Asthmatics

Options
I am wondering how you guys stay fit with your asthma. Sometimes I can do a full workout, others I last 15 minutes before feeling like I'm going to die, literally. I need to get my weight off to be able to be healthier, not only with asthma but also with the threat of heart issues and diabetes that ate in my family. HELP!

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your asthma may not be as well controlled as it should be...see your doctor about it?

PS I have asthma, and I have been able to do cardio without too much trouble.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I have asthma, and my family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. What kind of asthma do you have? Exercise induced, or just all-around pain the *kitten* whenever it feels like it asthma?

Mine is just regular all the time asthma. What I tend to do is take a puff of my inhaler on my way to working out, then one right before I start running. The exercise endorphins actually end up helping me for awhile, and open up the airways while I'm running. Sometimes after working out I'll start feeling a little crappy again (when the endorphins are wearing off) and will take another puff as needed. And on the occasional day where I'm just feeling terrible after I start working out, I'll just take it easier and walk or get on the bike. Having a full-scale asthma attack isn't worth the couple hundred calories I was going to burn.

ETA: Are you on any other asthma meds? I've seen a huge improvement since I started Advair.
  • saj06003
    saj06003 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went a few years without meds and I found that eating less sugar helped. I would also practice turtle breathing (breathe in for 4-7 counts, hold for 4-7 counts, breathe out for 4-7 counts) which is basically breathing deeply from your belly. Now, I use a preventative inhaler twice a day and I have no problem exercising - at least no problems related to asthma.
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I have asthma, and my family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. What kind of asthma do you have? Exercise induced, or just all-around pain the *kitten* whenever it feels like it asthma?

Mine is just regular all the time asthma. What I tend to do is take a puff of my inhaler on my way to working out, then one right before I start running. The exercise endorphins actually end up helping me for awhile, and open up the airways while I'm running. Sometimes after working out I'll start feeling a little crappy again (when the endorphins are wearing off) and will take another puff as needed. And on the occasional day where I'm just feeling terrible after I start working out, I'll just take it easier and walk or get on the bike. Having a full-scale asthma attack isn't worth the couple hundred calories I was going to burn.

ETA: Are you on any other asthma meds? I've seen a huge improvement since I started Advair.

Mine is the pain in the *kitten* type. I am not on any asthma meds as I wasn't seeing a difference. No need for the extra steroid inhaler if it does nothing for me.

I will have to try the puff before idea.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Mine is the pain in the *kitten* type. I am not on any asthma meds as I wasn't seeing a difference. No need for the extra steroid inhaler if it does nothing for me.

Try a different med. I LOATHED Advair...I had every nasty side-effect. Switched to Qvar and it makes a huge difference. I really recommend a steroid in MDI packaging that allows use of a spacer device. More of the med will get into your lungs, that way. Same with use of a rescue Albuterol inhaler.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Try a different med. I LOATHED Advair...I had every nasty side-effect. Switched to Qvar and it makes a huge difference. I really recommend a steroid in MDI packaging that allows use of a spacer device. More of the med will get into your lungs, that way. Same with use of a rescue Albuterol inhaler.

Agreed. Not one med works on all people. I tried several before I found Advair, and it's changed my life. Singular (which works for a lot of people) didn't help me in the slightest.