Running on treadmill vs outside

Options
Hi guys I am training to do a 10k race next year. I can barely run a mile at the moment so it will be a big challenge/ hopefully achievement for me. :)

At the moment due to it getting dark so quick I am doing the C25K programme on a treadmill however I know it is a lot easier to run on a treadmill compared to outside.

I just wondered if any of you have tested it for example what is the longest you can run on a treadmill compared to outside?

Thank you so much

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I can actually go longer on a treadmill typically because it's flat. When I was in a similar situation I would adjust the incline on the treadmill to between 1% and 2% to better account for the feel of being on the road. It really helped when it came time for the race. Good luck!
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you I may have to do this :)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think its good to go outside for running. I hate running but i do it anyway :) and i find i push myself when im outside because if i want to stop i do have to somehow get back home verses the treadmill i can just hop off. I also think breathing outside is much different.. and of course hills :)
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    if you want to run on the tread mill but have it be more like outside keep the elevation at like 2 or 3. Most treadmills 0 or "flat" is more like running down hill.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think its good to go outside for running. I hate running but i do it anyway :) and i find i push myself when im outside because if i want to stop i do have to somehow get back home verses the treadmill i can just hop off. I also think breathing outside is much different.. and of course hills :)

Yes! Breathing outside is a lot different! Especially now when it's cold. My lungs are like frozen haha
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Raise the incline to 3 to 4 that will simulate the difference between road running and treadmill. Have fun on your 10k that is a nice distance to run. Makes for an enjoyable event.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think its easier to run outside... because when you're on the mill, you can abort your mission at any point. At least with running outdoors you know you have to run back. I will always choose outdoor running over tread mill any day. Rain, snow, wind,...maybe not hail...although it could be interesting to run my hood with my snowmobile helmet on. Hmm.... :)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It's A LOT easier to run on a treadmill. Outside you have to deal with uneven roads or trails, pace changes, hills, dogs, cars, windy conditions, intersections, etc......so there is a lot more you need to control rather than being insdie on a flat treadmill. But a treadmill is better than not running at all. :)
  • brianfmatthews
    brianfmatthews Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I run four or five races a year, and only train on a treadmill. I have been racing for 6 years now, and I always follow a training plan I build on runnersworld.com.

Even though I only run on the treadmill ( at 1% incline), my race time and pace per mile always matches the training plan. As long as you set the incline to 1 - 2 %, I think you will be fine. If it is really windy or hot / cold on race day, this will have an impact on your pace per mile. Same goes if the course is especially hilly.

I run 5 and 10 k races.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about distance.... but I do know that I run a faster pace on the road vs a treadmill. From what I understand, it's typically the other way around....

Good luck on your training! I'd definitely do a 5k first before a 10k, if you haven't done one yet.

I'm doing my first 5k trail run on Xmas Eve. EEK!!! :)
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hate running on treadmills. So boring I just want to stop after 2 miles. Don't know how people do the treadmill thing
  • leanneakaliz
    Options
    I watch eastenders on my tab while running lmao :P
    Yeah I do love running outside and did begin the c25k programme outside its just the darkness thing dont really want to be running through a foresty area on my own in the dark :S My boyfriend is going to start training with me after xmas though :)
    I really appreciate your help and support guys :) Thank you

I plan to run a 5k first :) more as a halfway / training point but the 10k is my real achievement :)
    For those of you that say you can just hop off a treadmill this is true but I find my motivation to improve keeps me on until the end :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Even if you mostly train on the treadmill; I highly recommend you get outside for some runs before your 10K...or you won't be ready. It doesn't matter if you do the inclines on the tm....it's not going to be the same. Most running sites do recommend incline on your tm b/c flat on the tm is like running downhill outside; I've seen 1-2% incline on the sites I've been on and in Runner's World magazine. But again....during the week you may not be able to run outside, but the weekend you should take advantage and go out and run somewhere...you'll need the "real world" experience.

Me, I run at lunch Tuesdays & Thursdays in my neighborhood (it's all hills). Wednesdays is my short run, so I run on the treadmill after work (since its too dark) and Sundays, I run somewhere...usually a trail; not always flat....the only flat trail I have to run is 50 minutes away, so we only go there maybe once a month. :frown: However, I've heard hills just make me stronger. :bigsmile:
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about distance.... but I do know that I run a faster pace on the road vs a treadmill. From what I understand, it's typically the other way around....

Me too. I find treadmill running more of a challenge.
  • leanneakaliz
    Options
    They do indeed :) Yeah I will start to run outside on weekends after xmas with my boyfriend and as soon as it starts getting lighter I will run in the afternoons outside when i get in from work :)

Thank you

Not looking at doing the 10k till april/may time :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, running on the treadmill and running outdoors are two completely different things.

I would recommend switching to outdoor running as soon as you can. It's going to make a lot of difference in your training.

Is there a reason you can't/won't run in the dark? They sell headlamps and reflective gear - I wear a hi-vis, reflective hat, an LED armband, have reflective strips on my iphone band, and I'm getting a hi-vis jacket for Christmas. I've found I actually prefer running in the dark - it's very peaceful and helps me clear my head. Of course, I live in a very small town and it's pretty safe.
  • leanneakaliz
    Options
    it is on the back of a industrial estate and there isnt much lighting at all. It doesnt bother me all that much but I have a protective brother and mum who do not want me running alone in the dark :P I need to find a neighbour with a dog or something lol :P
    Neither of them will offer to come with me though :P
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill with 1% incline is equivalent, well not equivalent but effort-wise more "true to" running outside (on flat ground). So if you get to where you can run with 2% incline you're definitely good to go for outside. Also I've noticed that with running on a treadmill the paces are sometimes faster (i.e., I can run outside with slight hills no problem under 6.5mph pace for a "normal, easy" run. On treadmill it's a little more difficult for me to run at a 6.5mph pace, I huff and puff a lot more!).

I see no problem with doing most of your training on the treadmill, but I would try to at least get outside and train in the elements once or twice per week; that way you're switching it up. There are advantages/disadvantages to running inside and outside.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I am not a big runner, but noticed a HUGE difference between outside and treadmill. Not only is there no terrain or elements involved, but a treadmill naturally propels you forward. If only the sidewalk moved like that belt.
    Just enjoy the treadmill, just enjoy the way your body feels moving. I fantasize that I am an olympic hopeful. Outside it's just grunt work.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I am training to do a 10k race next year. I can barely run a mile at the moment so it will be a big challenge/ hopefully achievement for me. :)

At the moment due to it getting dark so quick I am doing the C25K programme on a treadmill however I know it is a lot easier to run on a treadmill compared to outside.

I just wondered if any of you have tested it for example what is the longest you can run on a treadmill compared to outside?

Thank you so much

Any kind of running will be helpful to increase your stamina, but as you're training for a race, ultimately, you will want to spend more time running outdoors on terrain similar to that of the race. Many athletes train indoors on machines during inclement weather to keep up their conditioning, but it's not considered as good as doing the sport exercise.

I don't run races and run casually only in good weather. Cold weather running is very uncomfortable for me. Among other things, it makes my teeth ache.