Belly Area - Fat Tire

Options
So, I have lost 75lbs in the last 2 years and I am getting pretty close to where I want to be. The only thing that I can not get rid of is the belly fat right around my waist. You can see my abs above the lower stomach area and below my chest and I can feel my abs under my stomach fat but I can not get rid of the bottom flab. I just finished a full round of insanity and it really shaped everything but the fat tire area. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get rid of that?

Thanks

Replies

• kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Lose more fat...belly fat is often the last to go. The only way to get rid of it is to keep on a deficit.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It depends on age ect if your young it may tighten up still, if not it may be extra skin, Getting a mini tummy tuck may be an option smaller incision, than a hip to hip one, but just wait and hang in there, also I'd wait if you plan on having children , unless you have already had your kids make sure you are done with kids & weight loss , then check out your options..
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No advice but this is an area that I struggle with too. Can't wait to see what advice you get.
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I am done having children but I didn't have to deal with any of the weight gain, that was my Wife's job :smile:

It depends on age ect if your young it may tighten up still, if not it may be extra skin, Getting a mini tummy tuck may be an option smaller incision, than a hip to hip one, but just wait and hang in there, also I'd wait if you plan on having children , unless you have already had your kids make sure you are done with kids & weight loss , then check out your options..
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the last to go. Even if you've reached your goal weight you may have to work on leaning out to get it gone plus if you have a lot of just stretched skin it may or may not go. They say it takes at least 2 years for skin to tighten up but after that you may just have to live with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Realistically, "goal weight" has nothing to do with belly fat. One could reach their goal weight and still be 30+% bodyfat. The fat is what needs to go, and the way to get rid of it is to stay with a calorie deficit, make sure you're getting adequate protein (somewhere around 1g per pound of lean body mass) and take up a strength training program (weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, etc.). This will help ensure that you're losing fat as opposed to lean body mass (of which muscle is a component).

You can't "spot reduce" the belly (or any other part of your body), so just keep at it and eventually it will come off. Unfortunately for guys, the belly is often the last place we lose the fat.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I am done having children but I didn't have to deal with any of the weight gain, that was my Wife's job :smile:

LOL! I was going to say "well, if you're perimenopausal or post menopausal..." But, never mind! :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Realistically, "goal weight" has nothing to do with belly fat. One could reach their goal weight and still be 30+% bodyfat. The fat is what needs to go, and the way to get rid of it is to stay with a calorie deficit, make sure you're getting adequate protein (somewhere around 1g per pound of lean body mass) and take up a strength training program (weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, etc.). This will help ensure that you're losing fat as opposed to lean body mass (of which muscle is a component).

You can't "spot reduce" the belly (or any other part of your body), so just keep at it and eventually it will come off. Unfortunately for guys, the belly is often the last place we lose the fat.

Best answer right here.

By the way, I'm right there with you...it's my worst spot too. That, and under my effing chin lol.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options

Yup, great answer.
  • crbf
    crbf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Some great answers here!
  • pairofJeans92
    Options
    I was told that with belly fat, you have to do cardio as well as staying on an eating deficit. Ab exercises are great, but only if you are doing them along side cardio. If not, you will be building great ab muscles, but not removing the fat which will then make your tummy look even bigger.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Consistent calorie deficit combined with exercise till it goes away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Research suggests you can spot reduce the abdominal area (only) with targeted lifestyle modification because that is your 'fight or flight' fat. As a guy get your bodyfat lower, high intensity weights/ strength (full body or compound moves, limit rests) and cardio interval training to boost growth hormone release (cuts fat and encourages muscle), eat a low glycaemic index, nutrient dense anti stress diet (esp. magnesium rich foods, oily fish for omega-3s, fruits and veggies, reduced fat dairy). Eliminate anything that puts the body into a state of stress because this encourage fat to be laid down in this area - life stress, poor sleep patterns, smoking, alcohol, sugar/ white refined/ high glycaemic index carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would just like to point out the OP is a man, so the kid thing doesnt apply, lol.

Its all about lowering body fat but also maintaining lean body mass. As someone noted adequate protein and a moderate deficit would be ideal. Also, weight training is a good way to preserve lean body mass. If you can look at a program like p90x or do another round of insanity but make sure you eat enough calories. The bb nutrition plan is pretty good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was told that with belly fat, you have to do cardio as well as staying on an eating deficit. Ab exercises are great, but only if you are doing them along side cardio. If not, you will be building great ab muscles, but not removing the fat which will then make your tummy look even bigger.

For overall fat lose, weight training is more effective than cardio.
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    I accidentally came upon this while searching for posts relating to Growth Hormone Releasers ( Kind of related to the central topic discussed here). I would like to see this thread come back to life, and see some fresh perspective. BUMP!
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have found that swimming (not hard either) easily burns the sides of my stomach. I've also found that yogurt with the bacteria and bran deflates this area if eaten regularly. As well, adding Chlorophyl (from a weight lifting store) has helped because it improves digestion. Drinking green tea after a dinner meal attacks fat. Anyway, in my experience, the weight on my stomach isn't fat for the most part, it's just bloating from missing a few things from my diet.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There's nothing different you need to do than you've already been doing. You just need to keep at a deficit and that's it, the abs take very little work to be defined, its all about reducing your BF % down. Exercising will help preserve muscle loss though whilst on a deficit.

I had my top abs visible at ~15% but still had a lower belly. I'm now in the 13% range and its starting to disappear, there's still a layer but I can now feel the muscle underneath. My top abs are really defined now. I would imagine it will take getting down to 10% or so to make the lower section defined.