Bisexuality

Options

Replies

• athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My cousin was in a similar situation. He finally came out to his family even though he was terrified they would disown him. He told them and they still love him the same. My sister is gay and she was afraid to tell my parents for the same reason and guess what they are happy that she is happy.

If you are scared to tell your parents for that reason that is okay. But eventually they will find out and they will be hurt that they didnt hear it from you first. Follow your heart and tell them when you are ready. But try to do it before they find out elsewhere.

Just because you like women doesnt mean you are not you. It wont change you right? You will always be you. Your family should be happy for who you are and that you are happy. Good luck to you.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Heterosexual people dont go around confessing they are heterosexual..

Well yeah. Because being heterosexual is the norm. o.O

Look, before acceptance can happen there needs to be acknowledgement. Black people look black, fat people look fat, etc.

Despite what many people see/believe gay and bisexual people do not look gay unless they go out of their way to embrace sterotypical behavior and dress. So people will tell you they are whatever because they want to be accepted for who they are. You may not think that's important but it is. People don't want to hide who they are from the world they want to be themselves.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm bisexual..
    It's something that I have struggled with accepting for years. I'm 20 years old now and I grew up in a very religious family. I know they won't understand. So even though I finally admitted it to myself five months ago, I haven't been able to tell anybody else. A couple really close friends know, but they haven't said anything and I trust them with with my life. But those are the only people I can tell. Right now it's dying to come out.
    I guess I don't really know how to deal with it. I would love to be able to date women. But..I know that right now, until I can get away from home, it's not a possibility.
    My family is really close minded. We have some family members (distant) who are bisexual and gay and they just refuse to understand it or don't get it period. Most of my family members just pretend it doesn't happen. My great aunt is gay and has been with her partner for over 25 years..and to this day they just say that they are friends or roommates. I'm sure it has to hurt them...
    I'm afraid that if someone finds out, no one is going to love me anymore.

I don't even know where I'm going with this... Does anyone have any advice?

Stay true to yourself and others. That's all that matters.
  • justal313
    Options

Have you seen the shyte bisexual people get from every turn. Gays look down on them because they "aren't really gay", straights either tell them "you aren't bisexual, you are confused" or think of them as being such sluts that they can't even limit themselves to trying to bang 1/2 the people, or just lump them in with "the gays"

Why on earth would anyone CHOOSE that? Bisexuals cannot help being bisexual anymore than I can help being straight

Amen!! So being straight is obviously fine, being gay, hell if it has to be, fine, but being bisexual is "curious" or "confused". That confuses me. Oh, hang on, maybe that means you're right! People fall in love. For some people, it doesn't matter what sex the person is they fall in love with. That doesn't mean they are confused. It means they love a person for who they are and not what they are. When I met my girlfriend, she blew me away (still does). Even though I had only had relationships with men until that point, I just knew she's the one. Haven't been curious about being/dating/sleeping with anyone else since :-)

It's funny though, my buddy Dave told me he was seeing someone and I asked him if the new guy played poker. He very casually said "I haven't asked her"

I paused and was dumbfounded but then finally said "TRAITOR!!!" then we laughed and laughed. He's married now, I'm not a huge fan of his husband because he won't give us this level of good natured ribbing or play rockband. We've tried and he just won't join in our reindeer games.
  • uidb5259
    uidb5259 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I understand you are in a very tough situation. If your family believes in the Bible, it will be difficult for them because there is no ambiguity on what God has planned for mankind in this area. There was Adam and Eve and multiple other examples of where it was made obvious that this was not in his plan.

However, having 2 daughters of my own, if one of them came to me and told me they were bi or gay, I would still love them. I would not agree with their lifestyle decision and I would pray for them daily to get back on the right path, but I would still love them none the less. That is also in the Bible....you are suppose to love the sinner but not the sin. We are not to judge others, so we will love regardless. If they truly believe, they should feel the same way. I wish you the best of luck and hope you stay a family through this. You must be close if telling them something like this concerns you and being a close family is a wonderful thing.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you have come to terms with this honey. I think people have left you some excellent advice. Try to build up your resources and networks. Look for LGBTQ resources in your area. If you are in school seek out "safe zone" educators to talk with. I want to leave a more resource-filled post for you but I'm on my way out. Hopefully I can come back to this thread later and elaborate. But anyway I just wanted to chime in and add my support.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've just come out to my family, after years of lying because I was scared. And then years more cause it just got so damn complicated.

Keep it to yourself until you are out of the house, then be honest. You don't have to be detailed, but take it from a 40 year old woman whose family is more upset about the lying then the fact I'm gay. Don't lie to them.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find it hard to believe that in 2012 people are still concerned about sexual orientation. Meaning, parents, family, and friends who ostracize gay or bisexual individuals. Its very sad that some parents disown their children over something so small.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Have you seen the shyte bisexual people get from every turn. Gays look down on them because they "aren't really gay", straights either tell them "you aren't bisexual, you are confused" or think of them as being such sluts that they can't even limit themselves to trying to bang 1/2 the people, or just lump them in with "the gays"

Why on earth would anyone CHOOSE that? Bisexuals cannot help being bisexual anymore than I can help being straight

Amen!! So being straight is obviously fine, being gay, hell if it has to be, fine, but being bisexual is "curious" or "confused". That confuses me. Oh, hang on, maybe that means you're right! People fall in love. For some people, it doesn't matter what sex the person is they fall in love with. That doesn't mean they are confused. It means they love a person for who they are and not what they are. When I met my girlfriend, she blew me away (still does). Even though I had only had relationships with men until that point, I just knew she's the one. Haven't been curious about being/dating/sleeping with anyone else since :-)

It's funny though, my buddy Dave told me he was seeing someone and I asked him if the new guy played poker. He very casually said "I haven't asked her"

I paused and was dumbfounded but then finally said "TRAITOR!!!" then we laughed and laughed. He's married now, I'm not a huge fan of his husband because he won't give us this level of good natured ribbing or play rockband. We've tried and he just won't join in our reindeer games.

No not trolling at all.

Not attacking you my friend, but would you say that your friend chose to date that girl?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

No not trolling at all.

Not attacking you my friend, but would you say that your friend chose to date that girl?

Choosing to date =/= Choosing the attraction.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked love wasn't a conditional thing

Agreed. But being bisexual instead of being straight 'gay', to me, would be more considered curiosity/promiscuity. Instead of telling your family who will judge you that you want to sleep with multiple people of different sexes, why not save something that big for the actual 'gay' presentation?

Edit: Saw you tried to say the "sleep" business was taken out of context. Still not sure how you think "But being bisexual instead of being straight 'gay', to me, would be more considered curiosity/promiscuity."

I have had plenty of gay friends, and even marched a few times too, but when it comes to bisexual - never really met anyone before.To me, someone who is bisexual is choosing to go back and forth between men and women to figure out what they want in life - so I would chart that as more curious. Forgive me for my ignorance if I am mistaken, but there are large debates on whether or not 'gay' is a choice or not, and being bi (varying men and women partners) to me is a choice.

So true. Fear and distrust from every quarter. Sexual preference is a totally different issue from sexual fidelity.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Ok.

So I don't consider myself bisexual because there's a lot of heaviness involved with the label. I've dated women. I prefer women. However currently I am in a long term relationship with a man. So for all intents and purposes, I'm straight. I have never once told someone I'm bisexual even though technically I guess that's what I am.

I don't see a need to "come out" as bisexual unless you end up in a same sex relationship. Society isn't entirely accepting of change and there's still HUGE issues with homosexuality and then you throw another wrench in there and bisexuality gets frowned on from both sides of the fence. I'm all for loving who you will, but I don't see a need to announce it. People don't walk around going "I'm straight" or "I'm gay" and no matter what your sexuality will be defined by who you're dating at the time.

So to the OP....just chill. It'll be ok. Date who you want but don't put this intense pressure on yourself to make up your mind. That's what being young is about. You can't help who you're attracted to and you should be with whoever makes you happy. I just don't see the need to announce it when everything is still all back and forth.

I'm not so great at phrasing the things I think so this may come off differently than I intend.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Agreed. But being bisexual instead of being straight 'gay', to me, would be more considered curiosity/promiscuity. Instead of telling your family who will judge you that you want to sleep with multiple people of different sexes, why not save something that big for the actual 'gay' presentation?

I'm sorry that you are so closed minded as to assume that bisexuality is something akin to a phase. Perhaps I should explain that to my ex-husband (male) whom I share 3 children with or maybe my current spouse (female); that I am just exploring my options because I am bisexual ... or better yet ... I should take out an ad in the paper professing my bisexuality and offer up my body to anyone interested that fits my preferred type for a man or a woman ... just so ... you know ... I can check out all my options before I decide to just be gay.

I'm usually not one to be negative towards other posters ... but please ... try not to be so damn shallow or stupid as to assume that bisexual preferences are just a stage of indecision or an excuse to sleep around.

Try to think next time, Jack-hole.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

So I guess the question he's asking is, "why choose to pursue attractions to the same sex if you also are attracted to the opposite sex?"
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

So I guess the question he's asking is, "why choose to pursue attractions to the same sex if you also are attracted to the opposite sex?"

Because, last time I checked, most people choose to date people they like.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You can't force people to accept who you are.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

No, but you can be who you are regardless and they can go **** themselves.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you are so closed minded as to assume that bisexuality is something akin to a phase. Perhaps I should explain that to my ex-husband (male) whom I share 3 children with or maybe my current spouse (female); that I am just exploring my options because I am bisexual ... or better yet ... I should take out an ad in the paper professing my bisexuality and offer up my body to anyone interested that fits my preferred type for a man or a woman ... just so ... you know ... I can check out all my options before I decide to just be gay.

I'm usually not one to be negative towards other posters ... but please ... try not to be so damn shallow or stupid as to assume that bisexual preferences are just a stage of indecision or an excuse to sleep around.

Try to think next time, Jack-hole.

I don't think my post was worth your 'unusual'l menstrual anger attack - and its pissy fits like that that will get this thread closed.

How in the sam heck is saying that its unwise for someone who posts about coming out to their parents about being 'bisexual' which to them is pretty much just being gay - shallow and stupid? She hasnt dated women. She is flirting with the thought of it for less than half a year, and she wants to TRY it. She wants to come out of the 'closet' to an unaccepting family for something that she doesnt even know she wants yet.

If you were to drank beer once, would you run do your family and exclaim you are an alchoholic?
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options

No, but you can be who you are regardless and they can go **** themselves.

that doesn't fly to well to tell the ones who provide for you.. Hence people stating to get everything prepped before she says. Obviously with about 15 people here with different views... She is probably more afraid to tell her parents because of some of the comments she is reading here...
  • justal313
    Options

No not trolling at all.

Because we rib each other about everything at every turn. We both thought it was funny and then we continued with "why won't you bring your significant others to poker?"
This discussion has been closed.