Are Headaches Normal When Starting to Eat Less Calories?

Options
I have been using this site for about 3 weeks, my calorie goal is 1350. However when I exercise I eat more, around 1700. But I notice that some days I have headaches. Is this normal as the body adjusts to less calories??? My food diary is open. Some days I work out I eat back maybe half the calories. Has anyone else experienced this??
My stats are:
Height: 5'2.5"
SW: 160
CW: 155
GW: 130

Replies

• JustJennie13
    Options
    I did... But, I also have chronic migraines so I didn't think that it had anything to do with my diet change. Also what is your goal? 1lb per week?? 2???
  • spikethat
    Options
    I have only experienced headaches when I eat a very small dinner, and go to bed hungry. Then, I usually wake up with a headache, but it goes away as soon as I eat.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know how normal it is but I did get headaches in 1st couple weeks but I think for me it was adjusting to no junk food and sugar.
  • squishy2981
    Options
    Yes, it happens to people who don't normally get migraines or headaches on a regular basis. Couple of reasons.....you are dehydrated, so make sure you drink PLENTY of water. Yes, your body needs to adjust to consuming less calories. Fight this by eating more foods that make you actually feel full like veggies and proteins. There is also an adjustment to cutting out things like pop and products with sugary carbs in them. When your body is used to having sugar, it takes a little bit to get over not having as much of it when you are eating healthy. I would say, if after another week or so, you still have headaches to reevaluate your eating/training regimen. Hope this helps!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Headaches can also start if your are dehydrated. Make sure your getting more than enough water every day. Cut out as much caffeine as possible too!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It might be your body adjusting to a healthier diet if you had previously eaten a lot more sugar or other unhealthy foods.

I'd suggest you up your calories if you are still hungry throughout the day (as long as you're not eating really unhealthy cal dense foods) and make sure to drink a lot of water because that could give you a headache as well.

Hopefully they go away soon!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just glancing through your diary I bet you aren't eating enough, like today for example, you only netted around 700 calories. Refer to this post for more information on how to appropriately calculate your BMR. For example I'm 5'3 130lbs, my bmr is 1430, which I mean at least that to have my body function properly.

This post really simplifies it all though
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Could be you're dehydrated, especially if you're new to exercising. Change your settings to track your sodium, try to keep it low, and drink more water. Unless you're not logging all you drink, it looks like you're not drinking enough.

That being said, I've found that any time I have made significant changes to my diet (becoming vegetarian back in the day, trying low-carb, quitting caffeine, whatever), it's given me headaches. Nothing debilitating, but a low-grade annoyance. Didn't last more than a few days in any of the above circumstances. And more water helped each time.

Good luck!
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always end up with a headache if I eat less.
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did... But, I also have chronic migraines so I didn't think that it had anything to do with my diet change. Also what is your goal? 1lb per week?? 2???
    This is my problem, too.
  • honeyallen
    Options
    I have been using this site for about 3 weeks, my calorie goal is 1350. However when I exercise I eat more, around 1700. But I notice that some days I have headaches. Is this normal as the body adjusts to less calories??? My food diary is open. Some days I work out I eat back maybe half the calories. Has anyone else experienced this??
    My stats are:
    Height: 5'2.5"
    SW: 160
    CW: 155
    GW: 130

Human brains fuel is only glucose and omega 3 fatty acids which are derived from biological sources such as broccoli and fish cod oil. If you begin on consuming low calorie food, the onset might Mal-nourish your brain cells and may lead to headache. Going on LCG should be followed in systematic manner otherwise side effects like loss of hair and headache are bound to happen. Try not to be empty stomach longer at a stretch and include frequent fruit sessions in your day. Monitor your caffeine intake and make your work out regular/
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1 lb a week, I'm happy with that.

Is 8 cups of water a day good for my height and weight?? Also, someone mentioned a net of 700 calories, is that my total calories minus what I burned in exercise?

I definitely ate alot of sugary sweets before starting here, I have a sweet tooth, that has always been my weakness. So maybe the drop in sugar is it. That is also very interesting about the Omega 3 oils for the brain cells.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1 lb a week, I'm happy with that.

Is 8 cups of water a day good for my height and weight?? Also, someone mentioned a net of 700 calories, is that my total calories minus what I burned in exercise?

I definitely ate alot of sugary sweets before starting here, I have a sweet tooth, that has always been my weakness. So maybe the drop in sugar is it. That is also very interesting about the Omega 3 oils for the brain cells.

The water/hydration debate is ongoing, but 8 glasses should be enough.

You could be having withdrawal type symptoms from cutting out sweets/processed foods.

Yes, net is your calories you ate minus exercise calories. Like today you ate something like 1250 calories and burned 500 in exercise, which means you netted 750 calories. If you're also pretty active during the day then you need more calories in general. I find if I lay around all day I can go all day without eating. However, if I'm up in class or at work I need to eat more, and I'm not really walking around much.

I suggest giving it another week or so, and then upping your calories if you still have headaches, if you still do at that point, talk to your doctor
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I raised my calories to 1700 (from 1200, and I'm losing faster, by the way!) and I'm getting more headaches. I get headaches quite often though, so it's probably something else.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yep. I posted about it and heard to eat more salt. Which I'll admit I pretty much cut out of of diet. Once I added a little more salt I felt better. Drink LOTS of water. If you think you've had enough, drink more. Also, Magnesium helps. and water. Drink more water. I've read to drink half your weight in ounces (if you weigh 155 lbs you should be drinking at least 80oz of water--i rounded up). So I would argue that 8 cups is too low and you should be drinking 10.
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It could be your body detoxing if you were eating unhealthy before. My calories are low and have been for many years and I don't get headaches, but I eat super healthy and take supplements. Someone suggested salt which I would have to disagree with. Too much sodium is very unhealthy! If you eat super nutritious foods and get enough sleep and water, you should be OK. If the headaches continue, you should see a doctor because it could be something else more serious.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the tips!! Will def drink more water and make sure I'm eating enough thru the day, especially when I work out.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Yes, definitely. Though you're eating enough, if it was less than before, your body is still confused. Give it some time to settle (:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When I went to a low carb diet years ago, that happened for a short period.