Iphone 4s vs Iphone 5..

Options
I currently have a blackberry curve 8520, it does nothing but freeze on me, i dot recieve texts off alot of people, and when someone rings me, my phone decides to decline the call, even before i pick the thing up!!! Its time for a new phone! After christmas and new year, i will using my christmas money towards a new phone, i want an iPhone! Theres a big difference in price between the 4s and the 5, but is there much of a differnce in the phone itself? They seem pretty much the same to me =/

Not quite sure which one to get, anyone who owns a 4s or 5 could you let me know if there any good and if you know the difference between them pleaseeee :smile:

I have the iPad 2 which i brought a few months ago, i absolutley love it!!! But i just need a new phone!!!

Replies

• shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't have either, but the guys I work with say that the iPhone 5 is really bad for battery life....around 24 hours with light use, two of them have regretted upgrading from the 4 to 5. Hubby has an iPhone 4 for work but prefers his personal samsung galaxy s2.....
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As an IT geek, I would steer clear of the iphone. Battery life is terrible! I used one for a month before I sent it back. I fail to understand why anyone wants one of these things. It USED to be because Apple had all the apps but that is no longer the case as Google Play is brilliant now. If you want my recommendation, go with an Android phone. HTC or Samsung are both good. If I had to choose between the two I would always choose HTC over Samsung.

Look at it in another way... HTC have always been a telecommunications company. What they do is MAKE phones! Apple and Samsung have their fingers in too many pies to focus on the technology.

I guess there is the cool factor with Apple... but I dont think it's cool that people are essentially buying what was supposed to be a mini tablet that had a phone interface stuck on it.

Phone companies make phones... Apple makes errrrmmm... computers?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone 4S and I love it. I have the first generation iPad and I see the iPhone as an extension of that. I haven't had any issues with the battery life but that's because I make sure I delete the apps that I have been using so that my phone no longer thinks they're running and therefore depletes the battery. I want to say that I have had my phone on for 12+ hours and by the end of the day, yeah the battery was going dead but the same thing happened with my Blackberry.

For me it wasn't the "cool factor" because frankly I don't exactly give a rats hairy butt what makes me look cool and what doesn't or what other people have. I bought it because of my iPad and because I develop apps for the iPhone, Droid and Windows based phones and when I started doing this Apple was the only platform that the apps were being developed on so it made sense for me to have the iPhone.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic of the iPhone 4s and the 5

I have the 5, but I upgraded from the 4. The 5 is 100 times better than the 4. So, there's that. The 4s and the 5 are different in size, and the 5 has more processing power. I think all the functionality of the iOS 6 can be accessed on both. The battery life of the 5 is markedly better than with my 4. Again, I'm not sure what the 4s did in terms of battery, but i didn't ever have any real battery problems with the iPhone 4 either.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have the iphone 4 (just 4, not 4S) and hubby has 5. If I were getting a new phone anyway, I might go ahead and get the 5. But I think I'll wait to upgrade. I like Siri and the 3D maps, but I think my camera takes better quality pictures and videos. And I use my camera a lot.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ANDROID!!!!! that is all carry on!..........................
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    The 5 is a better phone however, it comes with a price.

For me, I just can't see spending the extra money for the 5.
    I have a 4S and I like it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Between the 4S and the 5 there are only 2 differences - the hardware (the 5 IS nicer that way) and 1 function where when taking a video with the 5 you can pull an individual photo out of the video.

Otherwise the actual functions are all the same. The 5 is faster, but as mentioned, the battery is not great.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have the 5 and am madly in love with it but I never had the 4. I was trying to decide between getting my boyfriend the 4S or the 5 for Christmas and I talked to the guy at Best Buy about it and he said the major difference is the 4S runs on 3G and the 5 runs on 4G LTE. Basically it means the 4G LTE is a lot faster.

This website explains it well:
    http://youreguide.vzw.com/a2/what-is-3g-what-is-4g-lte-difference/

The 4S is cheaper, but if you want the newest and fastest, I'd say go with the 5. I ended up buying the 5 for my boyfriend too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you'll be new to iPhones then the 4 will be fine.

I have a 4, husband (and self confessed apple fan-boi) has the 5. I can't see the advantages that he sees in it.

So start with the 4. Get used to the Apple way of doing things. Then decide if you feel like upgrading.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I guess there is the cool factor with Apple... but I dont think it's cool that people are essentially buying what was supposed to be a mini tablet that had a phone interface stuck on it.

that's kind of exactly what I want in a phone...
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old says this in an advertising voice..... "The Iphone5, for people that have more money than sense!"

We have the 4s's, they work perfectly fine and are good enough for us.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have the iPhone 4 and my wife has the 5. the 5 is a little faster, thinner, and taller. however, I run a music streaming service from my home, and have no issues on my iPhone 4. She seems to have issues when not connected to wifi with the streaming. doesn't matter if she has the LTE turned on or off. I have read on a few forums that this seems to be continual issue with the 5 series. so I would recommend the 4 for now.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone5, Samsung SIII and a HTC WIndows 8X.

Go Samsung SIII if you are not tight to iPhone for a particular reasons. If you are tied to iPhone then go the latest because I am guessing the being-cool factor is most important to you.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i am happy with the 4S but really wish it had 4G.

if i was buying a new phone, i would absolutely go with the 5. it's much lighter too.
    downfall is new chargers, etc. but if you aren't coming from other apple products, then i don't see that as an issue.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a 4S and a droid. The 4S lacks in happiness, but makes it up by making me work harder.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The 4S is very good phone. The 5 is incrementally better in virtually every respect. But only incrementally.

If I had a 4S I would not bother to upgrade to 5, I would probably wait for the inevitable 5S.

Battery life on my 5 is about the same as the 4, I can get through a day.

Compared to a blackberry, the battery life is horrible though....
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I upgraded me 4...to the 4s. instead of the 5. the guy at verizon even told me to get the 4s...as mentioned before theres not many difference. it is faster but my 4s works just fine and only paid 99 instead of 200.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Upgraded my 4 to a 5. Only incrementally better. Slightly slimmer, slightly faster, slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera). I do like Siri (not available on the 4 but is on the 4s).

Going from cell phone to iPhone 4 was amazing. To the 5 was a letdown. What was amazing was the upgrade process. When it was done everything was transferred down to the currently loaded websites in the browser.

If I had a 4s I would not upgrade, but if I was buying one for the first time, I'd definitely go with the 5.

Can't comment on Android phones.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Compared to the Blackberry Curve 8520, either one will feel light years faster.

I did tech support for Apple when the 5 was released. The 5 is faster, and of course moving forward the 5 will probably be usable for longer. Right now the iPhone 3 can't be updated to the most recent operating system which means that suddenly a lot of apps don't work anymore on it or can't be updated. The 3gs can still be updated, but the 3 is obsolete. If you keep your phone for a long time without updating, than the 5 may be a better choice as it will probably be supported for updates as long as you own it.

Despite having worked in tech support, I recently upgrade from that exact Blackberry to a Kyocera Rise prepaid. Does everything I need it to do on Android 4.0 and I pay $35 a month for unlimited data (granted, throttled) and 300 minutes of talk which is more than I use. It's a prepaid, so I can dump it whenever I want and I bought the phone for $19 during a black friday sale on Amazon.

If you've got disposable income you want to dispose of, than either iPhone will do it. If you just want something to use that doesn't freeze up, well, there's much cheaper options out there.. lol