eating back exercise calories..the point?

Options

Replies

• Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Joy, I read the op link you posted.....

That person is a yoYo eater... Of course they will gain weight etc. if they are also not getting proper macros during a vlcd they will feel like that person did. Overall that person didn't seem to know what they were doing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    edit to say Bahh ha ha, morebean. We typed the same response verbatim. :laugh: You are obviously operating on moar coffee/faster.

:bigsmile: It is funny- even the paragraph structure is the same! GET OUTTA MY HEAD!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Joy, I read the op link you posted.....

That person is a yoYo eater... Of course they will gain weight etc. if they are also not getting proper macros during a vlcd they will feel like that person did. Overall that person didn't seem to know what they were doing.

*facepalms* Okay. Well, either it works and you'll be fit and healthy or you'll end up like some of the others on the thread. Best of luck to you on your endeavors.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    edit to say Bahh ha ha, morebean. We typed the same response verbatim. :laugh: You are obviously operating on moar coffee/faster.

:bigsmile: It is funny- even the paragraph structure is the same! GET OUTTA MY HEAD!

It almost annoys me, because I hate to answer something that has already been said, and said so wel.....don't know how I missed your post....but then, this is why I try to get in on the first 10 posts in a thread...unless it's a really good trollolol thread :tongue:
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i bet theres a mercola article for this :laugh:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The REAL point is promoting FAT LOSS over tissue and muscle mass depletion. In order to lose weight your body needs a certain amount of NUTRITION (notice I didn't say calories) to burn fat via liver processes and build/tone/maintain lean muscle mass.

Exercise uses energy and causes your body to work harder than if you are just doing nothing. Most calorie consumption calculations (including MFP) for weight loss assume ZERO exercise - that is the deficit you start with. If you add exercise, your deficit increases. TOO large a deficit robs your body of NUTRITION. When that happens, your body begins to use muscle and tissue for energy because there is no FAT to ENERGY conversion possible in the body without the functions of the liver.

The liver needs energy and nutrients to convert fat. The liver has a finite capacity. It can only convert so much fat within a 24 hour period. If you are eating at a deficit larger than the liver can keep up with, then muscle and tissue are used for energy.

Everyone talks about WEIGHT loss, but most of us are hoping for FAT loss. Exercising helps build/tone/retain muscles. Eating at a deficit that is in line with your liver activity allows your body to work 'normally' to use stored fat, not existing muscle and tissue to maintain essential functions. Therefore, if you are eating at a deficit and DON'T eat back enough NUTRITION for body functions, fat is retained while muscle and tissue is depleted. Your weight may go down, but your looks and health are compromised.
  • CoachDuhamNC
    Options
    Hey you got some ok advice in these responses but none truly explain what you're asking. You ask why workout if you have to eat back your calories? Try to think of it like this; You take a VW Bug to a drag race track to do the 1/4 mile. The bug goes down the track and it takes say 45 sec. just for the sake of conversation. Now the bug has a round shape, looks more like a ball and is slow, however it doesn't hardly use much fuel to get down the track. The bug also only has maybe 145 horsepower.

Now picture this; you take a top-fuel drag race car out to the track. The top-fuel car is lean, and sleek, it looks really good. So it goes down the track and say it takes 4 sec. just for the sake of conversation. The top-fuel racer goes down the track 10 times faster than the VW bug and it looks a hell of a lot better while it's doing the same job, and it has maybe 650 horsepower so it takes maybe 10 times more fuel to travel the same distance.

So now I have a question for you. Which would you rather be at the drag race track, the VW Bug or the Top-fuel race car?
    I choose to look like and run like the Top-Fuel race car.

I hope this helps you to understand what it truly is that you're trying to achieve. If I can help in any other way please send me a friend request.:wink:

Thanks
    CoachDuhamNC
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Read his past posts. He's a 28-year old male who believes starving himself is the best way to lose weight. 'Nuff said.

I'm just glad that I am losing weight eating more than twice as much as he does, even with a desk job. :bigsmile:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Look at the graphic on your main page.
    Imagine that it tells you that you have a calorie goal of 1400 calories for each day.
    Imagine that you burn 300 calories with exercise today.
    And imagine that you ate 1600 calories in food today.

1600 calories - 300 calories = 1300 net calories.

1400 calorie goal - 1300 net calories = 100 calorie deficit.

Deficit = weight loss.

Your goal calories is your net goal, not your food intake goal.

No, the calorie goal MFP gives you ALREADY INCLUDES a deficit. Usually a hefty one, depending on how you set it up. If you chose to lose 1lb/week, you have a 500 calorie daily deficit built in, so in your example, the deficit for that person would be 600. If you chose 2lbs/wk, that's 1000 cals per day deficit, so in your example, 1100 calorie deficit. You can see how easily the deficit can get huge if you don't eat exercise calories back.

Ahhhh! Too much math on a Saturday morning!! LOL. But yes, I see where I messed that up. Bottom line, eating back what you burned is healthy. MFP has you on enough of a deficit to lose weight with no exercise at all. Add in exercise changes the equation. You have to eat the calories to put the equation back to where it originated.
    Isn't it Sunday???

Oh, crud. I think I'll just stop talking now, lol.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The interrupter in this thread is hillarious. Says were all wrong and offers nothing to the contrary. Perhaps he's the food whisperer?
  • GetFit187
    Options
    Hey im really confused from what results im recieving from the elliptical computer it say ive burned 150cals after smashing 7 1/2 miles in 32mins is this just inacurate or is that what im supposed to be getting really seems to less to be true ?
  • Cptrob
    Options
    The interrupter in this thread is hillarious. Says were all wrong and offers nothing to the contrary. Perhaps he's the food whisperer?

Yes let me explain the research so everyone can then type 20 more pages of what Johnny so and so told them a few years ago as gospel... Do as you please.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yes let me explain the research so everyone can then type 20 more pages of what Johnny so and so told them a few years ago as gospel... Do as you please.

It's quite a jump to say you can't be bothered to share the research- you haven't even said what your position is, with the exception of vague references to people being wrong. We're waiting with bated breath to figure who is wrong and about what. 'Cause you seem really knowledgeable and trustworthy.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Cptrob
    Options

It's quite a jump to say you can't be bothered to share the research- you haven't even said what your position is, with the exception of vague references to people being wrong. We're waiting with bated breath to figure who is wrong and about what. 'Cause you seem really knowledgeable and trustworthy.

no,no,no... i retract my criticism.. Everything on this thread is spot on.. Carry on....

'cause you seem to have it under control...
  • Cptrob
    Options
    on a positive note.. really awesome before and after pics MoreBean! Great work!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Exactly. That's her proof. She practices what she preaches and we all love her for it.

What's yours?
  • Cptrob
    Options

Exactly. That's her proof. She practices what she preaches and we all love her for it.

What's yours?

No proof. Like i said, everyone is correct. My mistake
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

What's yours?

No proof. Like i said, everyone is correct. My mistake

LOL!! Here's some more proof:

2012-10-23063957-1.jpg

So where are the VLCD people (or whatever the hell stance it is you were going on about) who have done anything resembling this ^^^? Oh, and that's in 3mos. Purely eating at a small deficit and lifting for 1hr 3x a week. NOTHING more.

Oh, and I ate back my exercise calories :).
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I can't read your sarcasm to tell if this is genuine or intended as a dig. But, I'm good at choosing how I want to hear things- so, THANKS! :bigsmile: