Need Advice Please! (Men especially)

Options
So it is with much joy that my boyfriend seems to have hopped on my getting healthy bandwagon (after months of giving me crap about it). Anyways, now he's always asking me question on what's healthy and not. Which is wonderful, we had a delightful long discussion about sodium the other day and when its good and bad for you. Diet wise, I feel like I have a lot to offer him in terms of his health, but fitness..................not so much.
So my bf is
6'1"
approx 170lbs (he's down 5, and wants to lose another 10 - he's a skinny guy)
has fairly built arms (works on a farm) but not much else in terms of muscle
He says he doesn't want to be buff, but wants to be all lean muscle (like, no six pack, or big arms)
The one example he's given me of what body he'd like is Jeffrey Donovan (dude from Burn Notice, sorry couldn't find a good picture for reference)
What CONCERNS me about the way he looks now - not to be mellow dramatic - but he looks a little bit a person that's starving - you can see all of his ribs, but yet his stomach kinda swells out. I, of course, love him just how he is, but his continual weight dropping does worry me sometimes.
So guys - what do you got for me? What kind of exercise and eating should my man be doing? Any advice is very welcome :smile:

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Get some protein in that boy!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Get some protein in that boy!

i know - we're working on protein and complex carbs - but he's the pickiest damn eatter
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Stength training. He'll lean out nicely.

Edit: As far as eating goes I would say eat to maintain weight. He'll see alot of progress mostly because of newbie gains. He can worry about cutting/bulking later if he needs to.
  • miconn
    miconn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters protein and lots of it along with strength training seems to be indicated. At 6' 1" and 170, he doesn't need to lose weight, but should actually look to put on 5 - 10 lbs of muscle. If works on a farm, he could try You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) body-weight program. It's focus is on functional strength gains rather than getting ripped. Working on the farm, there should be lots of opportunity to do YAYOG-type exercises during his work-day, with the bonus that the work should actually become easier over time as he gains strength.

YAYOG is available as a book, e-book and apps for IOS and Android. Not affiliated at all, but really like the program and am very pleased with my results.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Is he drinking a lot (beer or otherwise)? That can contribute to tummy fat.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Get him a free consultation with a trainer, most gyms offer one free session. They may be able to help him more specifically.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work it takes to get "too big". Getting a 6 pack and huge arms really isn't something you can get by "accidently" get from working out a little to much. I think the best advice is to hit strength training full bore and see where it gets him. If at some point he feels he is getting too big, he can always tone it down, but honestly I have never heard of, never mind actually met anyone who ever felt that way.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/jeffrey-donovans-emburnem-body-workout

That's his workout routine, but I am also would be willing to bet anything that that's not all he does.

Googling Donovan, it seems he is about 6' - 6' 1" tall and around 183 pounds. If that's the build your boyfriend wants, sounds like he needs to put on weight, not just lose fat. Losing another 10 pounds of fat, would mean he would want to add close to 20 lbs of muscle to get a similar build to what he wants.