Insanity AND running? Help!

Options
I really, really want to try Insanity. I have been working out religiously for a while and have raised my fitness level, and I think the New Year is a great time for the challenge. I only have one problem - I've been training for a 5K, and want to sign up for one this summer. This has been a dream of mine for my whole life. Now, I am aware that Insanity is, well, insane, and I'm not sure how to keep my running up while doing Insanity.

I also am doing weight lifting (only 25 pounds each arm, 6 reps most exercises) and yoga, but I figure I'll get stronger with Insanity and won't have to keep up my regular weightlifting schedule. I also go jogging with my friend, however she is a very, very beginner and can only jog about a minute and a half at a time where as I can jog about 20 minutes straight at a decent pace. I am assuming I can still go jogging with her after doing insanity as we mostly power walk. :smile:

Should I take a little longer to complete Insanity and add two running days a week? Do you think I will die if I do Insanity and go for a run later (the answer to that question is probably YES)? Should I wait to tackle Insanity when I can give it my full attention? OR should I just incorporate a couple Insanity workouts in with my running?

Replies

• GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I am kind of in a similar predicament. I run daily and practice yoga and pilates several times per week. I'm planning to start New Rules of Lifting for Women in January. My thought has been to back my running down to 2 or 3 days per week (on the same days that I do yoga and pilates) and do NROLW on alternate days, leaving one day per week for rest. Maybe a schedule like that would work for you?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    NROLFW and Insanity are two different things. Insanity is primarily high intensity cardio and it doesn't really leave room for adding in ANYTHING else without the very high possibility of overtraining or injury. Not only that but it is virtually impossible to eat enough to keep up with your newfound nutritional requirements while keeping to clean eating. NROLFW on the other hand promotes adding in your own cardio as all it is, is weight training. The pilates you'll want to cut out, but the Yoga you can keep (as long as you limit it to one day a week). Running is also okay to keep.

As a general rule most of these pre-fab programs weren't designed to accommodate adding in all that much additional exercise. If you want something that will allow you to keep your running, and your yoga, and your pilates, you're going to have to put together your OWN schedule from scratch and not follow a pre-fab program. And remember when doing so that pilates constitutes moderately high intensity resistance training (due to the isometrics involved in many exercises) and as such should take the PLACE of a weights workout in your schedule. Not supplement it.

TL;DR: "I want to do X program but I also want to add in X additional exercise" is almost always guaranteed to failure, injury, or slow results.. Follow the schedule to the letter or put your own program together from scratch after educating yourself a bit about what it takes to put together a solid program.
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I really, really want to try Insanity. I have been working out religiously for a while and have raised my fitness level, and I think the New Year is a great time for the challenge. I only have one problem - I've been training for a 5K, and want to sign up for one this summer. This has been a dream of mine for my whole life. Now, I am aware that Insanity is, well, insane, and I'm not sure how to keep my running up while doing Insanity.

I also am doing weight lifting (only 25 pounds each arm, 6 reps most exercises) and yoga, but I figure I'll get stronger with Insanity and won't have to keep up my regular weightlifting schedule. I also go jogging with my friend, however she is a very, very beginner and can only jog about a minute and a half at a time where as I can jog about 20 minutes straight at a decent pace. I am assuming I can still go jogging with her after doing insanity as we mostly power walk. :smile:

Should I take a little longer to complete Insanity and add two running days a week? Do you think I will die if I do Insanity and go for a run later (the answer to that question is probably YES)? Should I wait to tackle Insanity when I can give it my full attention? OR should I just incorporate a couple Insanity workouts in with my running?

You'd be hard pressed to try and do Insanity and run at the same time, I honestly think you'd be overworking your body. I just finished week 2 of insanity, it's a whole lot of cardio and you need to be able to recover. Lol my answer would be yes you'd die
  • Dsmcgrail
    Options
    I was in your same predicament. I chose to run, every other day, doing the C25K program and put off insanity. My 5k was planned (and paid for) for the 1/1/13 Commitment day run. Well, the day I finished the C25k program, I got a stress fracture in my foot. No running, no 5k, no insanity. 6-8 weeks. Make sure you got some good shoes, and I would wait to do the insanity until after your 5k.
  • kimby1119
    kimby1119 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting Insanity tomorrow! :noway: I also like to run, but thankfully am not training for anything right now. I plan to focus solely on the Insanity program. If it's as "insane" as people keep saying it is, I don't think I'll have the energy to do anything else! Good luck to you with running and with Insanity, whenever you decide to do it! :happy:
  • Lucy177
    Options
    Yes, that's the problem. I' ve been running a lot for the last one and a half years but I've had several injuries. I pulled my hip flexor muscle, hurt my calves, have had colds, coughs and flu. Each time I haven' t been able to run for three weeks! I've committed to a marathon this March and I can' t afford to be sick. It's bad enough when it's raining but I still need to train. I have loads of vitamins and take vitamin C through the day. I would love to do insanity but just the stomach exercises at the moment. Has anyone tried the Slim 6 DVD?
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting Insanity tomorrow! :noway: I also like to run, but thankfully am not training for anything right now. I plan to focus solely on the Insanity program. If it's as "insane" as people keep saying it is, I don't think I'll have the energy to do anything else! Good luck to you with running and with Insanity, whenever you decide to do it! :happy:

Haha trust me, you won't want to do anything else, nor would I suggest it
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I attempted-not the word ATTEMPTED to do this with P90x. I would WALK with a friend for 1 hour right after school started. Eat, then do P90X. It lasted about 3 weeks until my body was SO tired, SO ravenous--I was TIRED all the time, even after naps and going to bed early and I couldn't eat enough to recover all of the calories I was burning. P90X is set up with different workouts each day-arms and back, legs, etc. If you want to train for your 5K, do 2-3 days of running and do 1 or 2 days of the insanity workouts, but don't even THINK about doing them on the same day.
  • Lucy177
    Options
    I think I will leave it until after the race! it sounds so exciting though. I really want to join you guys! I bought myself an air conditioning unit so I have no excuse even if the weather is too warm. Good luck everyone!
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is my workout. I run 4-5 times a week. at least 3 miles a day. I do insanity 3x a week to condition my body to run faster. i do a yoga once a week for flexibility. i am not a fitness expert but this is similar to what i used to do when i ran track and cross country in high school and college.
  • cholderer
    cholderer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both at the same time but I have cut back the number of miles and the intensity of my running while doing Insanity. I usually run 3-4 times a week depending on what Isanity workouts were done and how I'm feeling. The runs range from 2-4 miles depending on how I'm feeling and all of those factors usually at 8 min mile pace or around there. I usually use the runs as a way to stretch out and release some of the lactic acid built up (I think it makes me less sore for the next day too). Even just running a quarter to a half mile helps in the soreness too. I usually plan running on the next days workout. So I know not to run before (as in the day before) a plyometrics day but it's usually ok if I run before Cardio resistance and power or Pure Cardio but usually my runs come the day before a recovery day or a rest day because then I know I have a day to stretch it out or rest if needed. Or if you're really sore then I suggest going for a slow, stretch out run on the recovery day or rest day just to get your muscles moving and get some of the lactic acid out. Or swimming works in the same fashion with the stretching it out concept.

But I'm also still pretty fresh out of high school athletics. I swam and ran in high school and I was in a constant state of soreness and beat up muscles for weeks/months at a time. We did crossfit along with all the cardio and strength practices so I getting through the soreness and the tiredness of Insanity may be a little easier for me.

Always listen to your body though. If it's telling you no, it hurts (actual pain, not just soreness) then don't do it but I have found it works for me.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think I'm going to stick to my schedule and incorporate a couple insanity work outs. I think that my 5k should come first, and I'll be able to give Insanity my maximum effort when I eventually do start the program! It's great hearing from people in similar situations.