Trouble hitting 1200 cals

Options
I'm having a hard time hitting my 1200 cal limit. I'm always left with a large amont of calorie intake (500-900 depending on the day). I have a very small appetite and I eat pretty healthy foods and exercize. Any tips or suggestions on helping me reach my calorie intake goal that won't make me gain weight?

Replies

• darkskypoet
    darkskypoet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1200 cals shouldn't be too hard to hit... I guess first question would be do you eat meat? Sensible portions of healthy meat should help out. Healthy fats would too. Add avocado, some olive oil, stuff like that. Nuts, and other items in that strata might too, just maybe watch the salt... Some people will start to retain a lot of water if their sodium climbs. I know since we switched to very healthy eating, the amounts of veg that are needed to make up calories can be quite ridiculous. :)
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    A lot of people will say you are going to go into starvation mode eating so low. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I don't want that to happen.
    I have the same problem as you, don't want to eat much but when I do it's a blow out.
    So - I try to stay full all day long on clean but WHOLE foods - by which I mean I eat full fat cheese, use olive oil, eat nuts (and heaps of protein it keeps me full) and I don't eat 'diet' foods. Avocados, yoghurt, dark chocolate, whole eggs. It all adds up and is good for you.
    I find it's easier if you pre - plan most of your day.
    good luck :)
  • darkskypoet
    darkskypoet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    A lot of people will say you are going to go into starvation mode eating so low. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I don't want that to happen.
    I have the same problem as you, don't want to eat much but when I do it's a blow out.
    So - I try to stay full all day long on clean but WHOLE foods - by which I mean I eat full fat cheese, use olive oil, eat nuts (and heaps of protein it keeps me full) and I don't eat 'diet' foods. Avocados, yoghurt, dark chocolate, whole eggs. It all adds up and is good for you.
    I find it's easier if you pre - plan most of your day.
    good luck :)

Yeah 'diet foods' are horrible, especially in the North American context where they just substitute modified horrible corn starches, or some other synthetic food like product for good wholesome natural fats.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    so many topics about this, may I suggest you read them, some great answers to your problem
  • protosaurus
    protosaurus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Drink Gin
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I read topics like this, I'm realy asking myself how you can get in weight trouble when you have problems with eating 1200 calories a day. You say normaly you eat arount 300 and 700 calories a day. So are there days when you eat 5000 calories? Because otherwise I don't understand where the weight comes from you want to lose.

I'm not judging, just wondering.
  • carolkelly45
    carolkelly45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My thoughts - strange that you are here not to put on weight while most would probably been here to lose weight. But if you are not reaching 1200 cals, then you are not "overeating" cal wise. Maybe not concentrate on number of cal but stick to eating heathy foods. What do you eat by the way?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    When I read topics like this, I'm realy asking myself how you can get in weight trouble when you have problems with eating 1200 calories a day. You say normaly you eat arount 300 and 700 calories a day. So are there days when you eat 5000 calories? Because otherwise I don't understand where the weight comes from you want to lose.

this girl makes a good point, how did you become overweight if you are struggling to eat a dangerously low intake.

you need to force yourself to eat more, or bad things will happen to you.

you should only be on a diet that low if you are morbidly obese and under the care of your doctor.

MAKE NO MISTAKE. YOUR DIET RIGHT NOW IS EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY, HARMFUL AND DANGEROUS.

is that clear enough?
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat avocados. 250 calories average. Yum!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Indeed.

I managed to eat 3000 calories before I signed up so I certainly have no problems eating 1700 calories these days. If I want to keep it clean I just eat nuts or peanut butter.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

this girl makes a good point, how did you become overweight if you are struggling to eat a dangerously low intake.

you need to force yourself to eat more, or bad things will happen to you.

you should only be on a diet that low if you are morbidly obese and under the care of your doctor.

MAKE NO MISTAKE. YOUR DIET RIGHT NOW IS EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY, HARMFUL AND DANGEROUS.

is that clear enough?

when you eat better and more satiating foods and stop eating junk you can struggle with eating enough. or at least i have.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Indeed.

I managed to eat 3000 calories before I signed up so I certainly have no problems eating 1700 calories these days. If I want to keep it clean I just eat nuts or peanut butter.

ya...this

a goal to lose 145 pounds and can't eat 1200 calories?

this is not an issue of what food to eat

this can only be a psychological issue

you cannot lose weight in a big *kitten* hurry............it takes some patience and realistic goals

focus on losing 5 pounds a month and think of being healthy rather than thin

good luck
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time hitting my 1200 cal limit. I'm always left with a large amont of calorie intake (500-900 depending on the day). I have a very small appetite and I eat pretty healthy foods and exercize. Any tips or suggestions on helping me reach my calorie intake goal that won't make me gain weight?

Before i started my MFP journey, i ate 1 time a day and i was lucky if it was 1200 cals. Part of this journey has taught me to eat meals at regular times and plan out my meals. When i fill out my diary a day ahead it helps me to eat because i look at the diary and im like " oh i still need to eat XYZ". I dont always eat Breakfast when it says Breakfast but i do eat whats on there.

I would try it. Plan out 1 day and just eat it. You could aim for 300cals a meal and then 3-100cal snacks. thats pretty easy really.
  • UmMasud
    UmMasud Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Before i started my MFP journey, i ate 1 time a day and i was lucky if it was 1200 cals. Part of this journey has taught me to eat meals at regular times and plan out my meals. When i fill out my diary a day ahead it helps me to eat because i look at the diary and im like " oh i still need to eat XYZ". I dont always eat Breakfast when it says Breakfast but i do eat whats on there.

I would try it. Plan out 1 day and just eat it. You could aim for 300cals a meal and then 3-100cal snacks. thats pretty easy really.

So, again, how did you get overweight? If you only ate once a day adn it was a 1200 calorie meal, why and how did you get in a position that you need to lose weight?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Are you logging absolutely everything?

sometimes its easy to eat something and forget to log it a little snack here and there?

Before I started MFP I was convinced I hardly ate anything. Then I started to plan my day the night before on here and stick to it. The 1200 cals and then I would add exercise cals because I was so hungry.

It made me realise that my original weight was due to overeating, I just didn`t notice how much I overate until I logged everything.

If you are logging everything then as other have said add some healthy fats. don`t go for the fat free options.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me too when I started because I stressed about it so much. It really doesn't take much, a handful of almonds, a few pieces of cheese, a glass of milk, an apple with peanut butter is a great filler, granola bar... Nuts are high in calories, healthy fat!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    If you would open your diary, it would be helpful to see what you are eating now as far as suggestions.
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well if I need to get close to my total of calories by the end of the day I add peanut butter. 2-3 tablespoons for me usually fills in the gap.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I mean, just open your mouth and put it in. Eat high density food.

eatit-weirdal.jpg
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    SIGH
    really really BIG SIGH

Are you eating REAL food? Nutrient dense food . protein ( animal and/or plant based) healthy fats ( nuts, nut butters, avocado, olives), fruit and veg, whole grains.

It isn't difficult. 2 TB of natural peanut butter is 200 calories. A serving of nuts 180-200 calories.
    Eggs, beans, cheese, tua, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, steamed brown rice, baked potato.
    A baked potato with cheese and steamed veg can be 400+ calories.

your body has adapted to the low calories you have been feeding yourself. Your metabolism has slowed and you are not receiving hunger signals. This is NOT good.

I blogged about protein .... Some ideas are there for you.

Www.getwithitforlife.com