I don't want to be a yoyo

Options
I lost 60 lbs 5 years ago and slowly gained it all back...I was even hitting the gym almost daily. I am down 40 lbs again, and the closer I get to my goal the more worried I get about the yoyo. I don't want to gain it back. :(

Replies

• amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As long as u change your habits u won't gain it back. Follow the plan through which means Weightloss,Transition,and Maintenence as well get and read Dr. A's Habits of Health and Living a Longer and Healthier Life by Dr Wayne Anderson it will help u discover your truth and everything to help you deal with your issues with food so that you don't gain the weight back
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have been down this road before too and gained it back. I'm worried about the same thing. I like to think though that I'm more knowledgeable this time as well as the fact that I have eaten as much as I can where I can keep losing. The last time, I didn't keep a food diary and just kind of winged it, erring on the side of too few calories until I wound up restricting severely (eating disorder) to get the last few off. This time, my focus is on eating as much as I can where I still lose and I've also added strength training which is all new to me. I'm hoping that as I progress in strength training, I will find it easier to maintain my weight.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • shape_up4good
    Options
    I too hope this time is different.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you are giving yourself another chance for a healthier, lighter life. It seems to me that someone who is willing to go through a major weightloss process again is pretty amazing. This time ite seems that you will be wiser and with a eating tracking tool like MFP you can only succeed.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    This has been me my entire life. Too thin, too fat. I really want to just get to my goal and STAY THERE!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to analyze what habits stuck and what didn't.

Habits can be little things like whether you park at the end of the parking lot and walk. Whether you consistently drink water. Whether you pretty much eat your veggies without complaining. The list goes on. What stuck?

Next analyze what didn't stick. Think about why. Is it something that is really important or is it a secondary goal?

What will be your primary goals and secondary goals?

What is the source of the reason you backslide? What's your biggest issue?

Some of this you may need to think through over time.

Do you eat when you are stressed? Are there certain trigger foods? Is your eating related to emotions? Related to convenience? Boredom?

I have lost weight 4 times. Don't let that number scare you. I have 3 kids. This last time was due to moving abroad and basically going on "vacation mode." I changed my activity level (jobs) and my environment and didn't pay attention. At the same time, I did know what was happening and just didn't care. Now I know that for someone who moves every 4-5 years, it is going to be important to watch out for that. I will only be here another year so even if I stop logging today and go full maintenance mode, I will need to pick it back up during transition. That's going to be a lifelong strategy I learn from. My sugar addiction returned tenfold, among other things. Each time I do this, however, I really do have some habits that stick. I even have decent maintenance periods. My last maintenance period was 4 years. Each time I do this, I pick up new habits and learn new things about myself.

Take the time to think through things as you go through this process. That may be the key to keeping it off.

Another thing, don't be too restrictive with it. One of the problems people have is they set up a plan they can't maintain for life. Slow and steady really does win the race, especially when coupled with lots of learning and reflective thinking along the way.