Rain gear for running ?

Options
Lately it started to rain here and I need something to protect my body and head. I carry a lot of electronics so it needs to be completely waterproof, not a drop allowed. Also it never goes below 10 C (50 F) so anything too thick will be too warm.
Any recommendations or advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ziplock bags and bluetooth electronics.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    X-1 Audio makes great products for athletes that are water and sweatproof and the quality is excellent. I use their stuff all the time and love it for both in and out of water training. http://www.x-1.com/ Good luck!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    check a dive shop or sporting goods store that sells kayaks for stuff for your electronics. I bought a waterproof small puch, very durable, for my phone and ipod years ago when I lived in Florida. Used it while kayaking, rowing, on diveboats and the most memorable time during a torrential downpour (hurricane) during a search for a neighbors lost dog. Never any moisture problems
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I tried waterproofing my phone and it works and the headphones are bt and the hrm strap is waterproof, but I don't want to get wet or fear about these things shorting out. It's a very comfortable setup so I'm just looking for a shell to cover my body and head.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Bump for 49ers fans worldwide.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a jacket, it's going to be difficult to find something to keep you cool. All the heat you generate will be trapped.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    If you're looking for a jacket, it's going to be difficult to find something to keep you cool. All the heat you generate will be trapped.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Many garments are claimed at being dry and breathable but I can't tell which one actually delivers.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I've got the latest high performance jackets for rock climbing and mountain biking, but none of them breath well enough for running in. I bough a windproof jacket (very thin/light weight jacket) that isn't waterproof but will keep the wind off and breaths better than any goretex/similar product. You'r going to be wet, from sweat or rain, the important thing is staying warm. Two ways: keep moving and keep the wind off your core!

Just my thoughts, from years of physical activity in all weathers/climates.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For that temp range, I just run in my normal running clothes and use a zip lock baggie for my iphone- the touch screen works through the baggie and you are getting wet anyway, so a rain jacket won't do you any good. If you are cold, try a long sleeve shirt of one of the teck fabrics, many types will work as intended- wet or dry.

Anything that keeps you dry will trap so much sweat that you'll be just as wet as if you didn't wear rain gear. At least that has been my experience.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You have heavenly weather for running in the rain. No special clothing needed, simply avoid cotton.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Thank you guys that is very helpful, you just saved me ~150$ for what would probably be a high tech trash bag.