Natural Deodorants

Options
DollyMiel
DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
Probably an odd topic, but I need recommendations on deodorants that do not contain aluminum.

I currently use Ban because it's strong enough for my level of sweating, which most other mainstream brands cannot contain, but I notice lately that I get really painful pimples under my arms, and something even more worrying: when I didn't put any on while I was around the house (airing things out, so to speak), my sweat smelled like metal.

Let me repeat that: my sweat smells like metal. D8

So yeah, I'm looking to either make a temporary or even permanent switch, and I'm looking for any help on alternatives that are comparable in price to what I use now (Around $3-4, usually.) Suggestions? :\

Edited to add: I don't even care if it's not great at being an antiperspirant, even though that would be great. Sweating like a pig is better than smelling weird and having something creepy going on in my pits. D:

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mix baking soda with coconut oil works like charm.
  • DollyMiel
    Options
    I think that'll be an easy one to give a go, thanks!

Any more suggestions?
  • nikkijade13
    nikkijade13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try checking out a brand called Tom's of Maine. Their deodorants(and all if their products) are all natural and aluminum free
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have not liked Tom's of Maine for efficacy problems. But I only tried one stick, so they may have improved it.

Many natural deodorants use crystal rock. That works really well for most.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Cat Urine. It will totally mask the BO smell.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Go to the doc and see if they'll give you botox injections fo' yo' pits, yo.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i get my vegan deo from some hippie shop on www.etsy.com. just look around and see what you like. Ive used Toma of Maine before and it didnt really do much
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump to respond later.

I use a natural deodorant because I have very sensitive skin. I just cannot remember the name or anything right now. What I do use is very good!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I also sweat a lot. Secret Clinical Strength worked okay but I got a sample of Tom's natural deodorant in the mail and thought I would give it a try. I didn't have high expectations for a natural deodorant, but it actually worked VERY well and I swear by them now.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they do this in the US, but in the UK we have mitchems which I've always found to be brilliant - provides 48 hour protection.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Arrowroot powder; it's a natural, powerful antiperspirant.

Off the shelf stuff contains aluminum and a not-insignificant number of folks have issues with it.
    (And you are a gorgeous fiend!)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I've read that Milk of Magnesia works well. I'm curious if anyone here has tried that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've read that Milk of Magnesia works well. I'm curious if anyone here has tried that.

Milk was a bad choice
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Toms of Main is my suggestion. I really liked one that Adidas made but I can't find it anymore.
  • nikkijade13
    nikkijade13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Milk was a bad choice

Pulling an Anchor Man moment? Lol
  • DollyMiel
    Options
    I'll check out Tom's since it's come up a lot. I've heard mixed stuff about it, but it can't hurt to try.

Does that crystal stuff actually work? My stepsister said she bought the actual chunk of it and I could try finding some of that, but I'm not sure how you even apply that. hahaha
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Crystal stuff does work. There is a spray brand called "Crystal Rock" on sale at drugstore.com. I like Cobalt Sky.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'll check out Tom's since it's come up a lot. I've heard mixed stuff about it, but it can't hurt to try.

Does that crystal stuff actually work? My stepsister said she bought the actual chunk of it and I could try finding some of that, but I'm not sure how you even apply that. hahaha

Crystal type is hit or miss. Works bad for some in my family, great for others. They make it in a spray I like that one best..
  • JG1088
    JG1088 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

It's awesome, your armpits need to be wet so either post shower or just splash some water on then apply. It works really well. My brand is crystalux.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Try checking out a brand called Tom's of Maine. Their deodorants(and all if their products) are all natural and aluminum free

I have used Tom's for about 5 years.

It WILL take your body a bit to adjust... do your homework. Find one that you like the smell of, and go with it. If that one doesn't mesh with your body chemistry try another scent.

Good luck in your transition! :)