Advice for starting at the gym?

Options
Hi guys. I've never really gone to the gym. I have done a lot of at home DVDs but I will be studying abroad next term in quite a large city so I will have access to tons of gyms. I was thinking of joining one but I'm not sure how to start. Maybe personal training?
I love yoga and pilates so I will continue with that and I also love belly dance and fun jumpy dance classes (like zumba) but I was thinking about doing a bit more cardio & strength (for shaping).

Any ideas? I'm so intimidated by gyms...lol...

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Which city will you be in? Most gyms will give an introductory session, can help set up up with a work programme, and could well have available classes in the activities you like. So ask around and see what they all have to offer!

Don't be intimidated - they want your custom :wink:
  • warrior63
    Options
    Hey there,
    I have spent a lot of time in gyms. If you are just starting out in a gym, I would suggest doing a little gym touring. Look for a gym that suits you. Yoga, Pilates, and Zumba are pretty popular at fitness centers/gyms these days. If you are looking for some fun, you could even look for a gym that offers Les Mills programs. It depends mainly on your goals. I wish I could be more help!!
    Happy hunting!!
  • warrior63
    Options
    Which city will you be in? Most gyms will give an introductory session, can help set up up with a work programme, and could well have available classes in the activities you like. So ask around and see what they all have to offer!

Don't be intimidated - they want your custom :wink:
    Totally agree!!
  • Hayley3383
    Options
    If you can afford a personal trainer then by all means go for it !! But if you're like me and thats a bit outside the budget maybe look at group training. You get the benefit of a trainer with small groups (usually 4-6 other people). Thats also a great way to meet new people and its more cost effective. If the membership is really all you can afford then start with cardio machines. Get used to your new gym, get to know your way away. Once you feel like your ready to try the weight machines ask the staff to show you how to use them properly. You can then get online and start researching some weight routines that fit into what it is you want for yourself. I hope this helps...
  • do the gym classes, and talk to your gym about a free training session to over how the weight machines and cardio ones work.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Gyms are nothing to be intimated by, we were all new to one at one time or another. The best thing to do is to probalby do some online research and see which ones seems like they fit your needs and then go talk to them. Often gyms will give you a tour and possibly free day passes or maybe a week to try it out to see if you like it. Make sure that you go at the time of day you plan on going to see how the crowds are, how the instructors for the classes you like are, etc. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions because they have probably been asked that same question a hundred times before. Lastly, once you do settle on a gym (if you do find one you like) I suggest spending the extra money on a personal trainer to get you acquainted with the equipment, assess your goals, and come up with a plan that suits you. Good luck.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do the tour. Also, if you see someone doing something that looks to be in your range just ask them. I find it cool when someone asks me how to use a machine or do an exercise. A trainer will give you a list of good beginning exercises ... but so will most fitness magazines. Whatever style works best for you and your personality.
  • Beaivi
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will be in London, so yeah lots of gyms to choose from. :) I think I'll just spring for a trainer so that I know what I'm doing...and I have to just work on not caring what people think..... don't know why gyms scare me so much. I'm not even super unfit or anything it just is unfamiliar territory I guess.