Protein Powder

Options
2»

Replies

• Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's a great experiment run by some people from Reddit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

It compares the actual protein content of different powders to the content they advertise. The higher the measured/claimed value (column M), the more accurate the advertised protein amount.

Pick one that's .75 or higher, is in your price range, and tastes okay to you.

Wow, GREAT information!!! Helps so much, Thanks!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have used many different protein powders. I like Pure Protein which can be bought at Wal Mart and Target stores. I also like Muscle Milk and EAS as well. I have never had one where I thought it tasted nasty. I have read that Optimum Nutrition is also a decent brand and may try that sometime as well.

I try to find and use Protein Powders that are lower in sodium and cholesterol.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have been interested in adding protein powder to my diet and know nothing about protein powder. After looking around in stores, seeing that most of them are flavored by artificial sugars, I decided to do some research on the internet. I found a protein powder sweetened with stevia. Are any of you familiar with Jay Robb whey protein. It has no carbs, and one 30g scoop has 110 calories with 26g of protein. It is also hormone free.

Has anyone ever tried this brand, and if so, how did it taste and perform?
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the MRM Veggie Protein powder.

Sometimes I even make shakes with it and peanut butter, powdered or not.

It is a good way to get some protein filled calories when needed but can't cook a whole meal or don't feel ultra hungry.

Avoid any protein powders with artificial sugars.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    They are not all the same. Whey, soy and casein all are absorbed at different rates during digestion. Whey being the fastest, then soy, followed by casein. Also keep in mind your muscles don't recover in 30 minutes. So if you really want to see any benefit from them, add them to your daily intake, not just on lifting days.

My favorites are GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in chocolate and MusclePharm Combat (which is a blended protein) in chocolate-peanut butter.
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use Jay Robb's protein powder. Low sugar, low carbs, whey protein from cows not treated with hormones etc. I mix it with a cup of almond milk and sometimes some organic peanut butter right after a workout. Little on the pricey side though.
  • Dom4less
    Dom4less Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am new to taking protein, so I appriciate any help that I can gte :smile: The protein that I have only has 5 g of protein, 0 g carbs and 20 calorie per 6 g servings which is way below what you suggested. Should I change for something better?
  • Smrhoads
    Smrhoads Posts: 31
    Options
    I love Jay Robb's. He doesn't put any crap in his powder. Made with stevia, too. I think it is the healthiest option!
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I'd personally go with Vega Sport before any of Jay Robb's stuff if you are looking for something without any additives. I can't say I've used any of his, but I have used Vega Sport before and it is a good product.
  • primalperson1
    primalperson1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like Amazing Grass Protein Powder in Vanilla Chai and Chocolate. Really good! They have a little bit of Stevia.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dom4less, you can increase your intake, 30g is the common in all labels.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Here's a great experiment run by some people from Reddit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

It compares the actual protein content of different powders to the content they advertise. The higher the measured/claimed value (column M), the more accurate the advertised protein amount.

Pick one that's .75 or higher, is in your price range, and tastes okay to you.

Hmm...That is very interesting. I wouldn't put too much stock in this comparison. Your body is designed to obtain protein from whole food sources (meat, cheese, eggs, plants, etc.). It does not necessarily need to be readily available or soluble. Solubility does not necessarily make it a "better" protein powder.

I cannot eat whey (I'm vegan) and soy protein tears me up! I stick to other plant proteins like hemp, rice, chia, pea, and mixtures. Vitacost.com has a ton of options at affordable prices.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian's Whey powder right out of walmart. I always wondered if that would that do the trick or if it was too commercial to be using.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I use Designer Whey because its gluten free. Many are not, and celiacs have to be ultracareful.
  • go3gurl2go1
    Options
    Bump
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm using Trutein cinnabun flavor right now. It tastes amazing, and has a great profile.

I love it for filling in gaps in my diary. I'm not great at getting in protein, so it's really helpful.