Anyone with severe knee issues?

Options
I have severe osteoarthritis in my right and moderate in my left. I'm only 42. My knees have been a problem since I was 15 and have had 4 surgeries on my right and 3 on my left. In the last few months, I am really feeling the effects of the arthritis and it is presenting a problem with exercising. My new Orthopedic surgeon has done cortisone shots, orthovisc shots and now I'm waiting for an unloader brace for my right knee. Is anyone else in the same boat? If so, what have you done exercise wise that has been good for you? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have condramalacia pattellar...or in simple terms my knee cap does not track properly and so when I exercise my knee cap rubs on my femur. It is extremely painful. I wear a brace to pull my knee caps over so they track properly. I too am 42. My knees feel like they will give out on me at times and they ache all the time. I walk a lot and have even tried running. After working out I always ice my knees and I take Naprosyn daily. I know my limits and don't do certain exercises....modified squats, no jumping jacks, etc. Have you tried a bike or swimming. Swimming would be the best because it is no impact. Good luck. I know how you feel. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Angie
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My knees made cracking sounds before I lost 50lbs, and now that it's getting cold, they seem to be doing that again...but no severe knee issues.