Just wondering...

Options
How many calories do you eat or did you eat to produce weight loss? Today is my 2-Month anniversary and I have decided to increase my calories by a little over hundred. I used a calorie deficit calculator with a 1000 calorie deficit and took 300 more calories from the recommended amount. During half of the month I'm going to take 200 more from the recommended amount. I pretty much came up with this plan myself in attempt to mix the calories up. How do you do it on a month to month bases? Do you eat 1200? I personally do not like eating only 1200 a day, I need at least 1300.

Replies

• ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Happy 2 months, I'm about a week behind.
    I eat 1300 and I usually eat back most of my exercise calories. I started on 1200 but I calculated that was probably a bit low for me (plus I felt weak and hungry). I intend to see how I go and then I might up it again as I get nearer to my goal.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat 1300 calories a day, just up your exercise. You can eat the calories you burn doing exercise and loose weight.

The 'trick' is to find a way to be healthy that you can do your whole life.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 5 months and when MFP started me at 1200 i just kept it. Some days i eat more and some days i eat less...same for eating back my exercise calories....i totally go by how i feel ...i have yet to feel under nourished , weak, hungry etc on the 1200 and i have lost 58 lbs so far. Some days when i eat too many over i just feel blah...mostly just go by how i feel but mostly try to at least hit the 1200 .
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 or more.

I found this topic to be VERY helpful for setting up my calorie and macro goals - works great: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

MFP had me at 1200 when I first started - definitely not enough - my BMR is nearly 1400 per day, so 1200 was way too low - probably is for most people. As a rule, I make sure I always at least NET my BMR (around 1360) - if I need that many calories in a coma, I for sure need that many and more while I'm up walkin' and talkin' all day, and exercising as well. :bigsmile:
  • staubng
    staubng Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat or did you eat to produce weight loss? Today is my 2-Month anniversary and I have decided to increase my calories by a little over hundred. I used a calorie deficit calculator with a 1000 calorie deficit and took 300 more calories from the recommended amount. During half of the month I'm going to take 200 more from the recommended amount. I pretty much came up with this plan myself in attempt to mix the calories up. How do you do it on a month to month bases? Do you eat 1200? I personally do not like eating only 1200 a day, I need at least 1300.

Good question, it's a matter of different amounts for different people depending on their biology and physiology. I started July 27th at 272 on MFP. I plugged in for a sedentry lifestyle and had it calculate for 2lb loss per week and then it was about 4 months of trial and error and looking over all my data to see where my plateaus were and could determine where my Starvation Mode kicked in. For me, I net between 600 - 1000 calories per day after walking. I don't do vigorous excercise, just walk EVERYwhere. Its averaging about 8 - 11 lbs loss per month as a result. Time in terms of your emotional commitment is your biggest adversary. if you focus on how long it is taking, it gets discouraging. But then you look back 7 months and think "damn". Just remember, its scientifically impossible to lose weight over long term on a calorie defecit, so you have to find your balance between where your body slows its loss and where it stays constant, but if you're always in a defecit, you will lose it.

Good luck friend.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1400 a day.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1430, but to be quite honest, i can't eat that. I used to freak out when i was set at1700 .. I thought, " I'm going to go so over" but if you look at my diary you will see that I'm under all the time. I can't eat that much stuff. . . I do try though.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!