Cheese.

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Denmark's Finest Havarti with Herbs and Spices. Oh yes. I'm in love with that cheese.

After that, it's Cheez Whiz nacho cheese and no one can stop our love!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I possibly will take the prize for this one, lol... I am french and cheese has always been part of my diet. I have never given it up but I do weight my portions. I love variety but my area does not have a whole lot. I am fortunate, though, because i travel to France on a regular basis to take care of my Dad, not only I indulge there in all kinds, I also bring back a lot.
    Because of my flying status, I am allowed 2 free suitcases every trip i take therefore one suitcase is dedicated to the food I love and cannot find in my part of the country. This last trip (less than a month ago) I brought 30lbs of assorted cheeses and another 15lbs or goodies. I do share the wealth with my kids and a couple of friends who are as addicted as I am. I am going back in February and will do the same. Most cheeses do travel quite well and freeze well so i am always stocked up. Cheese is good for you, like anything else, in moderation.

Did you ever see the I Love Lucy Episode where Lucy tries to smuggle the cheese on a plane, I think they were in Europe and possibly France.....but anyways she wraps it up like an infant and that's the first thing I thought of when I read your response. :smile:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    measure it out.

use it daily.

It has not made us overweight yet (we are both healthy weights and daily cheese eaters)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Also, I seriously doubt it's the "main reason you gained 40 pounds"

That would be eating more calories per day than maintenance calories.

Don't bully up on poor cheese
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every single day. It works into my macros and calories, and I love it. No reason to give it up! A food scale is definitely your friend though. 1 ounce of cheese looks way different depending of type.

PS: if you're looking for a way to reduce cals but still get a cheese sauce, you can make a low-fat bechamel. It's my secret weapon.
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I live in upstate NY and last Fall I went on a motorcycle Cheese Tour! We toured several farms in the region that make cheese - goat cheese, cow cheese and sheep cheese. They had samples you could taste, and then chunks you could buy. I discoverd that I really don't like goat cheese, but I really like sheep cheese.

The one we went on is the Washington County Cheese Tour - we only went to a handful of the farms. It was a 100-mile ride through the country on a gorgeous fall day and really good cheese
    http://www.washingtoncountycheese.com/tour.html

WOW a day of riding and great local cheeses, sounds like heaven to me
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I eat cheese every single day. It works into my macros and calories, and I love it. No reason to give it up! A food scale is definitely your friend though. 1 ounce of cheese looks way different depending of type.

PS: if you're looking for a way to reduce cals but still get a cheese sauce, you can make a low-fat bechamel. It's my secret weapon.

THIS
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my second favorite food - behind pasta - and I can't live without it! I eat both of them daily, and as long as they fit in my calories, I have had no problem losing or maintaining while eating them. Enjoy your cheese - just make sure you measure it - I weigh it each time to make sure. :drinker:
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In reply to the following quote
    (You are correct the cheese made you gain the weight since it's dairy, which adults should avoid for health reasons)
    [/quote]

NOTHING in essence makes you gain weight, it is the amount you ingest. Some people might have food allergies or intolerance which in turn might influence your weight but that type of gain is temporarily. I do not tolerate for some reason, white flour in pasta, it makes me swell and retain water. I do indulge on occasion and deal with the couple of lbs that show up on the scale the next day or so. It usually is gone within 3 to 4 days. I eat everything and drink wine regularly, I have lost more than 60lbs without giving up ANYTHING. I am not on a diet, never was since I started this journey, I have a new regimen for the rest of my life and it is a d...n good one
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Luckily I've never spoiled myself on much good real cheese, so the light cheese sticks and spreads satisfy me. I love laughing cow light wedges, light cheese sticks, and baby bel lights; all of which are <50 calories a serving.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    YESSSS! I love cheese. My FAVORITE is muenster especially when it's heated and gooey.... but I also really love brie, fresh mozzarella rocquellette, gouda, extra-sharp chedder, gorgonzola, assiago, feta,Parmesan, and whatever that syrian cheese is that they use for kneffe. oh, and cream cheese, labane, ricotta and cottage cheese too! .... I don't love swiss or american cheese though and I'm not a fan of bleu cheese.. how I love gorzonzola and don't like bleu cheese is a mystery.

I find that cheese is REALLY hard to resist. putting it only on top of things rather than mixing in helps. also using the most flavorful cheeses helps too since you get a big bite of flavor with just a little bite of cheese. ... but yeah, I literally sometimes want to pick up a half pound bar of cheese and just chomp it down like a candy bar. I don't keep it in the house.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    so it seems I have found cheese-fiends anonymous! thank goodness

do the wine-o's meet here also?
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Buy the really expensive kind, not the huge blocks of cheddar you can get for five bucks.

When a pound of cheese is $20+, you'll learn to enjoy and savor.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Love it. Seriously. LOVE. IT.

My favourite cheeses are creamy white ones like monterey jack and havarti.

I try to weigh my servings and pair them with fruit like apples to help fill me up (so I won't fill up on heavy cheese).

Cheese, fruit, and crackers is my favourite meal.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I find if I go for the stronger cheeses like gorgonzola or Stilton I don't eat as much as I would if I had say cheddar, mozzarella or pepper jack.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There have been many nights where half a grilled cheese sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread and a cup of hot yummy tomato soup has been the balm on my soul.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I possibly will take the prize for this one, lol... I am french and cheese has always been part of my diet. I have never given it up but I do weight my portions. I love variety but my area does not have a whole lot. I am fortunate, though, because i travel to France on a regular basis to take care of my Dad, not only I indulge there in all kinds, I also bring back a lot.
    Because of my flying status, I am allowed 2 free suitcases every trip i take therefore one suitcase is dedicated to the food I love and cannot find in my part of the country. This last trip (less than a month ago) I brought 30lbs of assorted cheeses and another 15lbs or goodies. I do share the wealth with my kids and a couple of friends who are as addicted as I am. I am going back in February and will do the same. Most cheeses do travel quite well and freeze well so i am always stocked up. Cheese is good for you, like anything else, in moderation.

Did you ever see the I Love Lucy Episode where Lucy tries to smuggle the cheese on a plain, I think they were in Europe and possibly France.....but anyways she wraps it up like an infant and that's the first thing I thought of when I read your response. :smile:

You had me laughing, yes I remember,I had forgotten it. Fortunately I do not have to smuggle, it is still legal to transport it
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    so it seems I have found cheese-fiends anonymous! thank goodness

do the wine-o's meet here also?

YES thats a great idea. Cheese lovers and winos! Im both :) Oh...and I HAVE eaten a whole block of cheese :noway: Gave it up though since dieting...but never my wine!
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I always liked cheese, it was the one thing that really made it hard for me when I was eating vegan, but I never really ate a whole lot of it. Then I got a job as a cheese monger. And you can probably assume how it went from there haha, especially because during market season when we get $10 worth of free cheese when we work and 50% off past that! But yes a food scale would be my suggestion if you are worried about how much you are eating.

Also, if you are looking for cheese suggestions, my favorite is Sartori's raspberry bellavitano. It tastes like a parm but is soaked in a raspberry ale so it's a little fruity, it's very good over spinach drizzled with straight balsamic vinegar. And I just found out that they also make a merlot bellavitano, which is just as tasty ;)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Love it! Weigh it!

It's the only way.

I won't eat "lite" cheeses - I'd rather eat less of the good stuff.

And I've recently discovered that I can fit in 2 oatcakes and 25g or so of cheese as a snack fairly easily a few days a week; I like strong flavours, blue cheese, smoked cheese, aged cheese, goat's cheese. These little bits seem to satisfy the cheese craving.

I use gruyere and parmesan quite a bit in cooking, as I find a little adds a lot of flavour. Yes it's saturated fat... but it's also protein and calcium, so within reason I think that's OK. I mix breadcrumbs with grated cheese for a gratin topping, and instead of bechamel I mix reduced fat creme fraiche and reduced fat cream cheese with herbs and pepper to make the sauce, and just top with a sprinkling of grated cheese. This makes dishes like lasagne and moussaka do-able within calorie goal.

Damn, it, going to have to go find the cheese in the fridge now!