Motion Sickness

Options
I've tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred a few times, and have had the same unfortunate results each time; I get sick. I've tried eating before doing it, not eating, doing it in the morning, doing it at night and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I ALWAYS get super nauseous and/or actually physically get sick. Someone suggested I may be getting motion sick, which I thought to be absurd, but having tried a few other workouts that involve jumping around I've come to the conclusion that maybe it isn't so absurd after all :( I don't get car sick, but I do get plane sick, and apparently now jumping jack sick -sigh-...

My question though is this: is there anything I can do to combat this? I REALLY want to do this workout and complete it (especially after all this)! I know they sell motion sickness medicine, but I don't know if taking it before working out is the safest thing to do. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? What did you do?

Replies

• hellokitty41489
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why get stuck on this one silly workout. It is not for you. Pick one of the other 3 million workouts available for home use. Just my advice. Regift that workout and pick again.
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    Now it's just a matter of it being frustrating that I can't do it, which makes me want to do it even more. It isn't just this one though, it's really anything that involves jumping around, or where you're going down/getting back up quickly repeatedly. I just have a hard time believing I'm the only one with this issue and I'm curious how others handle it.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    There are Scopalomine patches you can get to help with motion sickness that last for 3 days, that being said I wouldn't recommend having them on all the time seeing as theyre for Vertigo. Are you getting vertigo or just nausea? Try upping your water intake. I know, you probably think you're getting enough now BUT seriously, drink as much as you can and see what happens, you may be very surprised. When people are out of shape they can get super nauseous during workouts. Like someone above said, change up your workout. OR push through the nausea.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try taking some ginger. Its great for nausa.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    rest a few minutes between segments... when you first start a high intensity workout program its a shock to your body. Repeat the first level until you can complete it without resting between segments, then move on.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I might check with a doctor or acupuncturist, since the acupuncturists specifically are usually really smart about, "Oh that can indicate a problem with inner ear or digestive tract or first stage of some illness or whatever, or can be corrected by ginger or some other thing like an acupressure point on the wrist" (all possible, but I am not diagnosing), and I would rather know it than smash my head into exercise that makes me puke and just figure it's 'good for me' somehow. I got electrocuted a few years back, and get super-ill in cars, and it seems in my case to be *too much stimuli*, so the non-vital stuff (vision, walking, etc.) cuts off so I can keep breathing, although I get deathly almost-vomiting at the same time. Granted, that is extreme, but it turned out to be a brain thing, mostly involving stimuli processing and the corpus callosum: my brain didn't know what the hell was going on, and interpreted the fast motion and visual and sound stimuli as some serious threat to me. Your situation is probably very different, but I am pointing out that there could be a good explanation. I am not diagnosing, but maybe you have some sort of inner ear or brain-processing thing that is making this not work well for you, or are prone to esophageal reflex or something--I'd get it checked or at least discuss it with a good person. Good luck!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Do you have problems with allergies or your sinuses? That's my problem. I have terrible chronic sinus issues. All the time. Lots of things can be problematic because of it, even bending down to tie my shoes. I personally have a lot of problems doing Yoga because of my sinuses. There are so many poses where you are bending over, or have the head below the torso. It ususally ends in me feeling dizzy, and occassionaly I end up vomiting from it. So I really don't do it often, or I make sure to treat my sinuses beforehand if I really want to do Yoga that day. Anyway, a lot of aerobic-type moves can trigger that reaction too. The bouncing, turning, bending, getting up and down, etc.

OR...you cound be experiencing vaso-vagal response. You know that brief dizzy feeling you get when you stand up too fast? It's that thing. That's an issue with blood pressure and heart function (But not a BAD thing! I'm not trying to say you need a cardiologist, lol!!!). Some people are just more sensitive to sudden changes in body position, from horizontal to verticle, from low to high, etc.

Whatever it is, your body seems to be telling you that this is the wrong sort of thing for you to be doing. Listen to your body. Don't fight it. Find another exercise that you can complete strongly, without ending up feeling bad.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Try yoga.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life. I'm not sure where you are from, but in Canada a company called Gravol has created an herbal supplement out of ginger that has totally changed my life. It is basically concentrated ginger in a pill or lozenge format, and it is totally amazing.

http://gravol.ca/en/products/natural-source/gravol®-natural-source-ginger-filmkote®-tablets/

If you aren't in Canada, I would suggest buying candied ginger and eating a small piece before exercising. Ginger is a natural anti-nauseant and honestly works wonders for me.

Good luck!