Question for phentermine users

Options
I'm seriously considering taking this drug. I have an appointment with a "diet Dr", and I'm going to make an appointment with my primary care doc before that appointment to see what he thinks. My sis-in-law is on it, and swears by it. I have been eating well and exercising 5 days a week. I've never worked so hard at losing weight as I am right now, and I'm losing at a remarkably slow rate as I'm sure many people on this website can complain of right next to me. My intentions are to get to my goal weight quickly. My deadline for weight loss is coming up in May. I've lost 2 inches to my waist in 4 months, and I wanted to lose 2 more by the end of May for my sister's wedding. YIKES! I have read many of the bad and good reviews on it. Is there anyone out there who took it for the tail end of their weight loss adventure, stopped it, and maintained their goal weight??? Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Replies

• rhstyles
    rhstyles Posts: 36
    Options
    I took this for about 3 weeks and quickly lost 15 pounds. I had to force myself to eat b/c I never felt hungry. It was an amazing drug. Saying that you can not take it forever. I decided to stop taking it (which can be hard b/c your body becomes addicted to it) to see how my eating would change. Needless to say I am back at my begining weight. After a few days of being off this medicine the urge to eat came back stronger than before. So in my experience--yes it works quickly and wonderfully no--it does not last and can not be maintained for a lifetime. Be very careful if you do decide to try it, look online (www.rxlist.com) or some drug book and read the information--like most diet pills it is not worth the risk. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions let me know.
    ~Rebekah~
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    My advice...BE CAREFUL!!! My sister had used it and ended up having heart problems as a result. It caused her to have mitral valve problems--heart reflux.
    Any "quick fix" is usually just that...not a long term solution!
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I work in a clinic and our doctors only give it to people who need to " fit in that little black dress" for a special occ... I did take it, lost 18lbs in one month, doctor took me off of it cause I did so well on it, I gained 25lbs back...Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I took it 13 yrs ago and did lose the weight. BUT gained it all back. once you stop it your eating habits return. It did not teach me to eat healthy and work out hard, so ofcourse when the meds were gone the old routine started back. I am healthier now at 38 than I was then @ 25 because I eat healthy and exercise daily...there really is no other option to being healthy. I have taken many wt loss pills in my life and none of them worked long term.
    If you do take it, be careful and learn good eating habits and exercise!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm going to cancel my appointment. I just wanted to hear from one person who kept the weight off, and apparently that doesn't exist. I'm going to the wedding as is. Even with the weight I'll still be pretty :o)
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm on it now and it all depends how you use it. I was excercising and eating right and lost 25 ibs on my own before I started. I used the pill not for energy or a quick fix, but because my appetite was out of control. Spending so many years binge eating had stretched my stomach and made it think I had to eat all the time and in large portions. I'm now able to eat regular portions, it helped curb my appetite to get me used to eating normal qualities at normal intervals. I have always made sure I eat atleast 1200 cals a day and I still excercise. I have also taken breaks on it and I have been just fine with or without the pill. I haven't lost weight any faster. Still only averaging 10-12lbs a month/2.5 a week
    '
  • pricesus
    pricesus Posts: 10
    Options
    I took it a few years ago. While it does curb the appetite.... gives you energy.... nothing is a subsitute for making the right food choices. The weight came off quickly, but quickly went back on because I went back to my old ways. We are all trying to lose weight, but the real challenge comes when we get to that goal and need to maintain. We need to make our food choices, our portion size, and exercise.... a way of life. I am the classic yo-yo dieter. I know what I need to do...maybe this time I will get it right!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    MLV33,

I saw your pic and you are so very lovely girl. I may be old (55) but if there is one thing I've learned. You're beauty will shine through to the outside. What you want is to be healthy and happy. Take your time. Go to the wedding and spend the day really liking yourself just exactly the way you are right this minute.

Because if you don't like yourself right now, you won't weighing any less.

I think what all people love in another person is their smile. Go and be happy!:smile:
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using phentermine, doing the calorie counting and whatever exercise I can fit in. My life right now doesnt afford much workout time and I'm a stress eater. My doc is watching me and I'm losing SLOWLY - about 1 - 1.5 a week, I'm also only using 12.5 mg a day, just enough to kill my appetite. I'm NOT using it for the quick fix. Its helping me make good choices, I'm not as hungry, and because I'm changing what I'm eating I'm not craving the sweets like I used to.

Obviously, its a personal decision, but I think that if you stay with your doc's advice and care it can do what you need it to. I tried some of the vitamin supplements that were laced with caffeine or extra B vitamins - those were a nightmare! I like how this is helping me feel more in control of my body, what, and how much I eat. Again - personal choice :) Good luck!