Christmas. Change goals or leave as is?

Options
Has anyone else changed their goals to maintain their current weight just for Christmas (i.e 5 days)? I just did but it scares me. I am worried that if allow myself that flexibility it will be difficult getting back on track. However if I don't do it, I am likely to binge. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance - Dee.

Replies

• karen4ever
    karen4ever Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goal from 1 lb loss per week to a 0.5 lb loss per week, this has given me an extra 250 cals per day which I think has made just that extra bit of room for a few extra goodies.

for me going to maintenance would of meant 500 extra cals a day , and I just know that is too many extra cals for me as I am leaving my goals changed until January.

But it is a personal choice, you need to do what you think you can cope with and can easily drop back down from after the hols
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm just leaving mine alone. May log, may not every day. Will probably go over when I do, but if I know I'm going to see a red number, I'd rather see it based on my "loss" goal and know that's how far over I went from the usual goal. I don't much like the red, but it doesn't kill me either. For me, it just keeps the playing field even--I know going over and keeping it within 500 probably won't cause a gain, it will keep me in maintenance. To each your own, though. Do what works for you, that is just the rationale I used for me...
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    I updated mine to Follow IN Place of a Road Map 2.0 a bit closer. So I am aiming to eat 1460 cals a day, up from 1200. It should allow for a couple cookies and a glass of wine here and there.As long as I don't gain in the next week, I don't care.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep mine as it is. Strong will and determination is needed here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just left it as is...it doesn't bother me to see the little red numbers because I know I'm going to be over a couple of days here. For the most part, as long as I'm at or less than maintenance for most of the time that I'll have the fam in town, I'm a happy camper.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I plan to leave mine as is and eat as good as I can. I'll still eat the normal foods, and enjoy a slice of pie -- but try not too eat TOO much. One day isn't going to kill a diet; so won't care much about the number on christmas day.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You don't need to change your goals just for Christmas. Decide to live with your current goal or decide to take a break. Whatever you decide to do, track it!

You can do this! :)
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm not changing anything. I am reasonably close to maintenance and my current cals reflect this. I know I will go over on Christmas day but here is where real life kicks in. There are going to be some days I go over in real life. I'm not always going to be so controlling over everything I eat so I am looking at the Christmas period as a time to see if I have really learnt anything about how much I can and should eat of something. I need to be able to eat everything in the real world. I need to be able to have a cookie then stop. Or a piece of cheesecake but a smaller piece. Glass or two of sparkling wine but not the whole bottle. I need to be able to look the leftovers in the eye and say 'ok...you are there...now lets serve up a healthy portion not eat the entire leg of ham'.

For those who still have a fair way to go, don't change your goals...just log and you can see the difference between how much you should be eating vs how much you ate. See it as an education opportunity not setting yourself up as an excuse to binge (oh...I went over into the red so I should just really go over as I am already over.) Enjoy your Christmas but maybe be mindful in your enjoyment like I am going to try to do. Don't eat the whole turkey. Don't eat the whole ham. Cut up the leftovers into meal sized portions and whack them straight into the freezer so you can enjoy Christmas for months :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else changed their goals to maintain their current weight just for Christmas (i.e 5 days)? I just did but it scares me. I am worried that if allow myself that flexibility it will be difficult getting back on track.
    To me, that sounds like as good a reason as any to do it. Practising flexibility is a good thing.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well I have got this far into Christmas without going over, so I am planning to do some extra exercise in the morning for the next few days so I can enjoy some guilt free cheer!
    Anyone joining me?
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm off work for two weeks so changed my activity level from lit to sedentary. Other than that, no change. Even managed a booze-free night out tonight :-)
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea; I'd be more inclined to log everything, I think.

Think of it as practice for when you get to maintenance!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm not logging or monitoring. i'm going to eat what i want. i'm not too bothered if i gain a bit at the mo- i've been pretty much solid on the road to righteousness for the last 2 years and the time has come for me to have a break. but i'd prefer to gain no more than 5lbs in 3 weeks, so maybe i'll keep a bit of self control!
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm going to keep mine the same at 1 pound loss per week, or maybe 0.5.

hopefully I won't be too tempted, and hopefully my family will stop shoving food in my face
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Funny I had just switched to maintenance mode and then read this :) I am going to keep exercising and figure there will be days I go over... If I can keep reasonably good habits going most of the time and keep exercising then I think it will be fine.

Have a great holiday!
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well I have got this far into Christmas without going over, so I am planning to do some extra exercise in the morning for the next few days so I can enjoy some guilt free cheer!
    Anyone joining me?
    This sounds like a good plan. I'm off work until after the holidays and I plan to work out as much as possible to earn my extra calories :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my goals anyway, this should be enough, besides the gym is open everyday except actual christmas and that's what the Kinnect is for..
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do exactly what I did at Thanksgiving.... eat exactly what I want but in much smaller portions. I'll log everything so there are no surprises. At worst it will slow down the weight loss for a day or two. At best there won't even be a hiccup in the process. I'm so close to my goal now that this is a practice run for maintenance. I've been to umpteen parties in the last few weeks and had a cookie here and there, and still managed to stay well within my allotted calorie amounts. I am just over 3 weeks away from hip replacement surgery and that is utmost in my thoughts. I need to be at the best weight I can possible be for the best possible outcome.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just trying to maintain.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm going back home (France) tomorrow so no way I can log the food overthere (not in the data base) anyway.
    plus i'm dreaming of french food all year round (I live in SoCal) so I'm just trying not to overindulge.... it's gonna be maintenance.
    I dont think you can gain 10 pounds in 5 days - maybe just try to maintain !