SO hungry after Working Out!

Options
But then when I eat, I will eat away all my burned Calories!!
Any Advice!?!

Replies

• NatashaCeeLow1
    NatashaCeeLow1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any luck with this? I have the same issue myself. Today, I decided to eat a salad. On other occasions, I will eat a granola bar. I have learned to keep something light in the house so I don't feel bad eating after working out.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i can't see your diary, so I can't see what you're eating during the day. What's your calorie intake and how long and vigorous are you exercising?

Please share those details so I can give better suggestions.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try eating Protein after a workout. Should help to calm the cravings. I tend to have the opposite problem. I usually am not super hungry after a workout but I make myself have some protein anyways to help my muscles recover. Good luck!
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Long cardio workouts tend to make me hungry, but lifting weights does not have that effect. That's why I limit my cardio when I'm trying to lose weight. It makes the eating end of it much easier. There are lots of reasons why weight training is beneficial for weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set yourself up in MFP...If you already have a built in deficit, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back. For example, if you're doing the 1,200 calorie thing and you log exercise...let's say 300 calories burned in a workout, but don't eat back those calories, you're really only getting 900 net calories which is absolutely, unequivocally unhealthy and unsustainable...and you could be doing real damage to your internal organs.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about getting really hungry after a workout. Lean protein, fruit and veg. I try to ignore the carb craving for the sake of calories.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Don't eat all your calories before you train. Guess if you train late at night, you're screwed, so leave a couple of hundred available for eating afterwards.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Protein shakes were made for just this :)

I like one right after a workout. I'm always hungry after working out and need to eat right away. I can't eat before a workout as it repeats on me/gives me a bad stomach.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    a lot egg whites + 1 whole egg. It is the only think that helps me.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving after my workouts...just starving. I'm trying to get into the habit of having something with me for right after I'm finished and then I come home and have a protein shake. Well, that's what I'm trying to do anyways. And trust me, my calories are no where near to low, eating close to 1800 daily.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Water water water. Fills you up. Have an apple. Fills you up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry after working out, I'd say that's a good sign that you got work done. My approach to this problem is to eat. (But when I'm trying to lose weight, I just make sure that my calories for the full day are less than my TDEE.)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Any Advice!?!

you do realize you're SUPPOSED to eat the burned calories, right?

you already have a deficit built into your goal.
    you exercise, you increase that deficit to a potentially unhealthy level, so you eat the calories you just burned to get back to the original deficit you had (presumably 2 pounds per week since that is what everyone chooses...)

exercise isn't to lose weight, it's to get fit and strong....
    the calorie counting is to lose the weight....
    don't sabotage yourself by starving yourself unknowingly...
    if you are hungry after a workout it's because you worked hard and need to fuel your body.
    eat.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I also had this issue and people suggested me protein shakes with I think are absolutely disgusting! So I drink a stonyfeild organic super smoothie after my workout.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Any Advice!?!

you do realize you're SUPPOSED to eat the burned calories, right?

you already have a deficit built into your goal.
    you exercise, you increase that deficit to a potentially unhealthy level, so you eat the calories you just burned to get back to the original deficit you had (presumably 2 pounds per week since that is what everyone chooses...)

exercise isn't to lose weight, it's to get fit and strong....
    the calorie counting is to lose the weight....
    don't sabotage yourself by starving yourself unknowingly...
    if you are hungry after a workout it's because you worked hard and need to fuel your body.
    eat.
    This.
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    After I workout, which is usually in the morning, I take in my duffel bag tuna fish. I eat it plain, for me, about 1/3 of a can. This helps curb the appetite but is also high in protein and helps muscle building. They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. By the time I get to work, I will usually have a protein shake or bar. I prefer making my protein shake with strawberries and bananas & peanut butter, sometimes with spinach added in. Because the shakes are filling to me, I have to remind myself sometimes to eat lunch.

Play around with ingredients for protein shakes, you might find a flavor you like.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    After I workout, which is usually in the morning, I take in my duffel bag tuna fish. I eat it plain, for me, about 1/3 of a can. This helps curb the appetite but is also high in protein and helps muscle building. They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. By the time I get to work, I will usually have a protein shake or bar. I prefer making my protein shake with strawberries and bananas & peanut butter, sometimes with spinach added in. Because the shakes are filling to me, I have to remind myself sometimes to eat lunch.

Play around with ingredients for protein shakes, you might find a flavor you like.
    Myth.
  • martinh78
    Options
    They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. .
    Myth.

It's not a myth, they do say that.
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out.

This could be a "myth", but the "myth" is working for me.

I think everyone is different and you have to do what works for you. For now, this works for me, in a few months, it could change.

Time Frame
    Consume the protein shake as soon as possible -- ideally, not more than 15 to 30 minutes -- after your workout to allow your body to digest and absorb the nutrients, protein and carbohydrates so they can be delivered to the muscles and tissues that need to be repaired following the workout. After you consume the protein shake, the nutrients reach your muscles in about 30 minutes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/399844-post-workout-protein-shakes-for-women/#ixzz2FsPGnijb
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    This is the first time I have actually posted a picture of myself on this board. But my profile picture will show you my "before" and "work in progress" photo. I think every individual is different, and you have to do what is best for you. I would suggest planning what you eat the next day so you aren't grabbing things you shouldn't eat.