Something that's bothering me.

Options
kwmarissa
kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
I'm in high school, and ever since I lost weight boys are starting to notice me. I've been having trouble eating and a part of me feels like if I gain weight people in general just won't like me. I know it's stupid to think that way but it's just how I feel. And this boy that was in a few of my classes last year told my sisters boyfriend that he thought I was pretty. And really, that's really sweet of him and i was thankful but then he sent me a message and it read "I haven't seen you in a while, you look good," and I know that he didn't mean anything by it. I really do and maybe I'm just super sensitive but why wasn't I good enough last year? Why is that now that I've dropped the weight people suddenly want to be friends? I should've been enough last year. Now I come off as a complete witch because I don't feel the same way about him. Now I'm "too good"

Am I the only one who feels offended?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Attraction is what it is. Heavy people are not as attractive to "most" people. Enjoy the attention and take care of yourself. Find someone you like who likes you as well.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Maybe he admires you for your accomplishment? Maybe you stand out from the rest because of your hard work, self control and positive outlook? I know I'd like more of those people in my life.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Because highschool life is a doldrums of surface-based, shallow attraction where hormones are running rampant and kids don't quite know what to do with them yet? Would be my guess anyways.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Attraction is what it is. Heavy people are not as attractive to "most" people. Enjoy the attention and take care of yourself. Find someone you like who likes you as well.

This.
  • illuminaughty576
    Options
    the people who"ll notcie you now are not worth it at all!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It could be that the boy would like you the next year when he didn't the prior year, even if you hadn't changed one bit. The good thing about high school and the teen years is they are short in the scheme of things. I know it feels like forever to you now. So, you don't like the boy "that way", and nothing says you have to.

My bigger concern is that you are finding it hard to eat because you feel that people won't like you. That way lies madness. So, do you know what your BMR is and your TDEE? This is important because you likely can eat more than you have been without gaining any weight.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Just say thanks and find someone that you like!:flowerforyou:
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

This. Unfortunately this is how our society works.

But think about it: don't you react the same way? Who did you find attractive in the past - the good-looking football player or the shy, nondescript, possibly fat nerd with huge glasses? It's how we humans are wired.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is just more confident in HIMSELF to actually say something to you, instead of trying to go through the sisters boyfriend.....? Maybe he's liked you since last year?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    being unhealthy/overweight is not attractive in most cases...this is encoded in our DNA. so it stands to reason that the more fit/healthy one becomes the more attractive they become to most people.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    He is a teenage boy. He probably doesn't know what he likes in a female yet. I have a teenage son and he told me that my boyfriend would like me more if I looked like the girls in the magazines. He didn't even think about it before he said it. You only need to worry about how YOU feel. NEVER worry about how others feel about you. You can't change anyone but yourself. If he didn't like you last year because you had a little extra weight on you that is his problem. Don't worry about being skinny worry about being healthy. Make yourself happy first.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just grew up in that year, and is suddenly noticing girls. Don't read stuff into it---it only makes you unhappy. Take it as it comes, with a smile, and know that more flowers will be coming your way because you are reaching that stage of life.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

This. Unfortunately this is how our society works.

But think about it: don't you react the same way? Who did you find attractive in the past - the good-looking football player or the shy, nondescript, possibly fat nerd with huge glasses? It's how we humans are wired.
    This
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, you lose weight to be healthy and feel good, people notice that, and then you question their motives?

Oh brother!

These threads are just so silly. I see this from time to time and can't figure out the psychology.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I always assumed no boy ever liked me in high school. I found out later that I was intensely intimidating *snort* and the subject of several very secret crushes. It was my personality and intensity or whatever. I felt kinda dumpy, plain, and clumsy in high school. But intimidating.

If someone tells you that you look good, you really should respond with "thank you!" No need to be so dramatic.
  • WaltSeher
    Options
    Oh please dont judge yourself just cause of what some boy in high school says about you. I remember when I was in high school. Boys think so much differentley than girls do. At that age I was such a perv. I would say anything to be able to hump some girls leg! lMAO!
  • WaltSeher
    Options
    I always assumed no boy ever liked me in high school. I found out later that I was intensely intimidating *snort* and the subject of several very secret crushes. It was my personality and intensity or whatever. I felt kinda dumpy, plain, and clumsy in high school. But intimidating.

If someone tells you that you look good, you really should respond with "thank you!" No need to be so dramatic.
    OMG! IKR? I talk to alot of people who I went to school with and some of the hottest girls I ever met said they had a crush on me. Back then I thought they were totally out of my league!
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all relax..

Its awesome that you are being sought after by the opposite sex. Enjoy it and don't get resentful about it. Men go out of our way to talk to the attractive girls more than those we do not find attractive, that is just the way it works. Once we get to know them we fall in love with the ones that merit it and dump those that we feel aren't worth a serious relationship in the long run. You cant go through your life wondering if every boy who talks to you would have done so when you were bigger.

Congratulations, you are a success.. People are noticing...Enjoy it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Sounds so juvenile. What grade are you in? Is he older?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds so juvenile. What grade are you in? Is he older?

^^ this. Also you are reading to much into this. Boys are dumb and have no idea how to talk to girls. Just accept that he did and live in the present.