my latte had how many calories?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• katieginger
    Options
    It is absolutely the syrups you are adding. I have a latte or cappuccino every day, without any flavouring, and can stay within a 1200 calorie diet. If you get a drink that is well made the steaming process should have brought out the natural sweetness from the milk, without needing to add hundreds of calories from sugary syrups.

Drinks that come with lots of foam are a good option (cappuccino's) because they contain less milk, another great option if you can find a coffee shop that carries it is Almond Milk. I often get lattes made with Almond Milk and it's naturally sweeter than regular milk so it will taste more like a sugary drink without all the flavourings.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    as an official SB barista i can say that some of our stuff is just ridiculous but a lot of it can be improved and made healthier. did you know you can ask for protein powder in your lattes? it makes them creamy and protein packed! also we have a bunch of sugar free syrups if thats your bag. also asking for less pumps of something is an easy way to cut calories. just some ideas. :)

do you have any idea how many calories are in a pump of something? like when i order a gingerbread latte i usually get a couple extra pumps, but i have no idea how many calories that adds.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So this moring I decided to stop and get myself a chai soy milk latte. The spicy, sweet goodness was beckoning me. I finished that lovely concoction and dutifully logged into MPF to journal my consumption. 310!!!!calories later, I am planning an extra long workout tonight. What treat did you eat thinking it wasn't going to be too horrible and then you found out the real truth?

Why the punishment? I hope you enjoyed the latte. It's not an every day thing.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love-love-love the frappacino - and will still treat myself once in a while --- but now I call it LUNCH! :cry:
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if it tastes good, it as lots of calories. Plain boring tasteless food is the only way to go.

Fundamentally incorrect. If you know how to cook, just about anything can be prepared with plenty of flavor and still keep it lo-cal and nutritious. As a former catering chef, I will admit it's easier to do so by adding easy calories but certainly not an impossibility to do it healthily.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One word. Panera. We had a mandatory luncheon inservice and Panera box lunches were on the menu. Ok. So I chose the Sierra Turkey-or something like that. A slice or two of turkey, piece of lettuce and tomato and some orangy squirt of mayo looking stuff. not even enough to really wet the bread. I thought I was doing good because I didnt eat the chips or the cookie-that had never happened before! I even drank unsweetened tea-something a true Southerner would never do! When I logged in and checked the calories, I thought it was a typo! Only the sandwich-over 900 calories! If I had just eaten the bread it would have been over 500! I thought I had eaten a half sandwich, so I logged that. Wrong! When I checked the website for the box lunch info, I was regretfully informed that it was a whole sandwich and I did eat almost my whole day's worth of calories in that piece of crap! ONE HOT SISTER-you hear me??? Never again! And to think I thought I chose the healthy option-turkey! IM STILL PISSED! (Cant you tell!)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if it tastes good, it as lots of calories. Plain boring tasteless food is the only way to go.

Fundamentally incorrect. If you know how to cook, just about anything can be prepared with plenty of flavor and still keep it lo-cal and nutritious. As a former catering chef, I will admit it's easier to do so by adding easy calories but certainly not an impossibility to do it healthily.

Everyone jumped on my quote. I mean, if it tastes REALLY YUMMY DELICIOUS GOOD. We all fool ourselves and con ourselves into thinking that fresh anything tastes wonderful and nutritious. The fact is, slap bacon and butter on it, and it's 25,000 times better.

Please take it in the spirit it was meant. We're talking about being surprised that a tuna melt is so high in calories. Really? Really? That surprises you that it's drowning and dripping in mayo and you're surprised that it's 800 cals? That's what I mean. If it's something yummy, drowning in fat, rich in flavor, cooked in butter, deep fried, yummy, donuts, pastries, chocolate, starbucks "coffees", etc. It is not surprising that all the yummy stuff is high in calories. That's the spirit in which I'm talking about. Please don't be so technical, it's kind of boring and drives the conversation the wrong way. Of course nutritious heathful food can be prepared to taste good. But, it cannot compare to bacon and butter and melted cheese. It just can't.
  • bverk
    bverk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    !
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Word.
  • bverk
    bverk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a few shockers like this and now my husband and I are obsessed with tracking. We will actually stand outside a restaurant with our phones out trying to figure out if there is anything there we can eat. It's kind of sad actually. People probably think we're nuts.

Me and my wife are doing the same thing and we are over 50....people probably think we are texting our peeps like the kids today!! lol :smile: :laugh:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One word. Panera. We had a mandatory luncheon inservice and Panera box lunches were on the menu. Ok. So I chose the Sierra Turkey-or something like that. A slice or two of turkey, piece of lettuce and tomato and some orangy squirt of mayo looking stuff. not even enough to really wet the bread. I thought I was doing good because I didnt eat the chips or the cookie-that had never happened before! I even drank unsweetened tea-something a true Southerner would never do! When I logged in and checked the calories, I thought it was a typo! Only the sandwich-over 900 calories! If I had just eaten the bread it would have been over 500! I thought I had eaten a half sandwich, so I logged that. Wrong! When I checked the website for the box lunch info, I was regretfully informed that it was a whole sandwich and I did eat almost my whole day's worth of calories in that piece of crap! ONE HOT SISTER-you hear me??? Never again! And to think I thought I chose the healthy option-turkey! IM STILL PISSED! (Cant you tell!)

YES THIS ^^^

Panera Bread just looks like the healthiest option and just about everything they serve is sky high in calories! I couldn't believe it either. OP -- great thread. I think this is one of the most helpful threads out of all the nonsense.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try the skinny mocha soy latte instead. Only 100 calories and 2g of sugar, I believe!
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I order Chinese. Though I order all vegetarian it still packs so many calories :(
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options

YES THIS ^^^

Panera Bread just looks like the healthiest option and just about everything they serve is sky high in calories! I couldn't believe it either. OP -- great thread. I think this is one of the most helpful threads out of all the nonsense.

+1. Thanks for the heads up and warning. Great info!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It is shocking when you find out just how bad stuff is. For me, the latest 'aha' anyway, is Pumpkin Milk. It has 290 calories in 8 OUNCES. I used to drink a tall glass, probably over 16oz, 600 cals or more. It is probably 50% fat and 49% corn syrup & 1% pumpkin. lol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cappuccino rather than a latte as it uses a little less milk. I can easily fit in the calories from a small amount of skimmed, or even whole milk.

The things that have caught me be surprise are things that I haven't bothered about the calories in before. So I have overeaten on silly things like fruit and vegetables, thinking that the calories were negligible and I could have as much I wanted. (I'm not saying that I've never eaten too much of other things, just that I've KNOWN the other things had calories!). I've eaten too much of carrots, brussels sprouts and watermelon in particular. (I seriously thought the watermelon was pretty much just water!).

The other thing that could catch me out is oat bran. I eat it quite often and I thought of it as mainly fibre so not really digestible and therefore low in calories. Apparently not. I'm careful with my portion size now.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Besides on the days when I want to indulge myself and have a half serving of their awesome mac n cheese,,,, I only eat the summer chicken/fruit salad there. I wish they had it all year.

YES THIS ^^^

+1. Thanks for the heads up and warning. Great info!
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    for me peanut butter, 2 tablespoon is 200 calories....thats massive.. i was slathering it on toast every morning...no wonder i was fat and not losing weight
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    So this moring I decided to stop and get myself a chai soy milk latte. The spicy, sweet goodness was beckoning me. I finished that lovely concoction and dutifully logged into MPF to journal my consumption. 310!!!!calories later, I am planning an extra long workout tonight. What treat did you eat thinking it wasn't going to be too horrible and then you found out the real truth?

You can buy chai teabags or loose leaf chai tea. It's just the spiced black tea, no sweetener, no calories. Then you can make your own chai latte and control what's in it. For instance, I like to make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and one teaspoon of brown sugar. It's not as rich but it's good and very few calories. (I have an espresso machine so I can steam the milk if I am feeling ambitious.)

I gave up my venti vanilla soy lattes a long time ago... I don't even want to know how many calories it had. I had to end my love affair with Starbucks not just for calorie reasons, but to stick to my budget.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A big bag of kettle chips (150g), almost 800 calories :(
    It so wasn't worth it but today is my day off lol!