What you can do in 6 months!

Options
****DISCLAIMER**** I do not endorse or encourage anyone to do my program or take any supplements I take. These are things that work for me. I am a nursing student and everything I have done is from research, trial and error, and knowledge of human anatomy.

On June 10th, 2012 I started my lifestyle change for good! I weighed 311.8 pounds, a size 44 waist, and 42% bodyfat. Overall I was miserable with my self esteem, unhealthy, and couldnt even walk upstairs in my house without getting out of breath. When I started I worked out 7 days a week. Days 1, 3, and 5 I did 30 minutes weight lifting in circuits, with 1 hour of cardio afterwards. On days 2,4,6,7 i did 1 hour cardio only. My cardio consisted of the stairmaster and treadmill. I worked my way up on each in intensity and speed while keeping my heart rate at a fat loss level for myself using my BMR and blood pressure, which for me is around 128-134 for fat loss. The most important aspect of my program is nutrition! Nutrition is 80% of getting in shape. Everyday, even now, I track every bite of food in MyFitnessPal. It has been very easy for me to keep my nutrition going using Myfitnesspal, eating grilled chicken and brown rice or quinoa every day for lunch along with protein shakes for breakfast and or dinner etc. Essentially eating the same foods day in and day out but to where it taste great and not boring! Its all about substitutions, 2% cheese, fat free or reduced fat products, sodium free seasonings, not eating out, and staying in my calorie goals. I was pretty extreme and had a daily calorie cut of about 1000-1500 and never hit a plateau at any point. I eat 6 meals a day, always having something about every 2-3 hrs with low carbs after 5pm, only veggies in ways of carbs, no rice, breads, or grains. I have a cheat meal once every month or two and I do not track exercise in Myfitnesspal thus I do not have to look at calories that many people think they should eat back, DONT EAT BACK CALORIES, you already worked those off! I also take a strict regiment of vitamins in doses that are sufficient for my body size and deficiency. Everyday I take CLA, B 100, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, GNC Ultra Mega Gold multi, Fish Oil, Calcium, EGCG (Green Tea Extract). All these natural vitamins put together keep my metabolism revving 24 hrs a day and are essentially a natural fat burner when used together. I will not say how much I take of each because it is different for everyone but consult a doctor, online research, and the label on each product for recommended dosing.

At this point I am doing a 5 day split weight lifting workout, 30 minutes high intensity cardio 6 days a week after lifting, one full day off. Still taking same supplements and eating very clean using a 40/30/30 macronutrient split on 2500 calories. Also losing 104 pounds in 6 months did not produce sagging skin or unwanted side effects, and I never felt sick at any point.

If anyone ever wants help I would be glad to lend my experience.

June 10th, 2012. 311.8 42% Body Fat. 44 pant size.

2012_06_14_15_32_22_948.jpg

2012_06_14_15_32_35_188.jpg

Thanksgiving 2012 219.0 15.3% Body Fat. 36 pant size. Wearing similar shirt that was from original pic.

photo_1.jpg

Today, December 21st, 2012 207.4 13% Body Fat. 34 pant size.

photo.jpg

Replies

• Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss :happy: It looks like you really had a well thought out, researched and developed plan.
  • GBeinmyself
    Options
    Awesome, way to go!:smile:
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow, all that in 6 months, that is awesome!!! Great work. Now that you are nearly at goal will you start eating your exercise calories to maintain? I just started maintaining and am still figuring things out but I am starting to eat some of those calories back now as I'm not trying to loose more, but I also think MFP overestimates calories burned for some things..
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I live in hermitage area too. I drink beer so my weightloss is a lot slower. Thats impressive though, feels like June was yesterday and you lost a 100 pounds. Thats crazy. I eat some of my excercise calories back, or drink them. cheers.
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good job dude!
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!
  • joan4373
    Options
    You are doing great!!
  • kennharr
    Options
    At this point I will not be eating a maintenance goal yet. I still have a little fat to lose, wanna hit around 8-10% BF to get the abs out. Once I get to that BF% I will be upping my calories to around 4600 for my size to put on muscle, wanna get to around 220, but all lean. This will take a few years, but this is a lifestyle for me now. As far as eating calories back, when you put in your goals, ie, 2lbs to lose each week, Myfitnesspal will try and keep you at that weight loss. So say you workout and burn 1000 calories on the treadmill and eat 2500 calories a day, Myfitnesspal will say eat the calories back so you dont lose any more than 2lbs. This is why I dont track exercise on here because it confuses me to look at it and people that are obese can usually safely lose more than 2lbs per week.
  • JimmyJazzMX
    JimmyJazzMX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You have really done a fabulous job and it really shows.
  • smithme09
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! What a great story!
  • tyt070
    tyt070 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is awesome man!! congrads and kudos for being able to achieve this! I have a couple of questions for you, when you say that you don’t track your exercises do you mean that when you were setting your profile you said that you will not be training at all or you mean that you mentioned you will be training ‘X’ days for ‘Y’ amount of time but you are not logging it, because the app calculates different amount based on what you say.

Also what would your suggestion would be for us when we hit a plato? When I started training was 104kg (about 4 ½ months ago). When I started using the app was about 96kg (about 5 weeks ago), right now I’m 89kg and going down. I’ve hit a very early plato about a week after I started using the app (I’ve lost 2kg and then was stuck for a week to 10 days). What I tried doing is, had a couple of days very intense training with a bare minimum of calories and then things kicked off and are stable ever since? Since the beginning I’ve been eating the same food including the quantity was the same. Before that plato I was training 4-5 times a week and that’s what I’m doing now. It is really strange for me how this turned out.

I would appreciate any advice because I’ll be changing my life style in a couple of weeks (going home after a long 6 month business trip) which means that food will change as well as exercises, eating schedule and etc. I would like to be prepared and to have a couple of plans ready if I hit a plato.

32070699.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kennharr
    Options
    Under the goals on MyfitnessPal I put in 0 for exercise, days workout out, etc. So its like MyfitnessPal thinks im not working out at all. If you have hit a plateau take a look at your eating and calories. Do not eat any bread, pasta, rice 5 hours before you go to bed, or after 5pm. Whats your height, weight in pounds, and cardio amount? Cardio is very big when trying to lose weight and fat. When I wanted to drop 3-4 pounds per week, I ate 2000 calories a day, and im 6ft. Do not eat any less than 1800 or more than 2000 if you wanna drop alot of weight, or if you wanna lose roughly 2 lbs per week, try to eat around 2300-2500. Keep cardio between 30-60 minutes with your heart rate up, if you arent sweating, your probably not working hard enough, thats my motto :) When i get done with the gym, I feel worn out.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you! How are your nursing studies going?
  • kennharr
    Options
    Nursing school is great, hard work, lots of memorization, but definitely worth it!
  • tyt070
    Options
    I'm 5.7 feet and i was 230 pounds when i started right now I'm 197 pounds. I go 4-5 times in the gym only cardio (threadmill) where i run for about 15 min after the run i walk for at least 45 to 60 min on top of the run (with about 7.5 degree incline) (I have a bad knee - torn joints, currently training and losing weight so i can have a surgery on a few months to fix the joints. Sometimes i do a bit of swimming as well.

I usually train after work so i eat around 8pm sometimes close to 9, but all i eat for dinner is vegetables with some cheese for protein and go to bed around 12.

In regards with the Calories, I'm not sure whether i eat enough or too much, but MyfitnessPal tells me that i should eat around 1320 calories a day if i want to lose 2lbs. That's how much i usually eat without counting exercise.

32070699.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You definitely put the work in and so happy to read you had success!:drinker:
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    I love your plan and strive for it myself. Great work!!!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    Nursing school is great, hard work, lots of memorization, but definitely worth it!
    I'm doing that too I'm friending u :)
  • kennharr
    Options
    Get some weight lifting in, atleast 30 min 3-5 times per week. Give each body part 2 days rest when lifting. At your weight of 197 and height try 2000 calories and see if that works. How many calories have you been eating?
  • tyt070
    Options
    In regards with the Calories, I'm not sure whether i eat enough or too much, but MyfitnessPal tells me that i should eat around 1320 calories a day if i want to lose 2lbs. That's how much i usually eat without counting exercise.

Nutritional goals Target
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,320 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 182 g
    Fat / Day 44 g
    Protein / Day 50 g
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!