Running

Options
Well I do not yet have before and after pictures as I am only down 20pounds. But I reached a very successful point in my journey last night and reapeated it today. When starting my journey in October I could not run or jog more than 5 minutes without feeling sick and giving up. Last night I ran a mile and a half (20 minutes) and did not stop or slow down! I have not reached all of my goals but running is helping and I'm just very proud of myself! :D

Replies

• youngblood_2010
    Options
    Last night I ran a mile and a half (20 minutes) and did not stop or slow down!

Is it even possible to go any slower?

I'm kidding....I'm kidding. Nice work!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Someone caught the running bug. Wait till you get the runners high,

Well done!!
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    Thanks and Im working on it. I really do love to run and I may still have a slow mile but 3 miles in the last two days is HUGE for me. So hopefully it'll only get better!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well done and 20lbs is a wonderful achievement.
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's fab! I totally have the running bug and I think the 20 mins point is the turning point - no going back, only getting stronger :-)
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!
  • Granada88
    Granada88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep running. Don't ever quit!
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Are you doing the Couch to 5K training program or just winging it on your own? I started Couch to 5K in June (WHAT was I thinking starting in JUNE? LOL) and completed all the weeks. I remember having that first 20 minute run looming ahead of me when my longest segment to date had been 8 minutes. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it, and I was SO THRILLED when I actually did! On most of those "long" (at the time) runs, I remember thinking, "I just can't do this. I'm not enjoying running anyway, so why bother. I'll finish this run and it will be my last." Then within 5 minutes of finishing, I was already planning my next run. Fast forward to now, I run 4 miles at a time with ease, and my time is slowly getting better. When I first hit 3 miles, I wasn't even averaging 12 min/miles. Today I completed a 4 mile run in 44:25. I realize that is still slow by most people's standards (used to be by mine too LOL), but I felt great about it! :-)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 20lbs gone! Keep running its an awesome feeling! 1.5 mile run without stopping is awesome! I remember when I started running it was one light pole to the next. One step at a time! You're doing a great job!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I just found out what it's like to run a mile without breaking into a walk about an hour ago. It's a good feeling (once you catch your breath again!)
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey, a mile and a half is still a mile and a half. Great work no matter how slow it was!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's so great -- congratulations! You're a runner now, keep it up!
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    well done :)
    you should sign up for a fun run or a 5km run and have that to work towards, thats what i did and its really good motivation, and fun on the day :)
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    that's a great job. same stuff when I started. Now I run 6 miles at a whack. I am sure you'll be able to do that in no time. I also can attest that running is one of the better exercises to help with weight loss.
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It's only gonna get better and better. Just take your time and try to continue to increase gradually :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well done. Now wait till you get to the point where you don't want to stop. I love the high.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Euphoric feeling savour it!! Many more of such to come.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

WTF?! Why would you say something like that to downgrade her accomplishment?!

OP- That's fantastic! One of the biggest mistakes new runners make is by trying to go too fast. Going at a comfortable speed for you will help you build a base of endurance, and you can always speed up later on if you want to! You're doing it the absolute right way to avoid injury and be successful. More people would end up as runners if they started like you have. Don't start pushing your speed too hard because some internet A-hole made a stupid comment- you're doing it right as is. Well Done!!!

Cheers to the endless list of running victories you have in the future!!! :drinker:
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I LOVE running and all I can say is just wait until you plan your first 5k, 10k, and even half/full marathons! These are just a few of the milestones running gives you! You'll also feel amazing, will begin to see your hamstrings/legs tighten up like whoa!, and when you don't eat right you will see that you don't run right (all the more reason to eat/stay healthy!). Also, check out tips for new runners:

http://ilovetorun262.blogspot.com/2012/11/20-tips-for-new-runners.html

Hope your running brings you to amazing places like it has me :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes it is - I am slower.

OP: that is a really good NSV. I do not run but have been bullied into it by a certain MFP 'friend'. I only managed 1 mile in 12 minutes and needed a nap after, so 1 1/2 miles in 20 minutes is impressive to me. Well done.

Edited for typo
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!