fast walking to keep your heart rate up, followed by some strength training (again body weight work outs http://www.neocalisthenics.com/routines.html ) and possibly some yoga (essentially body weight exercises and flexibility)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm broke as hell so I've been relying on Youtube for my Pilates.
  • 42StepC42
    Options
    Search YouTube, I bet you can find some videos of using your 12 month old in some of the exercises. It's fun for both of you!!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can do 30 day shred... and you don't need official 'weights'... you can use soup cans or water bottles... or later, milk bottles where you add the water as you can handle more weight.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Also - look into the EA Sports Active for Xbox... It's $42 and comes with everything you need to be fit... all equipment included.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    " However, my daughter is arely 12 months old, and isn't quite into copy's GATT in depth just yet. Besides she's so demanding of attention that my only chance to workout is while she's napping."

USE YOUR DAUGHTER!! :) my 18 month old has always loved being tossed in the air while i do a squat.. of sorts..lol and catch him (not as dangerous as it sounds!!)
    I also just try to make him laugh by doing "crazy arms" and "twinkle toes" just being a dork in front of him while he sits in a high chair or jumper or even playpen.. ITS GREAT CARDIO!! and get to watch him laugh :) I guess i could even set a timer and make sure that i get a full 30 minutes if thats what my exercise is going to be for the day.

hope these ideas help you get up and move without stressing you out about childcare, or money... thats counterproductive :) add me if you like.. im a mom of 3.. working full time too.. i have lots of practice fitting in "me time" :) lol
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i would say get a kettlebell (walmart for like $20) and free videos online.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You're going to need weights for P90X (or at least resistance bands), so you might want to consider investing in them now - or eventually do a program like INSANITY instead because that doesn't require anything other than your own body weight.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We have a Wii and I exercise using Wii Fit..... and its fun! Even games on there that aren't suppose to be a workout sometimes are.....
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can also use your body weight for many exercises.

Push ups
    Squats
    Sit ups
    Crunches
    Reverse Cruches
    etc

If you like to move... turn up the music and dance!

I agree. Look at a book called convict conditioning. I found it a fun read and good info on bodyweight (Free) exercises!