I'm new and need serious help!

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Steph and I'm 24. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 children ages 2,4 and 6. I've decided that it's time to drop this "baby weight". Currently, I weigh 178 and am 5'0. Obviously, I need some serious help. I don't really even know where to start with this...any tips and pointers would be great. I've been reading so many success stories. Ultimately, I would love to be back down to 117-120.

Replies

• RhondaCrombie
    Options
    Good luck! Support really is key for this journey. Hope all goes well for you!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Hey! While I don't have baby weight to lose, I do have college weight to lose. I'm 186 and 5'-5" and my goal is 135. I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred today. You should try it! It's only 20 minutes everyday which is easy to fit in and she really kicks your butt! Look for the topics on the shred for further support. It's fantastic! :)
  • hboughey
    hboughey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! Good luck!
  • LinaBrynn
    Options
    Hi Steph, I'm just starting, too, but I think the best way to start is to just eat the kind of things you normally eat, but start logging them on here and try to stay within your calories. If you try to be too perfect and make too many changes at once, you're setting yourself up for failure (in my personal experiece, which is why I weigh so much now!). Once you (we) get used to just logging the calories, you can gradually start trying to eat more fruits and vegies, start exercising a little, etc.

Good luck to us both!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Start with drinking half your body weight in ounces, daily (87-90 oz for you), and making better food choices. Choose chewing gum over giving in to cravings, and fresh fruit & veggies instead of crunchy chips or pretzels. Remember: small changes make BIG differences!
    Good luck :)
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Steph, I'm just starting, too, but I think the best way to start is to just eat the kind of things you normally eat, but start logging them on here and try to stay within your calories. If you try to be too perfect and make too many changes at once, you're setting yourself up for failure (in my personal experiece, which is why I weigh so much now!). Once you (we) get used to just logging the calories, you can gradually start trying to eat more fruits and vegies, start exercising a little, etc.

Good luck to us both!

I agree with LinaBrynn, start using the FOOD tab on myfitnesspal. It'll make you aware of how many calories you need to take in and how many calories you actually are taking in. Pretty soon you'll see foods (and beverages) you can cut that'll help you reduce your daily calorie intake & start to lose weight.

Then you can add in EXERCISE! I love doing Zumba so much, I became an instructor. My friends (and my friends' kids) love it too. Check it out!

Welcome & good luck!
  • shanna618
    shanna618 Posts: 21
    Options
    Welcome Steph! Joining MFP is a great first step. I actually found it by accident about 2 weeks ago and it's great. The food diary helps a lot... as long as you're honest with yourself and log in everything you eat. There is tons of great advice on here. Stay positive and know there are so many people just a keyboard away to cheer you on!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Steph!! You've definitely come to the right place for support and motivation. I love this site! You will want to start out by entering your goals into the database and then start tracking your calories. Keep coming here and checking in daily! We're here to help you reach your goals.

To your success!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I agree with what several posters have said regarding throwing yourself into "diet shock." However, a few things you should endeavor to work towards:

1. Get a copy of the food pyramid and start trying to eat toward the food pyramid. Remember to adjust the food pyramid for your caloric intake (i.e. if you are eating a 1500 calorie diet, adjust by 75% of the suggested servings).
    2. Definitely do as mentioned and drink water, drink water, drink water. Dehydration is as serious a health epidemic as is obesity. How do you know if you are dehydrated/underhydrated? In general, your pee is yellow. The yellower it is, the more dehydrated you are. (note: there are exceptions to this, but only a doctor could tell you if you are an exception)
    3. Work towards eliminating the processed foods from your diet. Begin watching for saturated fats, transfats, hydrogenated fats, sodium, and cholesterol.
    4. In the spirit of Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef): learn to cook, using fresh ingredients.
    5. Begin an exercise regimen. There is one exercise regimen that is free, low impact, and effective: walking.
    6. Begin a new lifestyle rather than a diet. Learn to be fit rather than lose weight.
    7. Read, learn and interact with the community here. They have your interest and success in their hearts and minds.

This will be the greatest gift you could ever give your children, and yourself.
  • skuchenberg
    Options
    I agree with what several posters have said regarding throwing yourself into "diet shock." However, a few things you should endeavor to work towards:

1. Get a copy of the food pyramid and start trying to eat toward the food pyramid. Remember to adjust the food pyramid for your caloric intake (i.e. if you are eating a 1500 calorie diet, adjust by 75% of the suggested servings).
    2. Definitely do as mentioned and drink water, drink water, drink water. Dehydration is as serious a health epidemic as is obesity. How do you know if you are dehydrated/underhydrated? In general, your pee is yellow. The yellower it is, the more dehydrated you are. (note: there are exceptions to this, but only a doctor could tell you if you are an exception)
    3. Work towards eliminating the processed foods from your diet. Begin watching for saturated fats, transfats, hydrogenated fats, sodium, and cholesterol.
    4. In the spirit of Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef): learn to cook, using fresh ingredients.
    5. Begin an exercise regimen. There is one exercise regimen that is free, low impact, and effective: walking.
    6. Begin a new lifestyle rather than a diet. Learn to be fit rather than lose weight.
    7. Read, learn and interact with the community here. They have your interest and success in their hearts and minds.

This will be the greatest gift you could ever give your children, and yourself.

Thank you for posting this. And to everyone..thank you so much for your kind words!