1,200 calorie limit... but I went over!

Options
I only go out once a month with friends. All month I'm good but even when I'm out once a month with buddies, I try to eat healthy. When I came home after dinner and logged all my food, I found that I went like.... 800 calories over my limit... and I'm totally ashamed! Is that going to make me gain any weight? Is it going to wreck all the hard work I've done? Sometimes when I step on the scale after eating, it's like 10 pounds over what I am in the morning... is that normal? Please help!!

Replies

• xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well you need to consume 3,600 calories over what you maintenance weight is to gain a pound. So I would say 800 calories one day, while you're operating on a deficit, is in no way diet ruining. Especially if it's only at once a month. Eat better tomorrow, and continue on your usual way. If you need to stay at the gym a few minutes longer each day for peace of mind.

Also, yes, that's 100% normal. The scale will surely fluctuate through the day and for most people is a lot more at night. Usually I'm 5-8 pounds heavier at night! Don't worry about that.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You must be new to this diet/exercise thing. Relax. DON'T weigh yourself right after you eat. Some would say one time per week or less, I weigh one time per day but only log or "count" one day per week. One higher calorie day will not undo your hard work. You probably needed more calories. MFP sets the allowance way too low anyway, for most people anyway. 1200 is a standard recommendation on MFP but not realistic. Go to a site like fat2fitradio.com or freedieting.com or fitnessfrog.com. Put in your info and check out what they recommend for you. It is much better for you.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your food baby.
  • smhaze77
    smhaze77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That type of gain is usually just water weight from too much sodium, sugar, etc. Its good to change up your calorie intake once and awhile, also its actually good for you to occasionally go over your goal by that much and have cheat days once and awhile. 1. It helps with your metabolism and 2. It helps you from feeling like you're depriving yourself. Let go of the guilt, and except that you deserve to treat yourself now and again. One or two days once a month will not undo your hard work, just don't let it be an everyday thing.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    chill out and step away from the scales..... youll be fine
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    "Congratulations on your food baby. "

Congratulations on having a rude tone like every other ignoramus that I live near :)

I actually didn't eat that much, but restaurant food has a lot of calories ;)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are going to gain ten pounds of fat, like, right now.

I would wear some stretchy pants to bed, just in case you can't get out of them in the morning.

ETA: Clearly being sarcastic, here. You are going to be fine.
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't know a lot about this stuff..... just needed some answers to things that I was uninformed about. Thanks again! :)
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options

I would wear some stretchy pants to bed, just in case you can't get out of them in the morning.

Listen, just because I'm uninformed doesn't mean you have to be ignorant. Do you need to wear stretchy pants to bed? I'm sure you'd have to, to fit that huge ego of yours. Bug off. I don't need flack from people like you.

EDIT: Sorry, if you were being sarcastic. I can't tell. Grew up in a serious family. MY BAD! Sorry!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Listen, just because I'm uninformed doesn't mean you have to be ignorant. Do you need to wear stretchy pants to bed? I'm sure you'd have to, to fit that huge ego of yours. Bug off. I don't need flack from people like you.

"People like me"? As in, people that have the answers that you are looking for? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Silly little girl.
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options

"People like me"? As in, people that have the answers that you are looking for? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Silly little girl.

-Shrug- I didn't know you were being sarcastic. don't take it out on me. I grew up in a serious family. I can't tell tone over the internet. Kudos to those who can.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you will be ok..i think 800 calories most likely put you at maintenance! 1200 is pretty low..just continue on course tomorrow and watch your sodium..i myself wouldnt weigh for a few days.

you might want to up your calories a few hundred...but thats a whole nother conversation:flowerforyou:
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    you will be ok..i think 800 calories most likely put you at maintenance! 1200 is pretty low..just continue on course tomorrow and watch your sodium..i myself wouldnt weigh for a few days.

you might want to up your calories a few hundred...but thats a whole nother conversation:flowerforyou:

Oh okay, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks dear! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I bet at 2K she's still under her TDEE for losing (depending on her stats and activity level).
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don,t worry about it. Your going to make mistakes in your diet whether you know it or not. What is most important is that you are learning from your mistakes which will help you with your fitness goals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I bet at 2K she's still under her TDEE for losing (depending on her stats and activity level).
    Exactly what I was thinking...it probably helped rather than hurt.
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    Very true, never looked at it that way. I try to log everything I eat, but sometimes when things aren't listed on here, I get the package and go 20 calories higher than it actually is. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but yeah, been trying :)
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking...it probably helped rather than hurt.

If it helped that'd be awesome! :D
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. Not sure about everyone else, but the times when I go over my calories I try to work out a little bit harder to not feel so guilty about it - that's just me. And enjoying a night out with friends every now and then without feeling guilty about it is ok.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    FYI: 1200 calories, in your case, is the minimum amount MFP will give, not your recommended maximum.