Any swimmers out there?

Options
Just a quick scan of recent posts on here seem to be either heavy lifting or running with a sprinkling of yoga.

Are there any swimmers out there? This thought only came to me since I am suffering a sharp pain in one knee when I am running and plan to switch to swimming while I am waiting for a doctor to examine the problem.

I am lucky to be able to swim in the sea in summer, but have always switched to running over winter as I have always felt too fat to be walking around a swim pool in trunks. Now I am a bit leaner, I don't feel so shy. Maybe this winter is my year.

Replies

• traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have recently started swimming again. I have found it a very good form of exercise. I too turned to swimming after a knee injury, and even though I have been given full clearance, I still swim every other day.
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    I am currently training for Search and rescue school and here are a list of sights that have great swimming workouts and good info. I swim everyday and these are phenomenal sites that help get good results.

www.swimplan.com <http://www.swimplan.com/&gt; What I use to do my noon 30-45 min swim workouts. Sign up is free and the workouts are free.

www.sealfit.com <http://www.sealfit.com/&gt; I don’t do their normal WODs. Instead, I do their SOF Candidate WODs. They are more geared towards training for SF Selection. They have a mix of running, body weight stuff, and swimming. I don’t follow these day to day; I pick and choose which ones look good.

www.sealswcc.com <http://www.sealswcc.com/&gt; They have a 6 month pre buds schedule that tells you how much to run/swim per day and what exercises to do. The program is laid out in an easy to read table for week to week planning purposes.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I am a summer swimmer. Next year I have to up the distance because I want to complete my first triathlon. Should be fun.
  • phatphd
    Options
    I swim! All year long, 3-4 days a week, usually an hour of drills. 40 degrees and raining outside? I'm still in the pool... :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies - good to know I am not the only swimmer out there. In summer I am almost exclusively an open water swimmer in the sea, local lakes and rivers. It makes sense that I would pool train through winter but I have always been shy of going to the pool - not so much now, I plan to start pool swimming in the new year.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a swimmer. I have had 2 arthroscopic knee surgeries and my weight made it hard to even walk. I am a 61 year old female. I started swimming in the summer of 2011 and joined the YMCA that fall. I began swimming 500M freestlye. As I got faster I added more distance for the same amount of time. It took me 6 months to be able to swim a mile. The last 8 months I have switched from all freestyle to about half breaststroke and freestyle. At present I swim 100M breast, 150M freestyle with the last 25M as fast as my short body will go. I alternate this way until I've reached my mile. It still takes me an hour to complete. I love it and it is the only kind of exercise I will keep doing. Good luck.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just got bad news this week about my knee & decided to give swimming a try - funny timing to come across this post! I'm going to look into some local training & hope to use the pool at the gym on a regular basis.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes I swim and I also run lengths in the pool. I love swimming and do mainly breaststroke I promise i will work on my freestyle soon. I swim 2-3x per week now. I have a bad knee and given my weight find it is a great low impact exercise. Go fellow swimmers.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I swim in the summer only at my neighbor's pool usually. I used to have a Y membership but let it lapse as there is only so much time and driving 20 minutes to get to a pool is 20 minutes I could be running instead. Going with the flow of the seasons.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a ripped disc in my back so swimming is really good exercise for me, I try to swim 5 days a week and swim a mile each time :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    You are all a real inspiration to me - I'm definitely going to the pool as soon as it re-opens!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I've been a swimmer my entire life. There are all sizes, ages, and swimming-abilty people at public pools. You'll meet new friends. Just go, no one cares about your weight at the pool...and it's a great way to feel like summer.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am using a pull buoy to help rehabilitate my knee - the act of pushing off the wall and kicking was still causing a bit of grief so my physio suggested the pull-buoy and wow it makes a huge difference.

Now I just need to really build up my stamina as my breathing can be a bit suspect!!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great swimmer but do really enjoy it (hence my member name!) I do aqua aerobic classes too which are great fun and easier on the joints.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Hi WaterBunnie - great to meet you!

I wasn't a great swimmer until I took the first tentative steps out into wild water - first the sea when it was calm, then a still, safe lake with friends for safety. Now I love it and get out whenever I can.

I am still around two stone overweight but I am seeing this come off steadily with swimming, bodyweight exercises and yoga. Loving the process.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I swim April to November. Can't wait to see how far I've come in the spring.